Author Topic: Civilian Industry and expanded economic model!  (Read 6630 times)

Offline alex_brunius

• Vice Admiral
Re: Civilian Industry and expanded economic model!
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2015, 10:38:08 AM »
Yeah, in an ideal world all things are possible.   But still the powercell isn't going to be made for free.  The sorium has a cost.  The device has a cost.  The reseller must make a profit.  There must be certifications and inspections (on a yearly or more often basis).  Then you have to dispose of the old one.  You need back up power in the advent the thing fails.  Also how big is this thing?  Can you go down to wallmart and get it or does it have to be delievered by truck?  All of this costs money, even if the power is relatively cheap on a per kWh basis.  

Basically entropy always increases, there is no free lunch and perpetual motion machines aren't possible.

I don't see any of those things that can't be made cheaper or more efficient by technology or other products/materials with "magic-like" properties though.

The raw materials in use will be refined and transported cheaper and more effectively.
The device will be able to be built cheaper by more efficient factories.
The faster car/hover-car/plane/truck/trains making the delivery chain will get it further for less meaning less logistics and distribution costs in the lifecyckle per unit.
The size of it will very likely be smaller with more advanced technology (same as above less costs for logistics & handling), very clear real-world example is the minimum cost of a flat-screen compared to a older thicker screen TV/PC-monitor.
If it's to big for fetching with car you likely buy an installation for your house and refill it with fuel, if it's to big for truck you likely buy electricity per kWh from bigger installations like today, whatever is most efficient (whatever is most efficient = cheapest).

Offline 83athom

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2015, 12:53:12 PM »
whatever is most efficient (whatever is most efficient = cheapest).
Just a quick thing. Efficiency doesn't always equal cheapness. Sometimes efficiency actually increases costs. But yah, as he said new technology usually shrinks its predecessor while being more available (thus reducing cost while increasing use). Also wouldn't the already a thing called Infrastructure already be a part of the power production (and farming, water, sewage, ect ect) so more things to take these places already be moot (since you need an amount of infrastructure to keep a pop alive it already takes into account for food/power/water).  That is all I have to say. I honestly don't want to participate in this discussion anymore as I already made my stance (that being its already fine the way it is, maybe a few minor changes).
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Offline Theodidactus

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2015, 09:53:37 PM »

While were on the subject, does anyone ever wish there were more trade goods? I kinda wish there were, and more variety.
My Theodidactus, now I see that you are excessively simple of mind and more gullible than most. The Crystal Sphere you seek cannot be found in nature, look about you...wander the whole cosmos, and you will find nothing but the clear sweet breezes of the great ethereal ocean enclosed not by any bound

Offline Jorgen_CAB (OP)

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • J
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2015, 02:08:58 AM »

While were on the subject, does anyone ever wish there were more trade goods? I kinda wish there were, and more variety.

Oddly enough I always thought that the trade system is too detailed, considering that civilian economy are so simplified. I think that it would have been enough with civilian trade goods as a single commodity which planets may trade with each other. The more civilian trade a planet generate and the more destinations and further away the more they would benefit from it. Trade are usually about being able to purchase stuff you can't otherwise get, rarity is often the key. Civilian trade goods could be anything from services to actual things...

The more a planet would consume its own trade goods the less wealth it would generate and eventually stagnate its economy versus more active planets.

I don't mind how the current system work, but it is somewhat artificial and not particular realistic.

Offline alex_brunius

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2015, 09:29:16 AM »
Oddly enough I always thought that the trade system is too detailed, considering that civilian economy are so simplified. I think that it would have been enough with civilian trade goods as a single commodity which planets may trade with each other. The more civilian trade a planet generate and the more destinations and further away the more they would benefit from it. Trade are usually about being able to purchase stuff you can't otherwise get, rarity is often the key. Civilian trade goods could be anything from services to actual things...

The more a planet would consume its own trade goods the less wealth it would generate and eventually stagnate its economy versus more active planets.

I don't mind how the current system work, but it is somewhat artificial and not particular realistic.

Agreed. Unless there is more actual game mechanics impacts on the trade goods type, I don't think we need more of them, rather less.

Id much rather have 5 trade goods that are better integrated/involved into the game like for example:
- Agricultural trade goods production depending on available space (pop/surface area) and climate of planet, may cause growth penalty if x% of demand not delivered?
- Different shipping lines specialize in different goods gaining bonuses
- Ability to subsidize/ban goods and have it impact flow of trade & traffic
- Dynamic Trade goods consumption depending on type of workers/population are present ( lots of economic center "workers" demand luxury trade goods )
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 09:31:13 AM by alex_brunius »