Author Topic: Refitting fighters?  (Read 2713 times)

Offline Shadow (OP)

• Commander
  • Race Maker Race Maker : Creating race images
Refitting fighters?
« on: March 18, 2010, 11:57:39 AM »
Is it possible?

I know they're cheap and all, but crew and TF training is very valuable and not easily obtained. Without refits nor SM-fudging, all that experience is lost. You can build a new fighter in a day, but training (mainly TF) takes at least a couple of years.

Offline Charlie Beeler

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
Re: Refitting fighters?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 12:13:46 PM »
Not at this time.  It has been on the suggestions list for some time though.
Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics - paraphrase attributed to Gen Omar Bradley

Offline MoonDragon

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • M
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010, 12:32:57 PM »
Perhaps what should be added instead is the ability to move crew (experience) around different ships.
(@)

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2010, 07:29:05 PM »
Quote from: "MoonDragon"
Perhaps what should be added instead is the ability to move crew (experience) around different ships.

This currently exists, and shuffling two groups of crew together will result in a larger group of averagely-experienced crew.  Note that's experience, and not the TF training Shadow was talking about.

Offline Shadow (OP)

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2010, 08:25:33 PM »
I guess that, on the whole, TF training's an annoying burden.

I'm going to turn it off on my next game; I don't know how things would work out if I disabled it mid-game.

Offline MoonDragon

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • M
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2010, 09:09:23 AM »
Quote from: "Father Tim"

This currently exists, and shuffling two groups of crew together will result in a larger group of averagely-experienced crew.  Note that's experience, and not the TF training Shadow was talking about.

Wait, you're telling me that I can take the crew from one ship, and assign it to another ship? Please elaborate.
(@)

Offline Charlie Beeler

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2010, 09:20:31 AM »
Quote from: "Father Tim"

To my knowledge this is not possible within Aurora.  We only have the functionality to move commanders from ship-to-ship not crew.
Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics - paraphrase attributed to Gen Omar Bradley

Offline UnLimiTeD

• Vice Admiral
  • U
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2010, 12:45:25 PM »
Which is a pretty confining reason to still refit despite horrendous pricing.
Recently upgraded a ship with more weapons, new armor, generators, and engines, costing roughly 80% of a new ship, and that was a really small system defense cruiser.
The crew had 2000 gradepoints, thats a 34% bonus in missile reload and beam fire accuracy.
I'm not sacrificing that to save a half ship.

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2010, 07:29:38 PM »
Quote from: "UnLimiTeD"
Which is a pretty confining reason to still refit despite horrendous pricing.
Recently upgraded a ship with more weapons, new armor, generators, and engines, costing roughly 80% of a new ship, and that was a really small system defense cruiser.
The crew had 2000 gradepoints, thats a 34% bonus in missile reload and beam fire accuracy.
I'm not sacrificing that to save a half ship.
I'm not clear why you say this is horrendous pricing.  It sounds like you're replacing pretty much every expensive system in the ship.

I think there are two surcharges beyond the raw cost of the new components.  If you want details then you can probably find them by search for posts from Steve on this:

1)  An overall refit surcharge, which is something like 10% IIRC

2)  A size-increase charge, which might grow quadratically.  This is the one that causes the exhorbitant prices, I think.  Basically it says that trying to figure out how to refit a destroyer into an aircraft carrier is a lot more expensive than just building a new carrier.

John

Offline UnLimiTeD

• Vice Admiral
  • U
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2010, 07:54:31 PM »
True, but in that case, the size increased from 2.5k to 2.6k, so thats not that much in size.
Yeah, it was every possible thing to change, only the sensors weren't new.
Would have done it for 150% still.

Offline Shadow (OP)

• Commander
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2010, 07:57:24 PM »
You wouldn't normally refit a destroyer into a spacecraft carrier, but sometimes you need to do similar things in order to transfer valuable crew, just like in UnLimiTeD's case. But it's already been implied there's a need for a better crew transfer method. :P

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2010, 08:52:52 PM »
Quote from: "Shadow"
You wouldn't normally refit a destroyer into a spacecraft carrier, but sometimes you need to do similar things in order to transfer valuable crew, just like in UnLimiTeD's case. But it's already been implied there's a need for a better crew transfer method. :P

BTW, you are aware that you can set the quality of the crew that you're training, aren't you?  It's done from the Race screen (ctrl-F2).  Be careful - if you make it higher you'll lose 1/2 of your current crew.  The training rate is inversely proportional to the level, so at lvl 5 (which is what I always use) you train crew 1/5 as fast as at lvl 1.  lvl 5 will give you a ship that starts with 12% bonus, although you need to build a lot of academies to meet manpower demand if you build a lot of ships.

John

Offline Shadow (OP)

• Commander
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2010, 09:23:40 PM »
Didn't know that. Very interesting.*

But I was talking about transferring really experienced crew, like UnLimiTeD's. 34% is not a figure you can easily reach, and besides any green crew takes about two years to reach 100% TF training. If you have good officers, that is.

EDIT: *That's got to be the most hidden screen in the game! There's no graphical icon anywhere that I know of, and Ctrl+F2 only works if the game window has focus, but not when the System Map does. By the way, does the training setting affect the quality of the officers/scientists/administrators you receive?

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2010, 09:51:37 PM »
Quote from: "Shadow"
EDIT: *That's got to be the most hidden screen in the game! There's no graphical icon anywhere that I know of, and Ctrl+F2 only works if the game window has focus, but not when the System Map does. By the way, does the training setting affect the quality of the officers/scientists/administrators you receive?

It's supposed to be reached from the main menu bar (in the Empires group).

No, the training setting does not affect officers.

John

Offline UnLimiTeD

• Vice Admiral
  • U
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2010, 07:00:48 AM »
I actually had it only at 2, but seeing how I had around 1.2 billion people total fueling nearly 60 research labs, I couldn't afford any ship, so I could bump it up quite a bit without drawbacks. I rely on my again outdated spaceforce, and I'll soon have to refit those cruisers for around 300% their cost and 5x the time effort into the new destroyer design ;)
It seems 2000 grade points is the highest you can reach without combat.