Author Topic: TCS - invisible to passives?  (Read 1344 times)

Offline Vynadan (OP)

• Lt. Commander
  • V
TCS - invisible to passives?
« on: August 15, 2011, 01:53:05 PM »
I've been playing around with satellites and OWPs (since I'm playing a maintenance free game) and wondered if there's any way for passive sensors to pick up an object without engines and no EM signature? As far as I understand it the TCS is only revealed by active sensors so even my huge OWP should be invisible to everyone but those with enabled active sensors? Or is there some kind of we're-looking-out-the-window mechanic that reveals designs at certain distances, perhaps or perhaps not counted in on how large the target is?

Offline Jacob/Lee

• Lt. Commander
  • (Where I got this .gif beats me!)
Re: TCS - invisible to passives?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 04:20:05 PM »
In my experience, I've had enemies fall off the map once they shut down their engines when they were losing a battle. Seriously, in the middle of my weapon fire they shut down the engines and I had to camp the spot until they either opened fire or turned them back on. I'm not even sure what active sensors detect so I couldn't tell you what happens there.

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 05:57:20 PM »
No ship (base, etc.) is truly "without engines" - that "1 kms" speed (station-keeping drive, manoeuvring thrusters, whatever) every non-PDC unit gets means it has a thermal signature of at least 1.  Even a small-engin'd unit with high thermal reduction still has a thermal signature of at least 1.  Switch your thermal sensors display to show you the range at which you can pick up a strength-1 thermal contact, and that will show you the range inside of which nothing can truly be 'invisible' - it's also far in excess of the range at which you could see something by 'looking out the window'.

Offline Mel Vixen

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 06:02:01 PM »
Well shouldnt be the thermal 0 if you set the speed to 0?
"Share and enjoy, journey to life with a plastic boy, or girl by your side, let your pal be your guide.  And when it brakes down or starts to annoy or grinds as it moves and gives you no joy cause its has eaten your hat and or had . . . "

- Damaged robot found on Sirius singing a flat 5th out of t

Offline Vynadan (OP)

• Lt. Commander
  • V
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2011, 06:42:10 PM »
Makes sense Tim ... though the design screen shows engineless loadouts to have a thermal signature of zero? I guess it's just not displayed then?

Offline ardem

• Rear Admiral
  • a
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2011, 09:03:43 PM »
Regardless of Thermal your active sensor should of detected it.

Think of active sensor like a sonar system, where it pings for a target that get reflected by its cross section.

And you need an active sensor for targeting, you cannot target with a thermal sensor, so I think you did not have your active sensor switched on. Which is an action, not a passive sensor that works all the time.

Offline Brian Neumann

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2011, 09:06:55 AM »
Also if your orbital bases have shields up then they will have a passive EM signature.  EM passives detect two kinds of things.  One is the signature of an active sensor, which should include missile fire control all though that is fairly small normally.  It also detects shields when they are raised.  This can be quite a strong signall actually so be carefull about having shields on if you don't want them detected.  The best way I have found to make something like this work normally is around a planet.  Have a pdc with a really big active sensor or two.  I often have 1 sensor with a resolution of 1 that is 50 hull spaces in size, and another one with a resolution of 16.  This will give me a really long range look at anything coming in close.  Put lots of armor on that pdc as it will be a primary target.  As long as it is active however it is your eyes so the orbital bases can stay hidden.

Brian