Author Topic: What's going on in your empire/planet/battlefield?  (Read 267295 times)

Offline Haji

• Captain
Re: What's going on in your empire/planet/battlefield?
« Reply #1650 on: April 04, 2017, 08:34:00 PM »
I need to launch a jump point assault. I play both sides so I'll have some four hundred and fifty warships to manage. Not counting eight hundred fighters. I hate combat in Aurora.

Worst part? The campaign is far from over and I'm hoping for much larger empires (and fleets) to duke it out in the future. Kill me now.

The following users thanked this post: Michael Sandy, smoelf, dukea42

Offline Detros

• Commander
« Reply #1651 on: April 05, 2017, 02:30:26 PM »
Another late realization: during an attack on enemy system, while my combined beam forces were crawling through the third hundred of long range ASM fire, it occurred to me I may..just may have completely forgot to activate shields. Hopefully there were no leakers so far. *nervous giggle* @_@
Though the shields may not be ready for such !!fun!! times.
Off-Topic: show

Offline Haji

• Captain
« Reply #1652 on: April 05, 2017, 07:48:05 PM »
For the five people who happen to read my campaign, while the below image is quite funny it is also something of a spoiler. You check it at your own risk.

Turns out Aurora missiles are very smart, if given the least bit of excuse they will just go on a joyride into deep space rather than kill themselves.

Off-Topic: show

I mean seriously, that's over six thousand shipkillers that went "screw those meatbags, I'm outta here!" and went on a joyride towards... the star? Well I guess they were cold or something.

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #1653 on: April 05, 2017, 08:43:55 PM »
Derp. Your shipkillers can travel twice as far in 5 seconds as the range of their sensors.
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline Haji

• Captain
« Reply #1654 on: April 05, 2017, 08:47:25 PM »
Yes, but that's not what happened here. There is apparently a very specific bug (at least there was in 6.43) where if the target is destroyed at the same increment the missiles are fired, the missiles will run off in random direction. Those didn't overshoot - those literally went directly away from the enemy at launch.

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #1655 on: April 05, 2017, 08:53:18 PM »
Wow. Spoiler if you have to, but just how many missiles did you use overall in that battle?
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "

Offline Haji

• Captain
« Reply #1656 on: April 05, 2017, 09:03:51 PM »
The defending side used 17 020 shipkillers and either used or lost 55 790 anti-missiles. The attacking side had far too many formations and ship types for easy count but I'd say they used some thirty thousand missiles and I can't even be bothered to estimate how many anti-missiles they lost on the destroyed ships, but I'd say another 30k-60k.

Offline Michael Sandy

• Commodore
  • M
« Reply #1657 on: April 05, 2017, 11:19:26 PM »
So basically more resources than most starting planets were shot up in just the missiles?  Wow.

The environmentalist in me is kind of horrified, actually.  These are completely non-renewable resources, and we Aurora players strip mine whole star systems in mere years what it takes stellar processes billions of years to generate.

I do wonder, at the point where economic expansion is primarily limited by population and population growth, how fast can the economy double with the primary growth being from automated mines and construction brigades.  Assuming 20% bonuses from planetary governor and sector governors.

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #1658 on: April 06, 2017, 12:21:23 AM »
I always assumed that by the late game growth would be limited by the rate you can find and exploit more sorium.

Offline Akhillis

• Chief Petty Officer
  • A
« Reply #1659 on: April 07, 2017, 11:29:32 PM »
Finally found some life out there.

Battlegroup Sword set forth to do battle with the mysterious organic space faring creatures from the YZ Ceti system. Despite some logistical issues the results were heavily in humanity's favour; Sword destroyed 2 Queens and ~60 Soldiers for the loss of a single destroyer. The Battlegroup then proceeded further into the system, looking for any stragglers.

Thermal and EM sensors were the first to pick up the new contact. Unfortunately this data was misinterpreted and it was only when the contact came into active sensor range that its true size was realized: a 200,000 ton Matriarch. Given that the hostile vessel was comfortably bigger than my entire military, it was decided that discretion is the better part of valor and Sword should return home.

First time I've spotted one of those.

« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 02:53:22 AM by Akhillis »
The Sorium must flow

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #1660 on: April 08, 2017, 01:12:52 AM »
TBH you might need to spoiler that whole post.

Offline Zincat

• Captain
  • Z
« Reply #1661 on: April 08, 2017, 02:39:09 AM »
Spoilery stuff

Careful, she might decide to follow you home. Ready your defenses.

Offline Akhillis

• Chief Petty Officer
  • A
« Reply #1662 on: April 08, 2017, 03:15:30 AM »
TBH you might need to spoiler that whole post.

Better safe than sorry, I've spoilered it.

Spoilery stuff

Safe to say its giving the shipyards a workout. Plus I'm designing a dedicated "hard target" missile.
The Sorium must flow

Offline Michael Sandy

• Commodore
  • M
« Reply #1663 on: April 09, 2017, 06:15:02 AM »
So I managed to survey everything in the Sol system with Nuclear Thermal tech (except for two distant comets), I sent survey teams to every rock that had any minerals at all...

And those survey teams discovered nothing.  Well, 1 discovery of a .1 deposit on Venus.  Nothing else, in the entire system was found by my Geo Teams.

Fortunately, there is enough ore in the system to keep me busy.

And fortunately I noticed that the last two comets were actually out of my surveyor range, so my surveyors didn't gallivant over to them and have no way to get back.

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #1664 on: April 09, 2017, 06:45:38 PM »
Reminds me of one of my quickly-abandoned conventional starts where Sol system had barely any minerals at all and Earth herself had tiny amounts. Some times the RNG gods really hate you.