Author Topic: multilingual support?  (Read 1447 times)

Offline namamono (OP)

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • n
multilingual support?
« on: September 25, 2014, 12:05:07 PM »
Hey guys.
I'm a Japanese player.  Thanks to Steam, I'm familiar with English and feel no obstruction during playing Aurora or gathering information about it.  Really great game and I've already spent >100 hours for it!
I love micromanagement.  I love Dwarf Fortress, Kerval Space Program, Factorio, Minecraft with Industrial Mods or other more common strategy as civ4 or Endless Space.

I'm uploading play report of Aurora on my blog, and some of my friends or other readers were interested in Aurora, but they could not start Aurora because Aurora contains too many English.
I know some of Japanese gamers are "micromanagement junkey" as I am, and I believe they like this great game.  Unfortunately, majority of Japanese tend to be discouraged when facing too many English. .

So I wondered if there were multilingal support in Aurora.
Not only Japanese, but also other languages will expand opportunities and possibilities.

hxxp: aurora2. pentarch. org/index. php/topic,4615. 15. html

In this thread, there seems to be many and many foreign transtlators who are motivated for translation.

I don't know program structure of Aurora, then don't know how much difficult the implementation of multilingual support is. 
But I'm so motivated to proivde translation, and ready to work.

I think just "externalizing" those in-game texts into a separated file(language file) and making Aurora. exe to read them will be enough.  We just rewrite it to change languages.

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Re: multilingual support?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2014, 12:55:59 PM »
You should add this to the official (or semi-official) suggestion thread. Separate threads are good for discussion, but Steve does not always track them.

Now on-topic. Localization in VB requires resource files, one per language and the forms and dialogs all need to be tokenized to accept the translations. As some example code from a program I am working on (intermittently) with localization:

Code: [Select]
        'localize the UI
        Me.Text = locRM.GetString("[TITLE]")
        Label1.Text = locRM.GetString("[LBL_TABLE]")
        cmdRead.Text = locRM.GetString("[CMD_READ]")
        btnReset.Text = locRM.GetString("[BTN_RESET]")
        cmdRunSQL.Text = locRM.GetString("[CMD_RUN]")
        rdoNonQuery.Text = locRM.GetString("[RDO_NON]")
        rdoDataset.Text = locRM.GetString("[RDO_DATA]")
That is just a small example. In the resource files (I have one for English, which is also the default when a specific language file does not exist; and one for German utilizing online translations, but I know enough German to at least verify most of it.) there are tokens like [TITLE]. This is matched to Design Mode Database Tool in English and Design-Modus-Datenbank-Tool in German.

So... tl;dr: It takes more than just a language file of all the strings. It requires a lot of program modifications also.