Author Topic: What's going on in your empire/planet/battlefield?  (Read 267279 times)

Offline Sematary

• Commodore
Re: What's going on in your empire/planet/battlefield?
« Reply #1125 on: December 06, 2015, 08:30:10 PM »
Had a very similar 7.0 game, Mastik.  Only minerals on Earth and Venus, and had Spoilers right next door.  No chance really.  Doesn't help that on a personal level I prefer beams to missiles, despite the game trying to railroad me otherwise.
I don't know if I would call it a railroad, so much as a side effect of realism. Realistically due to the distances involved it gets really hard to hit anything due to how angles work, an angle that is a fraction of a degree off means the beam goes very wide pretty quickly when talking about the scale space battles take place on. Missiles can be adjusted with engines, which is something beams don't have. Beam warfare is just much harder and requires a different way of thinking about ship construction.

Offline Mastik

• Lieutenant
  • M
« Reply #1126 on: December 06, 2015, 08:53:50 PM »
22October 2111

'Tis all over, earth has been overrun.  :'(

Finally figured out who this was, my first encounter with the star swarm.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 07:07:51 AM by sloanjh »

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #1127 on: December 06, 2015, 11:30:04 PM »
Is this a new thing? I seem to recall the AI didn't do ground invasions, also, wth, spoiler ground troops? That's awesome but all kinds of weird.
If this isn't a bug then perhaps just the fact they can invade should be a spoiler itself.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 07:07:30 AM by sloanjh »
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #1128 on: December 07, 2015, 07:06:28 AM »
Added spoiler tags to preceding two messages (see preceding, completely spoilered, post for reason why).

John
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 07:08:36 AM by sloanjh »

Offline 83athom

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #1129 on: December 07, 2015, 10:31:18 AM »
4 years in, and the slowdown has begun. This was expected given the number of NPRs started and the NPR spawn chance. However, it is only slowed down to 1 day increments and is going pretty fast.

Also; Help, I made an end game interceptor/drone and I can't get it balanced (size). Its at 122 tons and I can't find anything to bump it to 125 without going over, even adding a layer of armor makes it 127. I like how the fighter crew space let me get this to this small and would be more useful for a 250 ton craft, but the tiny crew space would make it 125 tons exactly but add all that wasted space.
Code: [Select]
Spiro class Interceptor    122 tons     1 Crew     300.2 BP      TCS 2.44  TH 16  EM 0
81967 km/s     Armour 1-2     Shields 0-0     Sensors 1/1/0/0     Damage Control Rating 0     PPV 1.2
Maint Life 0 Years     MSP 0    AFR 24%    IFR 0.3%    1YR 9    5YR 136    Max Repair 275 MSP
Intended Deployment Time: 0.1 months    Spare Berths 3   
Magazine 8   

200 EP Photonic Drive (1)    Power 200    Fuel Use 56%    Signature 16    Exp 20%
Fuel Capacity 5 000 Litres    Range 13.2 billion km   (44 hours at full power)

Size 2 Box Launcher (4)    Missile Size 2    Hangar Reload 15 minutes    MF Reload 2.5 hours
Missile Fire Control FC70-R3 (1)     Range 70.1m km    Resolution 3
S2 AFM (4)  Speed: 299 000 km/s   End: 3.8m    Range: 67.9m km   WH: 25    Size: 2    TH: 996/598/299

Missile to hit chances are vs targets moving at 3000 km/s, 5000 km/s and 10,000 km/s

This design is classed as a Fighter for production, combat and maintenance purposes
Its now almost feels like there should be a fighter fuel space that is 1 ton and holds 1000L. And yes, I know its not the best of designs, its meant to cruise cross system from a carrier (any ship with hangar space including frigates and whatnot) and knock out any FACs and fighters before the fleet moves in, or launched from a colony to do the same to an invading fleet.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 08:49:05 AM by 83athom »
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Offline DIT_grue

• Lieutenant
  • D
« Reply #1130 on: December 07, 2015, 11:26:43 PM »
Also, BUG/spelling error; the design window says Litres instead of Liters.

... That's not a spelling error, that's Steve not being American.

Offline 83athom

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #1131 on: December 08, 2015, 07:48:51 AM »
Already resolved in the bugs page
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Offline 83athom

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #1132 on: December 11, 2015, 08:56:08 AM »
So... 12 JPs in Sol... whats the chances?

Offline Mastik

• Lieutenant
  • M
« Reply #1133 on: December 11, 2015, 02:00:48 PM »
  A big thank you to our not so friendly, new, neighbors.  They have conducted a ramming campaign on my civilian shipping, and have left behind the wrecks of 5 scout ships and 3 gate construction ships.  The tech advances are appreciated.  ;D

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #1134 on: December 11, 2015, 09:31:36 PM »
Their gate builders were ramming civilian shipping?
That's an expensive weapon :s
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "

Offline GreatTuna

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #1135 on: December 12, 2015, 06:42:42 AM »
Goodbye old Zemnoy Soyuz, welcome new Zemnoy Soyuz!

While I'm setting up the new game, I want you to look at this governor. Never before I've seen percentages these high.

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #1136 on: December 12, 2015, 06:44:16 AM »
I have to assume that building a lot of ships raises shipbuilding skill.

Offline hyramgraff

• Chief Petty Officer
  • h
« Reply #1137 on: December 12, 2015, 06:37:51 PM »
I'm still playing a campaign that I started in 6.4 and I discovered ruins two jumps away from Sol.  I sent a xenology team and five days after they were dropped off they informed me: "The alien race which inhabited the planet as been identified as the Raipur Kingdom and their language and symbology have been translated" and that I have 186 installations that can be recovered.  :o

After laughing about the speedy accomplishment with my wife, she suggested that they must have triggered an artifact that caused a time loop and that's how they were able to work so quickly.  I have decided to RP that this is exactly what happened and that this must be the artifact that's going to give me a 40% bonus to construction and production research.

The whole team has now been awarded the newly created "Excellence in Time Travel" medal.  :)

Offline doulos05

• Chief Petty Officer
  • d
« Reply #1138 on: December 13, 2015, 09:05:28 PM »
Is it truly newly created? Or did your team realize what was happening and go back in time to have the medal created before they even finished the project.

Offline Jumpp

• Lieutenant
  • J
« Reply #1139 on: December 14, 2015, 01:14:50 PM »
So I started a new campaign for 7.0.

Found one neighbor, the Perdus Magnus, two jumps from Sol. Inconveniently, their home is the secondary star which puts them about 10bkm from the jump gate. This made the invasion and their subsequent integration into the empire a bit of a logistical challenge, but we sorted them without much fuss and only one lost ship, a civilian tanker.

They did an odd thing I've never seen before from NPRs: They put extremely strong garrisons at their remote mining colonies. The few defending units at their homeworld were easily knocked over. The 1st Infantry Division rolled them in about three weeks. Defending garrisons at the remote mining sites were much tougher. The 1st was outgunned and we had to wait until we could bring in two brigades of the 3rd Marine Division to reinforce them. Even then, the fights at Perdus Magnus-A asteroids #34 and #42 took several months each, and consumed 3-4 replacement battalions each.

Those creepy aliens with the supercarriers who leave no wreckage or lifepods (we usually call them the Tyranids) were present in Proxima Centauri, one jump from Sol. They had a 60,000-tonner which, near as I can tell, is one of their smaller carriers. I've seen them as big as 200k in earlier games.

We've explored about 36 systems. The new jump-point rules are terrific. It makes a much more interesting and less crowded map.

Oddly, we've found absolutely no trace of the aliens that we usually call the "Necrons." These are the ones that tend to be present in small strength in a great many systems, and also frequently emerge from ancient ruins. Seems like in previous games we've found these little devils in every third or fourth system. We don't know what to make of their apparent absence. I've double-checked the universe config and we've definitely checked the box which enables them.

We created the game with one NPR, and we strongly suspect that the Perdus Magnus were they. They bore signs of old age, such as explorer craft with over 10 years in the field and many remote-mining colonies. (These data aren't conclusive, however. We didn't precisely measure the time, but it's possible that ten years passed from the time that we first met the Perdus Magnus until the glorious unification of our two worlds beneath the standard of the Senatus Populusque Solari.) We created another NPR after absorbing the Perdus Magnus, and we've permitted NPRs to spawn other NPRs, so there's at least one more NPR out there and possibly several.

In ~2055 we detected a hostile transit in the Sol System, at a JP out beyond Uranus' orbit and consequently far past the range of our thermal sensors. An immediate search turned up no sign of any ship. It may have left quickly, or more likely just hasn't blundered into our searchers. The Sol system is very large. Chastened by this failure, we're rapidly improving our thermal sensors in Sol and deploying more listening posts in surrounding systems. Never again will an alien fleet reach the Sol system unobserved.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 01:32:38 PM by Jumpp »