Author Topic: Option to suppress all warnings and errors.  (Read 3909 times)

Offline HavingPhun (OP)

• Leading Rate
Option to suppress all warnings and errors.
« on: August 31, 2015, 02:53:21 PM »
There should be an option for this, I don't really care much if the game is dividing by zero or some other issue.   I just want to play it.   I usually end up with some error that pops up every time step.   The game isn't crashing or anything, so I don't worry about the errors.   This would end some great annoyances. 

Offline xeryon

• Captain
Re: Option to suppress all warnings and errors.
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2015, 03:08:51 PM »
...I don't really care much if the game is dividing by zero ....

This.  This is quite good, actually.  :)

Offline Mastik

• Lieutenant
  • M
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2015, 04:32:24 PM »
This

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2015, 08:03:04 PM »
Ignore and log errors of course. It would be nice to also have an option that suppresses stopping for NPR stuff. Sure I want an interrupt if my cruiser detects an enemy, but why should the game give me 5 second ticks which are a warning that a hidden NPR has detected my cruiser?
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline HavingPhun (OP)

• Leading Rate
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2015, 11:14:39 PM »
Quote from: MarcAFK link=topic=7893. msg80608#msg80608 date=1441069384
Ignore and log errors of course.  It would be nice to also have an option that suppresses stopping for NPR stuff.  Sure I want an interrupt if my cruiser detects an enemy, but why should the game give me 5 second ticks which are a warning that a hidden NPR has detected my cruiser?

Yeah, I agree with that.  They should be logged at least some we can look back on them if the game starts crashing.

Offline papent

• Lieutenant
  • Off We Go Into The Wild Blue Yonder
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2015, 03:05:21 AM »
agreed as well. a simple logfile to check the error codes. and/or a tick box for error reporting.
In my humble opinion anything that could be considered a balance issue is a moot point unless the AI utilize it against you because otherwise it's an exploit you willing choose to use to game the system. 
Rule 0 Is effect : "The SM is always right/ What SM Says Goes."

Offline sneer

• Lt. Commander
  • s
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2015, 03:36:01 AM »
I fully aproved idea
small error in combat prevents from automatic turns and sometimes it leads to one bigger interval with dozens of missiles past PD miracolously

Offline xeryon

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2015, 07:32:47 AM »
Simple then: checkmark option to have all popup error windows dump data to a temp log file instead of error windows.  Game will keep running until it doesn't regardless of the errors.  Use at your own peril.

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2015, 07:40:48 AM »
Of course it's likely the popular error windows are a Visual Basic thing that might not be easy to suppress.
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline xeryon

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2015, 07:56:52 AM »
I know.  It would be nice though.  Sometimes the error windows indicate something that a player can resolve, like a travel order that will take so many years it exceeds the travel time field. i.e. a ship moving at 1kms that was told to travel 10 jumps away or something.  Otherwise, the errors are often something you can't do anything about but you don't want to give up on the game.  If it will keep going why not?  If it generates 10 error windows every increment and clicking ten times on the okay button is driving you nuts and you just want to see if your ships can take out the Queen...

Offline SteelChicken

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2015, 08:18:24 AM »
Yes.  This is usually why I abandon games.   My current game has been ALOT of fun, but I am swamped with 6-10 error popups each turn.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2015, 08:33:07 AM »
There are a couple of issues with this proposal.

1) There are some errors you can easily fix (and in fact have to fix or the game will continue to have short increments giving you the same error every time), or have known workarounds. There is no way for the game to know which errors you can easily fix and therefore only show those
2) Some errors, especially data access ones, result in an endless series of error 91s (Microsoft error codes). With no popups, the game will simply hang for no apparent reason.

Obviously the ideal is to have no popup errors. My current campaign has had only one so far, connected with the Check All Pops option, which is now fixed If you do have errors though, read the message and report them so I can fix them for the next version.

Offline SteelChicken

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2015, 08:41:05 AM »
There are a couple of issues with this proposal.

1) There are some errors you can easily fix (and in fact have to fix or the game will continue to have short increments giving you the same error every time), or have known workarounds. There is no way for the game to know which errors you can easily fix and therefore only show those
2) Some errors, especially data access ones, result in an endless series of error 91s (Microsoft error codes). With no popups, the game will simply hang for no apparent reason.

Obviously the ideal is to have no popup errors. My current campaign has had only one so far, connected with the Check All Pops option, which is now fixed If you do have errors though, read the message and report them so I can fix them for the next version.

Understood...Steve, have you made any changes to the way the NPR's design active sensors to avoid the maxsensorrange bug?

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2015, 08:45:26 AM »
Remind me of the max sensor range error :) Some type of overflow?

Offline SteelChicken

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2015, 09:06:21 AM »
Remind me of the max sensor range error :) Some type of overflow?

Yes, NPR ships with massive active sensors cause an error.   I don't have the detailed error message (I can get the detailed error later on tonight) but here is a comment from the 6.4 bug thread I made.   

"I found some NPR ships with the following sensors:
Active Search Sensor MR1737-R97
Active Search Sensor MR2481-R97

When I deleted them the errors stopped."

This particular error fires quite frequently...one pop up per ship per increment.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 09:08:21 AM by SteelChicken »