Author Topic: Do these exist, if so can you eventually build them and or..  (Read 2674 times)

Offline mrwigggles (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
So this games pretty bad ass, with a sense of realism and enough fantasy to make pangalactic conflict feasible.

Steve on the b12'er forum said this game was to be played over an epic length of time, which made me think of Foundation series time length or Star Wars universe length, several dozens of millenniums.

If so can you build or can these things progress or develop? (In no real order.)

Dyson Sphere, and its variants.

Niven Ring

Alderson Disk

Halo Ring

Arcologies

City Planets

Super Specialized Planets A La, Invader Zim (Though used comically, a convention hall planet, or mail processing planet, or fast food planet), Stainless Steel Rat series by Harry Harrison, such as silca and acidic planets with other heavy elements being turn into electronic developing worlds. Halo Harvest was a planet that used to grow lots of food, and Star Trek Risa (sp), was mostly a tourist trap.

Space Elevators (I know that the game uses mass drivers, but arguably several groups of space elevators could out perform mass drives in tonnage delivered in a similar time scale.)

Stellar Convertors (For Initiating fusion in gas giants and destabilizing stars,  creating planets from astroid fields, and destroying them.)

Planet Cracking Weaponary, a la death star or planet buster nukes from Warhammer 40k, or the thing where the orcs hollow out a small moon or a large astroid and use it as a troop transport.

Can you play in the same universe as a different race? For instance, could you retire your race, and let it be taken over as an npr, and play nother fledging race in the same universe?

Offline waresky

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
  • Alpine Mountaineer..ohh Yeah!
Re: Do these exist, if so can you eventually build them and or..
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2010, 09:54:50 AM »
Errr..one only trouble exist..: continuing restart game.because the upgrade cant work on same saved games.
This are a REAL limit in this awesome game.
From 2 years ago and atm,am NEVER pass the 2150 or 2180 in years date:)..
Am hope to "SHOW" one day or another an damned builded ENPIRE..span to hundreds colonies..but am fear rest an merely hoping.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2010, 10:04:55 AM »
Quote from: "mrwigggles"
So this games pretty bad ass, with a sense of realism and enough fantasy to make pangalactic conflict feasible.

Steve on the b12'er forum said this game was to be played over an epic length of time, which made me think of Foundation series time length or Star Wars universe length, several dozens of millenniums.

If so can you build or can these things progress or develop? (In no real order.)

Dyson Sphere, and its variants.

Niven Ring

Alderson Disk

Halo Ring

Arcologies

City Planets

Super Specialized Planets A La, Invader Zim (Though used comically, a convention hall planet, or mail processing planet, or fast food planet), Stainless Steel Rat series by Harry Harrison, such as silca and acidic planets with other heavy elements being turn into electronic developing worlds. Halo Harvest was a planet that used to grow lots of food, and Star Trek Risa (sp), was mostly a tourist trap.

Space Elevators (I know that the game uses mass drivers, but arguably several groups of space elevators could out perform mass drives in tonnage delivered in a similar time scale.)

Stellar Convertors (For Initiating fusion in gas giants and destabilizing stars,  creating planets from astroid fields, and destroying them.)

Planet Cracking Weaponary, a la death star or planet buster nukes from Warhammer 40k, or the thing where the orcs hollow out a small moon or a large astroid and use it as a troop transport.

Can you play in the same universe as a different race? For instance, could you retire your race, and let it be taken over as an npr, and play nother fledging race in the same universe?
None of those are in the game at the moment, mainly because the new versions come out fairly regularly and no one has run out of technology yet :). As I run out of new tech to add at lower tech levels I will start to add some  of the above, or perhaps have them setup as existing alien constructs.

Steve

Offline mrwigggles (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2010, 03:16:32 PM »
Most of these would make for excellent alien ruins. When I played MOO3, I expected Orions to have their home system encased in a dyson sphere, since they didn't want anyone going in their home system. Escape Velocity: Nova uses some of these as just oddities in the universe, with the polaris living in a Niven Ring they found, and using a variant of the planetary ring they also found, and made it into their homeworld. Earth has a planetary ring, constructed by the earthlings.

Space Elevators from my understanding is a near future feasible, with the Japanese Government funding a research organization into the engineering  difficulties. I think its a bit premature since we currently don't have materiel needed for the stress, though the materiel would probably nano carbon composites nother nearish future materiel.

Do you use the Kardashev Scale for Aurora as maybe a civilization comparative tool?

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2010, 10:26:14 AM »
Quote from: "mrwigggles"
Most of these would make for excellent alien ruins. When I played MOO3, I expected Orions to have their home system encased in a dyson sphere, since they didn't want anyone going in their home system. Escape Velocity: Nova uses some of these as just oddities in the universe, with the polaris living in a Niven Ring they found, and using a variant of the planetary ring they also found, and made it into their homeworld. Earth has a planetary ring, constructed by the earthlings.

Space Elevators from my understanding is a near future feasible, with the Japanese Government funding a research organization into the engineering  difficulties. I think its a bit premature since we currently don't have materiel needed for the stress, though the materiel would probably nano carbon composites nother nearish future materiel.

Do you use the Kardashev Scale for Aurora as maybe a civilization comparative tool?
I haven't heard that mentioned in a long time. I think the last time I read about it in a book was the excellent "The Road to the Stars" by Iain Nicholson (1978), which is still a good read even though it is 30 years out of date. Aurora doesn't really correspond to the Kardashev Scale as the Empires involved probably start as Type I and never really reach Type II. Perhaps with some high-end tech that might be possible but in any event the scale is measured by energy consumption and Aurora doesn't really measure that.

Steve

Offline x2yzh9

• Chief Petty Officer
  • x
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2010, 01:30:17 AM »
So.

For the whole huge alien artifact things-

How about a random chance of them spawning when you enter a system, or their spawned at the beginning of the game. They start as non-functoning and you have to have 5 engineer regiments there for 1 decade to get it working, but heres some ideas for the benefits-
Dyson Sphere-Once activated a set of 'Dyson installations' appear around the star, like a asteroid belt. These can be installed with lasers and have no limit, except for when one of the installations is destroyed-This would be a powerfull defence.
Halo ring-Destroy all enemy civilizations that are known at the current time.
City planets-The planet would pop up, and would become completely habitable, acting as a real planet without having to terraform it.

Offline waresky

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
  • Alpine Mountaineer..ohh Yeah!
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2010, 04:35:08 AM »
Srry guys for breack the Dreams:).

But Steve and Aurora need some sort of "really" others things..

Adjust Army management,same as Task Group windows.More develop in performance than awesome and strange Artifacts ruins..At moment:D.

Am belover Asimov,Heinlein,pournelle,Carson and Anderson..from Ages,1974 (am '64's sci-fi addict dreamer).

Alan Horn,Domic Flandry and other Earths Empires heroes..but am fear we concentrate up some real needed Auror's adjust.

my 2 cents

And at last: this program r mine personel dream from 1979 when am play Traveller and need some of PC aid ...30's years ago:D

Offline mrwigggles (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2010, 02:09:56 PM »
Quote from: "waresky"
Srry guys for breack the Dreams:).

But Steve and Aurora need some sort of "really" others things..

Adjust Army management,same as Task Group windows.More develop in performance than awesome and strange Artifacts ruins..At moment:D.

Am belover Asimov,Heinlein,pournelle,Carson and Anderson..from Ages,1974 (am '64's sci-fi addict dreamer).

Alan Horn,Domic Flandry and other Earths Empires heroes..but am fear we concentrate up some real needed Auror's adjust.

my 2 cents

And at last: this program r mine personel dream from 1979 when am play Traveller and need some of PC aid ...30's years ago:D

oO

This wasn't a suggestion, but an inquiry if they existed.