Author Topic: Change Log for 6.30 Discussion  (Read 31097 times)

Offline telegraph

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • t
Re: Change Log for 6.30 Discussion
« Reply #45 on: May 25, 2013, 08:59:21 AM »
Sure, engines doesn't need that energy.... :)  If this weapon could charge from engine then why not normal versions too?

Not quite so.
recharging from engines mean:
1. the power requirements of a spinal gun is far too big for small generators to be effective.
2. spinal guns recharge rate is therefore limited by capacitor technology (with perhaps a multiplier to allow several capacitors to charge in parallel) and by total EPH. This means that if you put a big spinal gun on a ship with a low-powered engine - the recharge rate will drop. This, among other things, mean that orbital engineless guns are impossible.
3. while weapon is recharging ship will be slowed down considerably. EPH is at premium on military ships, so this requirement limits spinal guns usage to a long-range artillery and last-resort defence.
4. Spinal guns effectively use fuel as ammunition. Thim might not be a first concern of a fleet-builder, but certainly something to consider.

Therefore: normal guns are ammunition-less, more versatile in terms of ships that can mount them (low-powered patrols, stationary gun-bouys, fighters), do not slow-down the ship while recharging.

Offline waresky

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
  • Alpine Mountaineer..ohh Yeah!
« Reply #46 on: May 25, 2013, 11:11:15 AM »
Please put discussion of Steve's 6.30 posts here.

John

TEN Years ive been "Follow" Steve's Dream...2003>>2013!!!! from early 1.0 to 6.3.

Waitn for :

TG icons on System Map (use real USA Navy icons)

Planetary map and Battle.

More easy and usefull Army system

Single ships with "Class" different map symbol, especially on System Map. DOT r very boring now..:)

Change from BLUE to DARK on System Map background. Blue r coming from old game.

Enjoy on Italy vacation, Steve:)

Offline Zatsuza

• Chief Petty Officer
  • Z
« Reply #47 on: May 26, 2013, 06:29:05 AM »
TEN Years ive been "Follow" Steve's Dream...2003>>2013!!!! from early 1.0 to 6.3.

Waitn for :

Planetary map and Battle.

More easy and usefull Army system

Single ships with "Class" different map symbol, especially on System Map. DOT r very boring now..:)

Change from BLUE to DARK on System Map background. Blue r coming from old game.

Enjoy on Italy vacation, Steve:)

I've not followed aurora that long, but individual TG icons would be nice, e.g an icon for carrier groups, an icon for fighter squadrons and missiles... hehe...
System map colour should be changable by the player though, frankly I like the blue background. Reminds me of fleet command.

Offline niflheimr

• Lieutenant
  • n
« Reply #48 on: May 26, 2013, 12:59:08 PM »
I can't wait for 6.3 ... so many fun changes :)

Offline bean

• Rear Admiral
  • b
« Reply #49 on: May 26, 2013, 02:09:13 PM »
I'd recommend against that.  The icons in question are circles with either letters or very simple pictures in them.  The appropriate document is MILSTD 2525.  It's not much of an improvement, and they'd take up a lot more space on the screen.
This is Excel-in-Space, not Wing Commander - Rastaman

Offline sloanjh (OP)

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #50 on: July 13, 2013, 10:13:46 AM »
Missile Engine Size Granularity

The size of missile engines is now in 0.01 MSP increments instead of 0.1 MSP.

And there was much rejoicing :)

John

Offline Cocyte

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • C
« Reply #51 on: July 17, 2013, 06:17:54 AM »
Pluto's Moon real names? What about S/2004 N 1 ?

http://hubblesite.org/newscenter/archive/releases/solar-system/2013/30/

Offline Aloriel

• Lieutenant
« Reply #52 on: August 03, 2013, 10:30:21 AM »
I was just noticing Steve's latest post about v6. 30, with GUs having translated names.  However, I noticed that he had it saying 5th Legion etrangere (with the correct accents, of course - US keyboard :P).   

The problem is that it's not 5th in French.   It's 5e or 1er.   I'm sure there are similar changes in German and other languages.   

I'm not sure how hard it would be to make that change, but I am certain that the native speakers of the various languages would appreciate the proper systems for their ordinal numbering systems.   

For reference, you may want to check out this Wikipedia page:
en. wikipedia. org/wiki/Ordinal_indicator

I'm sure it's not complete, and may be inaccurate in some spots.   The few languages I knew were correct (and even cited common errors).     Native speakers would know more.     :)
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 10:33:29 AM by Aloriel »
Sarah
Game Developer in Unity and UE4 and 5

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #53 on: August 03, 2013, 10:45:33 AM »
I was just noticing Steve's latest post about v6. 30, with GUs having translated names.  However, I noticed that he had it saying 5th Legion etrangere (with the correct accents, of course - US keyboard :P).   

The problem is that it's not 5th in French.   It's 5e or 1er.   I'm sure there are similar changes in German and other languages.   

I'm not sure how hard it would be to make that change, but I am certain that the native speakers of the various languages would appreciate the proper systems for their ordinal numbering systems.   

For reference, you may want to check out this Wikipedia page:
en. wikipedia. org/wiki/Ordinal_indicator

I'm sure it's not complete, and may be inaccurate in some spots.   The few languages I knew were correct (and even cited common errors).     Native speakers would know more.     :)

Yes, I am aware of the differences for other languages. Once I start in that direction though, it is a very long road :). There are many languages and many places I could accomodate them. If I get an unexpected amount of free time I might start looking at making allowances for other languages but its not likely in the near future.

Steve

Offline Whitecold

• Commander
  • W
« Reply #54 on: August 03, 2013, 11:27:54 AM »
The addition of anomalies sounds interesting. What will we have to do to find out what type with which bonus we found? Is it given all initially by the geosurvey, or do we have to send a team to find out the details?

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #55 on: August 03, 2013, 11:46:15 AM »
The addition of anomalies sounds interesting. What will we have to do to find out what type with which bonus we found? Is it given all initially by the geosurvey, or do we have to send a team to find out the details?

At the moment you find the anomaly via geosurvey and you learn the bonus when you create a colony. I might add a requirement for a xenology team but that isn't coded atm.

Steve

Offline sloanjh (OP)

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #56 on: August 04, 2013, 09:44:03 AM »
At the moment you find the anomaly via geosurvey and you learn the bonus when you create a colony. I might add a requirement for a xenology team but that isn't coded atm.

(I assume that) the good news is that you can find out the moment you click on the "Create (empty) Colony" button.  So it's not resource intensive to find out (until you add the xeno team requirement).

John

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #57 on: August 04, 2013, 09:53:57 AM »
(I assume that) the good news is that you can find out the moment you click on the "Create (empty) Colony" button.  So it's not resource intensive to find out (until you add the xeno team requirement).

John

Yes, that's how it is working atm

Steve

Offline Thiosk

• Commodore
« Reply #58 on: August 05, 2013, 12:59:38 AM »
An interesting way to create value for normally untenable worlds: suddenly it makes sense to plop millions of citizens and dozens of research centers on a horrifically unsuitable planet.

Offline Mel Vixen

• Commander
« Reply #59 on: August 05, 2013, 04:36:50 AM »
it certainly makes the game quicker and gives you an edge over the NPRs. You could hit endgame TL pretty quick with a fitting scientists.
"Share and enjoy, journey to life with a plastic boy, or girl by your side, let your pal be your guide.  And when it brakes down or starts to annoy or grinds as it moves and gives you no joy cause its has eaten your hat and or had . . . "

- Damaged robot found on Sirius singing a flat 5th out of t