Author Topic: What's going on in your empire/planet/battlefield?  (Read 267293 times)

Offline GodEmperor

• Commander
Re: What's going on in your empire/planet/battlefield?
« Reply #1410 on: May 07, 2016, 03:55:57 PM »
There is a massive evacuation effort on my Earth ...  :'(

Its a continuation of my Kaiserreich game where syndycalists a.k.a. communist in that timeline, overrun almost entire planet and in Aurora continuation i play as Australia/Entente.

Russia have crushed the bolshevik rebelion of 1918 only to sucumb to them in 1940 due to internal chaos following the assasination of president Kerensky.
Altough victorious in the Weltkrieg, German Empire had massive economy problems and have fallen once Commune of France attacked them with aid from the Union of Britain.
Second American Civil War ended up with the collapse of Federal goverment and creation of Combined Sydicates of America who the proceeded to destroy both Mexico and Canada ( where King of England sought refuge after syndycalist takeover of British Isles ).
Japan was quite expansionist, eager to jump on German colonial possesions in South East Asia but unlike in our timeline it had to forefit the expansion of the continent because most China was unified under the banner of newly formed Tian Empire, militant nationalist theocracy that was isolationist but ready to destroy all its enemies ( that was me ).
South America had it share of internal strife and wars as well when meagre remnants of Entente ( democratic alliance led by Australia after Canada downfall ) and Internationale ( commies ) battled for power.

By the 1960 power balance was struck.
Internationale controlled most of Eurasian continent ( almost everyone in Europe was syndycalist, Russia had puppeted India, Vietnam, Laos and rest of Indochina ), Africa and North America.
United States of South America bonded into one faction to remain independent.
Tian Empire power was growing as well as Empire of Japan.

Entente was composed of Australia, New Zealand and sad remnants of German Empire holed up on Madagascar and couple of Indian Ocean islands but managed to negotiate a ceasefire..
How ? By building, in secret, massive amount of nuclear weapons ( with "little" help from both Tian and Japan ).
Australians were unable to liberate rest of the world but Syndycalists didn't wanted to risk erasing humanity from existence by provoking one-sided nuclear conflict.
Of course both sides knew that status quo wont last forever and started the rapid industrialization and arming itself.
Lead by the Prime Minister Josh Godfrey and Edward's VIII son, His Majesty Henry Windsor, Australia transformed into one big armed camp. When TN science was discovered every square inch of that land was made useful - either as a farm, weapon factory or housing space.
Internationale and rest of the world followed and by the 1980 world was starting to get very tense place to live ( again ).

World War III started on 1st May, 1987.
Internationale launched a full on attack, thinking that lack of Australian spaceships means they are easy targets. But the lack of Entente navy was not without reason - they simply invested heavily into Planetary missile and defence bases.
Who then returned the investment tenfold - in mere hours entire Internationale navy and all its land bases were smoldering wrecks and their forces were in full retreat.

However - nuclear exchange lowered the Earths average temperature and upped Earth radiation level to the point where annual population growth dropped to -3.5 %.
Faced with the extinction of human race ( i have only 374m people now, down from almost 500 ), Entente and rest of the world raced to construct starships to evacuate our planet.

With Luna and Mars being annexed in the early 70's by the Tian Empire, the Entente gaze is directed far outside the inner asteroid belt, to the airless rock known as Europa....

On August 23 1992, 20 000 Entente settlers arrive on Europa onboard the Diaspora class freighter Astral Queen...
« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 05:19:49 AM by Lossmar »
."I am Colonel-Commissar Ibram Gaunt. I am known as a fair man, unless I am pushed.
You have just pushed me."

Offline xXKageAsashinXx

• Scrublord
  • Petty Officer
  • Shameful dispray!
« Reply #1411 on: May 11, 2016, 04:08:21 PM »
Befriended two aliens, because I gimped myself and made my population nowhere near able to handle my infrastructure to handle building and maintaining a navy, and now they're duking it out in a system I haven't even been to besides the initial discovery.  Gotta love allies that slow your game down to 5 seconds per turn.

That moment when you see the alien force, and realize it's bigger than yours.  

Offline xXKageAsashinXx

• Scrublord
  • Petty Officer
  • Shameful dispray!
« Reply #1412 on: May 13, 2016, 04:48:14 PM »
Back-to-back, sorry, but I must add this.  The fight between the allies, while slowing my game down like it's been anchored to hell, hal let me have a salvager literally in the midst of battle salvaging their destroyed ships.  Since none of the destroyed ones have broke 15k tonnage, it's been super quick and the salvager still has tons of room.  Now I'ma try to whisk away some of the survivors in the lifepods to study before they either get picked up or expire XD

Offline AL

• Captain
  • A
« Reply #1413 on: May 13, 2016, 05:48:59 PM »
What's their tech level like compared to your own? Salvaging certain spoilers is a highly profitable venture from what I've heard, but I feel NPR's are generally equal or lower tech than human players.

Offline Drgong

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #1414 on: May 15, 2016, 12:22:07 AM »
My community game just reached our first year of in game play.  With some ships and probes starting to appear from the folds of the three teams.
Also, Ruins discovered.
Check out or Join my Community Game
http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?board=235.0
Also check out my stories, including Interactive tales.
http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?board=239.0

Offline xXKageAsashinXx

• Scrublord
  • Petty Officer
  • Shameful dispray!
« Reply #1415 on: May 15, 2016, 09:27:07 PM »
Quote from: AL link=topic=3808. msg91067#msg91067 date=1463179739
What's their tech level like compared to your own? Salvaging certain spoilers is a highly profitable venture from what I've heard, but I feel NPR's are generally equal or lower tech than human players.
Piss poor.  Anything I could possibly learn is how far behind they are to me.  I was trying to rp tech-superior robots fueled by atmospheric methane that freeze every planet they come across (since there's no anti-greenhouse limit) that are gimped by population, as they take quite a while to build even with assembly factories.  However, even for aurora, my patience weared thin having to juggle which industries were active so that my pop worked on what I wanted them to work on.  It was an interesting problem that I wouldn't mind retying at a later date, but for now I couldn't handle it.

Edit: Also forgot to mention, they've now brought the fight to my home system. I've got two primitives (compared to me) duking it out next to my populated worlds and it's really irritating having to go 5-30 seconds per turn.

Edit 2: Apparently, missiles can cause collateral damage if the target ship is occupying the same space as the uninvolved. Just lost a civilian freighter to 3 damage 25 missiles. That thing can take a hit, that's for sure, but now due to the A.I.'s crap we're at war technically, and they hate me for their mistakes. Oh the joys of allies that take a fight through 3 systems...
« Last Edit: May 15, 2016, 10:57:54 PM by xXKageAsashinXx »

Online Andrew

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #1416 on: May 16, 2016, 06:23:15 AM »
61 Cygni, the system of Doom.
Adjacent to Sol it was infested with a serious case of precursors , and I have met a friendly NPR there, fairly certain it is not their home system. After 18 years and the destruction of 2 Battle fleets (14 and 22 ships respectively), my 3rd fleet goes in and wipes them out with the expenditure of 90% of its missiles , then as I don't have a jump ship for the 3rd generation large ships (20,000 tons) they retreat to the JP to wait for a Gate ship to build a gate. Survey ships enter and salvagers as there are a lot of wrecks here. First Survey ship jumps out to Wolf XX and encounters the Invaders and a lot of wrecks (I suspect this may be the friendly NPR's homesystem oops), so runs away . 5 days before the jump gate to Sol is finished 3 invader ships enter the system and wipe out my fleet 18 ships who can't put up any realistic defense as they have no missiles left and 20cm lasers on the 2 energy combatants stand no chance against Invaders and their ECM.
A 4th fleet is under construction in Sol in the hope that it will be finished before the invaders arrive, apart form that I have 2 Hab 0 planets in Alpha Centauri and 61 Cygni and a bunch of other planets which could be terraformed and excellent mineral deposits in several systems near Sol.

There are plenty of spare missiles on Earth, probably not enough to kill Invaders in an open space battle but enough so my fleet would have died fighting, of course no Missile collier had been built and most of the missiles were fired from Box launchers so no practical way to rearm the fleet in 61 Cygni

Online Andrew

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #1417 on: May 21, 2016, 03:12:18 PM »
Fortunatly the Invaders never got around to invading Sol instead they have built up a huge fleet (123 ships) in 61 Cygni. After a few encounters with groups of their ships I have built up to a fleet of 158 ships backed by 140 fighters (ranging from 18000-50000 tons) and have gone after them. So far I no damage has been done but I believe I have survived all their long range missiles and am currently shooting my way through their AMM salvo's 511 missiles per salvo , no hits so far as I have a lot of Gauss cannon. When they have run out of missiles we will see if I have enough missiles to kill them, if I don't then their 50cm lasers will probably cut my fleet to pieces.
I think this is the largest battle I have fought so far , the scaling effect is interesting I don't think any previous fleet of mine could have survived the AMM bombardment as I just would not have had enough guns to shoot them all down

Offline iceball3

• Captain
« Reply #1418 on: May 24, 2016, 01:18:28 AM »
Fortunatly the Invaders never got around to invading Sol instead they have built up a huge fleet (123 ships) in 61 Cygni. After a few encounters with groups of their ships I have built up to a fleet of 158 ships backed by 140 fighters (ranging from 18000-50000 tons) and have gone after them. So far I no damage has been done but I believe I have survived all their long range missiles and am currently shooting my way through their AMM salvo's 511 missiles per salvo , no hits so far as I have a lot of Gauss cannon. When they have run out of missiles we will see if I have enough missiles to kill them, if I don't then their 50cm lasers will probably cut my fleet to pieces.
I think this is the largest battle I have fought so far , the scaling effect is interesting I don't think any previous fleet of mine could have survived the AMM bombardment as I just would not have had enough guns to shoot them all down
Battle of the century! I don't know how I could possibly get a fleet going that big without getting my economy imploding as such! Play with maintenance on?

Online Andrew

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #1419 on: May 24, 2016, 06:39:05 AM »
Maintenance is on, I started of with 1.2 Billion on Earth and HW Minerals on Earth and Mars. Both of those are pretty much mined out. Fuel is coming from Harvesters but I am very low on it , Money has not been a huge problem I have a large population on Mars and another of about 250, million  in Alpha centauri now. On a few occasions I have been almost out of cash but in each of those cases  shipbuilding has finished allowing me several months to build up again before starting on more ships.
I lost 2 ships in the battle both to ramming attacks, my missiles killed all their beam armed ships. I would probably not have managed that if they had held their antimissiles back to shoot down my missiles. However the combination of fast ships, ECCM and heavy armour made them difficult to kill with lasers and gauss cannon. My losses were limited to 2 ships as I had 5 Decoy ships along (200k commercial hulls stuffed with armour) I had meant them to absorb missile fire but they were largly ignored . But they absorbed ramming attacks by most of the enemy missile ships.

As soon as the fleet gets back home I am starting to scrap the older ships to save on their maintenance , I expect to scrap half to 2/3 of the fleet , as I have already established that a squadron of 8 of the middle aged ships can clear a precursor force from a system I really don't need all of those ships and a lot have engines , sensors and weapons 2 or 3 generations old, and that does not allow for the tech boost from salvaging a huge invader fleet

Offline iceball3

• Captain
« Reply #1420 on: May 24, 2016, 08:46:02 PM »
Maintenance is on, I started of with 1.2 Billion on Earth and HW Minerals on Earth and Mars. Both of those are pretty much mined out. Fuel is coming from Harvesters but I am very low on it , Money has not been a huge problem I have a large population on Mars and another of about 250, million  in Alpha centauri now. On a few occasions I have been almost out of cash but in each of those cases  shipbuilding has finished allowing me several months to build up again before starting on more ships.
I lost 2 ships in the battle both to ramming attacks, my missiles killed all their beam armed ships. I would probably not have managed that if they had held their antimissiles back to shoot down my missiles. However the combination of fast ships, ECCM and heavy armour made them difficult to kill with lasers and gauss cannon. My losses were limited to 2 ships as I had 5 Decoy ships along (200k commercial hulls stuffed with armour) I had meant them to absorb missile fire but they were largly ignored . But they absorbed ramming attacks by most of the enemy missile ships.

As soon as the fleet gets back home I am starting to scrap the older ships to save on their maintenance , I expect to scrap half to 2/3 of the fleet , as I have already established that a squadron of 8 of the middle aged ships can clear a precursor force from a system I really don't need all of those ships and a lot have engines , sensors and weapons 2 or 3 generations old, and that does not allow for the tech boost from salvaging a huge invader fleet
Ahh, impressive! Hmm, in terms of the commercial vessels, though, have you considered giving them a full-band array of active sensors (several size 1 sensors, one of each at resolution 1, 20, 50, and max) so that your decoy ships will both broadcast their position to hostile ships and get increased targetting priority due to acting as active sensor ships? Granted, the range will be super low if you are restricted at size 1 as such.

Online Andrew

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #1421 on: May 25, 2016, 05:56:04 PM »
It occurred to me only after I had started building them. However I think the Invaders had split their missile salvo's to attempt to engage multiple ships in my fleet so given the size of the fleets each of my ships probably only faced one or at the most 2 salvo's. Really they where much more useful for absorbing ramming attacks.

The enemy missile fire was no threat anyway , my fleet mounted so many Gauss turrets that most of them did not have to fire. If like my fleet the Invaders had fired Box launcher salvo's they may have been able to overload my missile defenses and get hits but with standard launchers they just could not get to salvo density to overload them .

It is taking a long time to salvage all the wrecks, and looks like it will boost my engine technology by 2 levels

Offline GodEmperor

• Commander
« Reply #1422 on: May 26, 2016, 01:47:16 AM »
It occurred to me only after I had started building them. However I think the Invaders had split their missile salvo's to attempt to engage multiple ships in my fleet so given the size of the fleets each of my ships probably only faced one or at the most 2 salvo's. Really they where much more useful for absorbing ramming attacks.

The enemy missile fire was no threat anyway , my fleet mounted so many Gauss turrets that most of them did not have to fire. If like my fleet the Invaders had fired Box launcher salvo's they may have been able to overload my missile defenses and get hits but with standard launchers they just could not get to salvo density to overload them .

It is taking a long time to salvage all the wrecks, and looks like it will boost my engine technology by 2 levels

Wouldn't AI be smart enough to see that those active ranges are suspisciously low for a warship and simply ignore/target something else ??

Menawhile in my game :

Hang in there guys ffs ..... :(
Dem feels...

EDIT : Wooohooo i actually made it in time <3
Now time to hunt the bastard who killed 153 crewmen of Voyager and captain Joel Evans..
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 02:03:42 AM by Lossmar »
."I am Colonel-Commissar Ibram Gaunt. I am known as a fair man, unless I am pushed.
You have just pushed me."

Iranon

« Reply #1423 on: May 26, 2016, 03:19:45 AM »
Not commercial, but I can strongly recommend low-tech railgun ships over armour balls. Low-power engines and base-tech railguns are cheaper than armour for the same damage absorbtion, can be repaired in the field, and a few 1000 railgun shots do some work regardless of what gets targeted.

Online Andrew

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #1424 on: May 26, 2016, 05:25:20 AM »
In this case the armoured balls were probably more useful than railgun ships.
1) I have 200,000 ton commercial yards which were not doing anything vital, my largest military yards at 50,000 tons were busy turning out real warships
2) Against invaders I strongly suspect the 10cm railguns would have been totally useless , the to hit penalty for the large ECM (Even with my ECCM) combined with the low tracking speed would have dropped the 2 hit chance to 0
3) My main fleet suffered successful ramming attacks despite a barrage of fire from lasers and gauss cannon , the decoys took the ramming attacks without endangering my valuable warships.

Against missile fire the railgun ships would probably have been at least as useful but as I had something like a 200% oversupply of PD guns on my battlefleet they would not have been needed