Author Topic: Solar Fleet Deployments as of 2036 (35)  (Read 7176 times)

Offline Kurt (OP)

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • 2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
Re: Solar Fleet Deployments as of 2036 (35)
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2009, 07:59:30 PM »
Quote from: "Paul M"
Looking at the sensor/missile fire control designer, 75 tons seems to give you a 1 HS Resolution 10 search sensor with a range of a few million km and a fire control system with twice that range from a 0.5 HS system.  Sufficient so that you can engage other fighters at 0.5-1 million km, far outside any beam armed fighters range.

I don't have a problem with a dedicated sesnor platform, I just don't see what the point of giving a ship weapons but no way to independantly find it's targets.  Relying on a sensor fighter just begs to ask what happens when they are killed.  I'm not even sure mechanics wise what happens.  It is just a dubious mass saving to me.

75 tons is over a third of the mass of my fighter!   Adding something that big would reduce the fighter's speed from 11,000 kps to 8,200 kps.  

As far as the mechanics, if the sensor fighter is killed, and there are no other sensor platforms in range, then the fighters either would not be able to launch, or they would lose their fire control lock on the target if they had already launched.  The Reich was planning on integrating their new scouts in with their carrier groups.  Their ability to launch sensor drones would provide sensor redundancy and help a fighter strike immensely.  

Kurt

Offline mavikfelna

• Lieutenant
    • http://www.geocities.com/mavikfelna
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2009, 10:44:23 AM »
Ok Kurt, enough talking, more writing! ;)

--Mav

Offline Haegan2005

• Commander
    • http://home.grandecom.net/~silkexpressions/WarStars.htm
« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2009, 01:34:42 PM »
Quote from: "mavikfelna"

--Mav

Agreed!

Offline Kurt (OP)

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2009, 08:27:31 PM »
Quote from: "Haegan2005"
Ok Kurt, enough talking, more writing! :D Okay, oaky, I get the message.

I'm currently in the middle of a fairly large battle.  It should be interesting!

Kurt

Offline ShadoCat

• Commander
    • http://www.assistsolar.com
« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2009, 12:15:22 PM »
Quote from: "Kurt"
Quote from: "Haegan2005"

--Mav

Agreed!

:D Okay, oaky, I get the message.

I'm currently in the middle of a fairly large battle.  It should be interesting!

Kurt

KEERAACK!!!

The beasts take offense and then take a bite out of your chariot. Lose one point of armor on the front of the chariot.

Offline Paul M

• Vice Admiral
  • P
« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2009, 07:19:24 AM »
I'm with Mav (as I recall a not unusual occurance on that other board we used to haunt) as far as the writing vrs talking.

But for the reduction in speed of the fighters the 75 tons is composed of 50 tons (1 HS) for search sensor and 25 tons (0.5 HS) for the fire control, as you have a 16 million km fire control my suspicion is that you aren't far from using 50 tons now anyway, so the increase is either 50 or 25 tons.  The other point is who cares how fast the fighter goes in the abstract?  You can launch your missiles outside of a range where the enemy can engage you even if they know you are there and no fighter armed with a gun is going to get to you before you can launch and run back to re-arm.  By being able to engage fighters anyway you can just wait till they are a 0.5 m km distant and salvo some missiles at them anyway.  Sure you abort the strike on the ships but you'll get them next time anyway.

Offline Brian Neumann

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2009, 10:00:19 AM »
I'm with Mav (as I recall a not unusual occurance on that other board we used to haunt) as far as the writing vrs talking.

But for the reduction in speed of the fighters the 75 tons is composed of 50 tons (1 HS) for search sensor and 25 tons (0.5 HS) for the fire control, as you have a 16 million km fire control my suspicion is that you aren't far from using 50 tons now anyway, so the increase is either 50 or 25 tons.  The other point is who cares how fast the fighter goes in the abstract?  You can launch your missiles outside of a range where the enemy can engage you even if they know you are there and no fighter armed with a gun is going to get to you before you can launch and run back to re-arm.  By being able to engage fighters anyway you can just wait till they are a 0.5 m km distant and salvo some missiles at them anyway.  Sure you abort the strike on the ships but you'll get them next time anyway.

The problem with this is that the number of reloads is limited as missiles are big compared to their magazine's and in addition missiles that are good against ships are probably not very accurate against fighters.  After all most fighters are moving around three times as fast as their parent ships usually move.  If you only have a 40-50% hit rate against those fighters you are throwing a lot of missiles away.

Brian

Offline Paul M

• Vice Admiral
  • P
« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2009, 10:14:01 AM »
The missiles his fighters carry are AMMs with a 32K km/s velocity, if memory serves, I suspect they will hit very well.  I'm not sure what the HTK of the targetted fighters would be, likely 2 or 3 missiles to kill or mission kill the fighter.  If they used bigger missiles, I would have designed them with high speed anyway (sort of torpedo like) so their chance to hit the fighters would be still good and each one hitting would likely terminate the fighter, but you would fire fewer.  At a guess it would balance out.

A possible design glitch is that the carrier has, if memory serves, 500 or so missiles in its magazines that is only (20 fighter x10 missiles/box launcher = 200 full strike) 2 complete reloads on the carrier.  That is a bit small I'd think.

I'm still inclined to mark some of this down to personal preference mind you.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2009, 03:50:52 PM »
Quote from: "ShadoCat"
KEERAACK!!!

The beasts take offense and then take a bite out of your chariot. Lose one point of armor on the front of the chariot.
KERRAKKKK!!!

Your beasts take the hint and put their minds to the task. 1 Space, 1 Pt to Beasts

That is a great game :)

Steve

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #39 on: May 27, 2009, 03:52:19 PM »
Its OK, you can talk about Starfire on here but they get extremely upset if you talk about Aurora on the Starfire list :)

Steve

Offline Paul M

• Vice Admiral
  • P
« Reply #40 on: May 28, 2009, 03:39:25 AM »
I didn't think it would be an issue with a starfire fiction section on the board...my comment was more a personal in-joke relating to my time running an order on a NWN PW and events related to that.  I can't say I am surprised that Aurora discussions are actively discouraged though on that other board.

Offline Cassaralla

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
« Reply #41 on: May 28, 2009, 09:35:28 AM »
Quote from: "Steve Walmsley"
KEERAACK!!!

KERRAKKKK!!!

Your beasts take the hint and put their minds to the task. 1 Space, 1 Pt to Beasts

Steve

*Plays Maximus Turnius card.*

(Hope I have the right game here.  :)  )

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #42 on: May 28, 2009, 12:46:18 PM »
I didn't think it would be an issue with a starfire fiction section on the board...my comment was more a personal in-joke relating to my time running an order on a NWN PW and events related to that.  I can't say I am surprised that Aurora discussions are actively discouraged though on that other board.

I think if there were a discussion relating to NWN, it'd have to be in the... hmmm... Maybe I should make a general "Other Games" forum.

Offline ShadoCat

• Commander
« Reply #43 on: May 28, 2009, 06:44:05 PM »
Quote from: "Cassaralla"
KEERAACK!!!

KERRAKKKK!!!

Steve

*Plays Maximus Turnius card.*

(Hope I have the right game here.  :)  )

Slide out three lanes....

Yep.  Nothing is more beautiful than a FRENZY going into a turn...

...and nothing is more aggravating than the lucky bonehead I play with who survived it.

Offline ShadoCat

• Commander
« Reply #44 on: May 28, 2009, 06:56:27 PM »
KEERAACK!!!

KERRAKKKK!!!

Steve

Yep.  There's nothing like starting a chain reaction collision.  <grin>