Author Topic: Error 94  (Read 3938 times)

Offline umiman (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • u
Error 94
« on: January 31, 2010, 04:29:51 PM »
Hello,

Ever since I started playing this game, I've been getting this Error 94 every time the game tries to assign an officer to one of the ground forces. The full error text is:

Error in GetCommanderName
Error 94 was generated by Aurora
Invalid use of Null

I'm running Aurora 4.9.1, there are only 4 ranks for the ground forces and all of them have non-duplicate names. Each of the ranks has at least one officer.

Once every year or so, the game will try to refresh and reinstate all the current ground forces officers. This then spams me with error messages, and with about 100 ground officers, I have to click the error box 100 times.

Any idea what's going on?

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
Re: Error 94
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010, 07:52:43 AM »
Well, the 100 errors once a year thing is caused by the 'Automated Assignments' checkbox on the F4 'Officers' screen - Aurora is considering each of your officers one at a time, and assigning them to the slot they are best suited for.  If you uncheck the box then you'll only have to deal with the errors when you manually assign an officer.

As to the error itself, a similar thing used to pop up all the time when an officer's name contained an apostrophe (').  As a result those names were removed from the database.  Even so, take a minute to look through your list for one.

Offline umiman (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • u
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2010, 04:34:50 PM »
Yeesh, no apostrophes?

That's a hella lot of names.

Thanks!

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2010, 07:49:36 PM »
Quote from: "umiman"
Yeesh, no apostrophes?

That's a hella lot of names.

Thanks!

That is an artifact of Access and Visual Basic. A workaround is to replace them with the reverse single quote (above the TAB key on American keyboards). It might look a bit funny, but it won't break the program.

` = reverse
'  = forward

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2010, 08:05:25 AM »
Check if any of the rank names (for all leader types) are blank. If so, rename them.

Steve

Offline Vanigo

• Lt. Commander
  • V
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2010, 05:31:16 PM »
I've been getting periodic error 94s. My commanders don't have any apostrophes in their names, but I'm wondering if an NPR commander does.
Why is that a problem, anyway? Isn't that what escape sequences are for?

Offline Trueknight

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • T
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2010, 03:48:19 AM »
I'm getting this error, too. No apostrophes that i can see, and all the ranks have a name. The error isn't regular...just pop up  randomly...sometimes when a new officer it's created, sometimes when a new C.O. it's assigned, sometimes when nothing at all happens (to me).