Author Topic: Aliens Fighting in Sol  (Read 3167 times)

Offline Laurence (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • L
Aliens Fighting in Sol
« on: October 27, 2009, 04:51:27 PM »
So I've got a small rather low tech start going.  There is a jump gate in the Sol system.  Turns out it leads to Banard's Star, where there is an NPR (and a jump gate back to Sol).  They seem friendly, and I'm not going to mess with them being so low-tech still (I still haven't finished Jump Point Theory).  They send some geo scouts into Sol, but nothing I want to do about it since I've seen ships twice the size of mine in their fleet.

Several months later, another set of ships appears through another WP (I still haven't surveyed Sol's jump points yet) and three of them head for Earth.  I get my PDC and tiny fleet fired up and wait for them.

They never reach Earth because a task force from the first Banard Star aliens takes them out.  

Several months later there is another battle between them in the Sol system, with the Banard Star guys again taking them out and me just watching from Earth orbit.  

Pretty funny stuff, though I imagine the pop of Earth would be freaking out the whole time with this (too bad I wasn't writing this up).  Looking in the database I see that there are four NPRs out there currently (I only specified 1 in the startup), 35 star systems besides Sol (I have only been to Banard's Star) and I am getting all sorts of slow time chunks due to fighting going on.  :)

Offline Beersatron

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
Re: Aliens Fighting in Sol
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2009, 05:09:19 PM »
Sweet!

It is at this point that I would love to be able to view the NPRs using the SM mode  :(

What is your rating with the good NPR? Have you managed to open communications?

Offline Laurence (OP)

• L
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2009, 05:17:09 PM »
I got communication really quickly, and now I'm up to ~1000 on the DR with them now, they must be similar to me because we both have each other set to Friendly, Trade and Geo data.  The legacy jump gate is nice because our civilians are sending stuff back and forth constantly.   The rating just keeps going up, we must have similar species numbers.

As far as advancing into space and such I'm really doing rather badly (got a Neutronium shortage thats killing me) but this has been so entertaining I'm keeping this game going for now.

Offline Beersatron

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2009, 05:20:38 PM »
Do what most of us seem to do and enter SM mode then increase your Earth mineral deposits by a factor of 10, or even more. It works well and isn't a cheat since we all think that Steve is 'bah humbug' with the minerals on Earth creation  :lol:

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2009, 10:10:15 AM »
The problem is that Homeworld Minerals don't change whether you're doing a high-tech start or pre-TN.  Thus the amount of minerals 'tied-up' in the industry/facilities/ships of a high-tech start are basically free.  Even with the cheap cost of converting Conventional Industry to other facilities, a high tech start with a pop over a billion or so generally has more stuff than a pre-TN civilization can build with homeworld minerals.

Offline Laurence (OP)

• L
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2009, 12:10:09 PM »
I think I may just bump the minerals up.  I want to get out there and see what is going on with these guys. :)

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2009, 01:38:50 PM »
Quote from: "Beersatron"
Do what most of us seem to do and enter SM mode then increase your Earth mineral deposits by a factor of 10, or even more. It works well and isn't a cheat since we all think that Steve is 'bah humbug' with the minerals on Earth creation  :)

Steve

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2009, 02:20:02 PM »
Quote from: "Laurence"
So I've got a small rather low tech start going.  There is a jump gate in the Sol system.  Turns out it leads to Banard's Star, where there is an NPR (and a jump gate back to Sol).  They seem friendly, and I'm not going to mess with them being so low-tech still (I still haven't finished Jump Point Theory).  They send some geo scouts into Sol, but nothing I want to do about it since I've seen ships twice the size of mine in their fleet.

Several months later, another set of ships appears through another WP (I still haven't surveyed Sol's jump points yet) and three of them head for Earth.  I get my PDC and tiny fleet fired up and wait for them.

They never reach Earth because a task force from the first Banard Star aliens takes them out.  

Several months later there is another battle between them in the Sol system, with the Banard Star guys again taking them out and me just watching from Earth orbit.  

Pretty funny stuff, though I imagine the pop of Earth would be freaking out the whole time with this (too bad I wasn't writing this up).  
Yes, that would have been a great read. Sounds like a very fun game!

Looking in the database I see that there are four NPRs out there currently (I only specified 1 in the startup), 35 star systems besides Sol (I have only been to Banard's Star) and I am getting all sorts of slow time chunks due to fighting going on.  :)

Steve

Offline Thorgarth

• Chief Petty Officer
  • T
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2009, 09:07:58 PM »
Steve,

I like the automated turns.  Last night, had a 2 1/2 hours of auto turns as two NPRs fought a battle.  Allowed my to watch the SyFy channel while Aurora worked through the battle.  One question.  I did hit the Stop button, but never was able to interrupt the auto turns.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2009, 09:23:04 PM »
Quote from: "Thorgarth"
Steve,

I like the automated turns.  Last night, had a 2 1/2 hours of auto turns as two NPRs fought a battle.  Allowed my to watch the SyFy channel while Aurora worked through the battle.  One question.  I did hit the Stop button, but never was able to interrupt the auto turns.
Because the game is running during automated turns it cannot immediately process other events such as mouse clicks. I added a 'catch-up' between increments where the program will try to process any windows events that happened during the previous increment before moving on to the next increment. This allows you to move between windows, etc. while the game is running or press the Stop button. I have found that the normal quick click of a mouse won't work for some reason, which I think is Windows related, but it does seem to work if you press the mouse button down, hold it for a couple of seconds, and then release it.

Steve

Offline waresky

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
  • Alpine Mountaineer..ohh Yeah!
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2009, 04:43:33 AM »

Pretty funny stuff, though I imagine the pop of Earth would be freaking out the whole time with this (too bad I wasn't writing this up).  Looking in the database I see that there are four NPRs out there currently (I only specified 1 in the startup), 35 star systems besides Sol (I have only been to Banard's Star) and I am getting all sorts of slow time chunks due to fighting going on.  :)
DAMN loooooooooool::DDDD

Eheheh..same as a older awesome Sci-Fi Book from a best writer..Humans r ever a puny race into Space.
Fear..same as real on OUR universe Real:)

Offline waresky

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
  • Alpine Mountaineer..ohh Yeah!
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2009, 04:49:12 AM »
ive build up a strong Federation in 4 +70millions Colony planets..plus Homeworld,12 mining Colony along 38 know System..AND never see atm 1 lonely Aliens..am fear when am struck into them..am found a Huge Alien imperium:D..

But for now eaarth tech and resources are very high.
Am proud to tell am never use (in this campaign) SM mode.
All r made by my prouds colonist.

Hope continiung so again and again.
Hate SM modifications.

i love this "smeg" game:)))))

(i love this smeg!>>> WareskyITA4USA my tag on Operations Flashpoint am Gunner onboard M1A2 tank platoon online campaign:)) (good sniper and good gunner,not driver:)))

Offline Laurence (OP)

• L
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2009, 09:37:12 AM »
Had some time to play again so I've got a game update.

I am now officially allied with the Banard Star guys.  

I did bump the Neutromium some to speed up getting out there.  I've finally gotten some grave survey ships built and currently have 26/30 points surveyed in Sol.  One of them leads to the hostile alien system (there is a habitable planet in there).  Just peeked and jumped out again. I'm calling them Guam because of their flag.

The Guam aliens  came in again twice, but just three small ships (6700 tons each) each time and I was able to easily destroy them using my PDC and small fleet.  They appeared to be energy armed, no missiles, and my only loss was one of the 12 laser gunboats I sent after the first group.  The second Guam group I just used missiles on and had no losses.

With my warp point survey not quite complete, another set of aliens appeared in Sol through a WP I haven't found yet.  I'm calling them the Gorillas for now (cuz that's their picture).  These guys had 9 warships (or armed survey ships).  

They headed straight for Earth.  I destroyed them all but at least three of them were missile shooters (I'm thankful my crude anti-ship missiles out ranged their faster ones).  4 missiles got through my anti-missile fire (mostly my one PDC (called Cheyenne Mountain), but also 2 destroyers in orbit) and hit the PDC with four 5 pt warheads.  Armor took it all (though Colorado Springs is likely gone).  Another missile hit a passenger liner that was in Earth orbit.

When those five got through I upped my point defense shooting from 2v1 to 3v1.  Burned through my ammo faster in a scary fashion.  When the last Gorilla missile was shot down my two defense DDs were long out of ammo, and my PDC was down to just 5 defense missiles.  Yikes!

I now have a four light cruisers with anti-ship missiles, and I would like to go out to meet the aliens in the future, but the problem is that the warp points that both Guam and Gorillas came through are so close to Sol that Earth is in almost range of the enemy as soon as he jumps in for about half of the year.

Another issue is that the Banard Star aliens haven't been very active recently.  They appear to be out of Duranium.  Their system has zero now according to the Geo Status tool and they haven't set up any mining colonies in Sol (I am swimming in Duranium).

Is there a way I can send them some?  I have tried looking but I don't see one.  If not I may just starting running freighters over to them and edit the database to move the numbers.

Offline James Patten

• Lt. Commander
  • J
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2009, 11:03:34 AM »
Sounds like you live in a tough neighborhood.

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2009, 11:21:43 AM »
Had some time to play again so I've got a game update.

I am now officially allied with the Banard Star guys.  

Is there a way I can send them some?  I have tried looking but I don't see one.  If not I may just starting running freighters over to them and edit the database to move the numbers.

Set up an outpost on their world and you shoud be able to access the 'Planetary Market' (Ctrl F8) window from the main menu.  Then ship lots of Duranium to the planet and sell it for cash, trade it for other minerals, or even technology - whatever offer the aliens will accept.