Author Topic: Government run trade ships?  (Read 1629 times)

Offline linkxsc (OP)

• Commander
Government run trade ships?
« on: August 31, 2015, 03:03:03 PM »
Thoughts. So I'm sure we all build some government controlled freighters at some point in our careers, but I find, that aside from movign minerals periodically, and occasionally some buildings and such... they spend a whole lot of time doing not much.
As it is now we can take a gov't built colony ship and command it with primary and secondary orders (or jsut basic orders) to constantly run colonists between planets, or cycle between target planets with colonists. This doesn't generate wealth like Shipping line colonist movement, but at least you can dictate what happens.

Now it might already be in the game and I'm not finding it. But is there an option to flag a gov't built freighter to either make traderuns or move between 2 planets moving trade goods?
I know that under primary/sec orders there is a "move to trade location" order, however it always comes up with an error "Special order can only be assigned to civilian transports"

Thoughts on this in general, perhaps it might be nice to be able to control revenue generation as the player, and perhaps avoid rampant slowdown due to possibly hundreds of civilian transports... that like to sit around at planets and do nothing.

Offline sneer

• Lt. Commander
  • s
Re: Government run trade ships?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2015, 11:11:02 AM »
less complicated would be to lease commercial ships to shipping lines
as long as it is leased you get paid and you can revoke contract anytime

Offline TheRowan

• Chief Petty Officer
Re: Government run trade ships?
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2015, 06:27:07 AM »
less complicated would be to lease commercial ships to shipping lines
as long as it is leased you get paid and you can revoke contract anytime

That's be very handy, and it'd give a use for Passenger accommodation on ships. A couple of other things that'd be good to add to commercial ships:

The ability to hire commmercial ships and place them under your control (like the Royal Navy's idea of Ships Taken Up From Trade), possibly with a hefty cash maintenance fee.

Naming for commercial ships... for each class of commercial ship, choose a random naming theme and then name the ships from that class with that theme prefixed by the company name (so Carson Interstellar Transport's ships would be named, for example, Carson Eagle and Carson Bluefinch rather than Carson F3 0001)