Author Topic: C# Aurora Changes Discussion  (Read 441817 times)

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
Re: C# Aurora Changes Discussion
« Reply #2670 on: March 28, 2020, 02:29:06 PM »
Quote from: Steve Walmsley
Detecting Engine Type

Thermal sensors are able to detect whether a ship moving faster than 1 km/s has military or commercial engines. This information is added to the intelligence for the associated alien class.

The thermal contact strength for a ship will be preceded by "M" or "C" if the engine type for the parent class is known.

NPRs will treat ships without detected military engines that have not demonstrated any weapon capability as 10% of the normal size when assessing their threat level

Excellent!  My early, non-military-engined ships will be underestimated at first, but once the shooting starts those bug-eyed aliens will learn to respect us!

The following users thanked this post: DIT_grue

Offline xenoscepter

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #2671 on: March 28, 2020, 06:51:25 PM »
Yes, but what does that do? The effect of the Tactical Officer's bonus was TBD last time I read through the Changes List...

Offline JustAnotherDude

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • J
« Reply #2672 on: March 28, 2020, 06:57:54 PM »
It affects your to-hit-chance I think

Offline xenoscepter

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #2673 on: March 28, 2020, 09:25:21 PM »
That sounds pretty good, thanks.

Offline hadi

• Aurora blind player
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • h
« Reply #2674 on: March 31, 2020, 05:42:13 PM »
I was reading the changelog and as a screen reader user i was very happy to see the new  text summary windows.
I can't wait for the release and we blind users have our  screen readers, optical character recognition and other crazy programs ready to give this game a try!
At this point, I was suspecting demonic intervention.
-Steve

Offline Frick

• Chief Petty Officer
  • F
« Reply #2675 on: April 01, 2020, 08:09:12 AM »
I was reading the changelog and as a screen reader user i was very happy to see the new  text summary windows.
I can't wait for the release and we blind users have our  screen readers, optical character recognition and other crazy programs ready to give this game a try!

Please provide feedback on this, would be very interested in this.

Offline AlStar

• Lieutenant
  • Flag Maker Flag Maker : For creating Flags for Aurora
    Race Maker Race Maker : Creating race images
« Reply #2676 on: April 01, 2020, 08:15:24 AM »
I wonder if the newest change means that Steve's latest campaign has been flooded with useless scientists.

It certainly doesn't seem like the kind of thing that arises naturally out of testing AI diplomacy.  ;D

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #2677 on: April 01, 2020, 08:27:21 AM »
I wonder if the newest change means that Steve's latest campaign has been flooded with useless scientists.

It certainly doesn't seem like the kind of thing that arises naturally out of testing AI diplomacy.  ;D

I'm six years into the campaign and I still don't have a Sensors and Control Systems scientist :)

Offline chrislocke2000

• Captain
  • c
« Reply #2678 on: April 01, 2020, 09:36:49 AM »

I'm six years into the campaign and I still don't have a Sensors and Control Systems scientist :)

I have to say I'm pretty happy with that, especially for non-TN starts where relevant scientists can have a big swing factor on the game play.

Offline Zincat

• Captain
  • Z
« Reply #2679 on: April 01, 2020, 10:04:07 AM »

I had a vb6 aurora campaign where 25 years in, and with 15 military academies, I had ZERO power and propulsion scientists.
And a bazillion of other scientists. No need to say I'm in favor of this

Offline Inglonias

• Lieutenant
  • I
« Reply #2680 on: April 01, 2020, 11:19:01 AM »
On one hand, I can see why the availability of scientists can add character to an empire, slowing down research in a few areas due to the luck of the draw.

On the other hand, I hate having thirty biologists and no power and production scientists a decade after I start my game.

Offline Kristover

• Gold Supporter
  • Lt. Commander
  • K
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #2681 on: April 01, 2020, 12:27:58 PM »
Probably a late breaking question but looking at the diplomacy posts in the change list, has Peace Treaties been discussed yet?  Diplomacy Post #1 talks about it being covered in the future but I didn't see any subsequent posts and was wondering with release coming soon, what was the mechanism for peace treaties in the event of war?

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #2682 on: April 01, 2020, 12:43:44 PM »
Probably a late breaking question but looking at the diplomacy posts in the change list, has Peace Treaties been discussed yet?  Diplomacy Post #1 talks about it being covered in the future but I didn't see any subsequent posts and was wondering with release coming soon, what was the mechanism for peace treaties in the event of war?

There is an effective peace treaty when lack of contact brings the relationship back toward neutral, but no ability to propose peace (yet).

Offline Desdinova

• Lt. Commander
  • D
« Reply #2683 on: April 01, 2020, 01:41:05 PM »
Will an NPR that loses a battle or two adopt a more defensive posture, allowing the relations to reset?

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #2684 on: April 02, 2020, 02:28:04 AM »
Will an NPR that loses a battle or two adopt a more defensive posture, allowing the relations to reset?

Yes, that will happen naturally as the NPR loses 'spare' fleets that can used offensively. However, I will code some war weariness or sensitivity to losses post-release.

The following users thanked this post: kks, BAGrimm, Protomolecule