Author Topic: What's going on in your empire/planet/battlefield?  (Read 267286 times)

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
Re: What's going on in your empire/planet/battlefield?
« Reply #1530 on: October 06, 2016, 04:20:11 PM »
Does emergency cryo work properly now? At one point survivors were not spread around in the TG, so the first ship in the list always picked up all survivors and could easily get completely overwhelmed.

Offline 83athom

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #1531 on: October 06, 2016, 09:23:29 PM »
Does emergency cryo work properly now? At one point survivors were not spread around in the TG, so the first ship in the list always picked up all survivors and could easily get completely overwhelmed.
No.
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Iranon

« Reply #1532 on: October 07, 2016, 04:26:40 AM »
The Battle of Sol (that I had no involvement in beyond search and rescue) is mostly over.

Final tally is ~190 wrecks, and interred on Mars are 11700 and 6400 survivors respectively.
The fireworks had been fairly impressive, around 150 simultaneous explosion of WH19 missiles, several hundred of WH5 ones and offensive AMMs, some volleys may have pushed a thousand. Point defence hardly got anything.
Beam combat was fairly s rare and seemingly one-sided with massive salvos of 16-damage impacts.

The losing and more numerous side appears to be behind me in engine tech (Magneto-Plasma to ICF) and sensors, but considerably ahead in weaponry.
The winner is mostly unknown, but their ships are a little slower. I expect some fancy particle beams in the wreckage, because of those strength-16 hits.
For a possible confrontation (I may have to, for slowdown reasons) and taking into account the sheer numbers, the most effective route appears to be shelving missiles and going heavy on flak barges... but will that suffice if something nasty comes out of that wormhole 3 jumps away?

Offline ExChairman

• Bronze Supporter
  • Commodore
  • E
  • Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter : Support the forums with a Bronze subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
« Reply #1533 on: October 14, 2016, 07:23:04 AM »
Hmmm I am not going to stay in this system I recently found. 1  Matriarch and 2 queens... Several soldiers none to close but we are getting out fast!!!
Veni, Vedi, Volvo
"Granström"

Wargame player and Roleplayer for 33 years...

Offline smoelf

• Commander
  • 2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #1534 on: October 23, 2016, 02:45:33 PM »
Sooo, I guess I'll be starting over then? It seem they aren't interested in my buildings, so I could theoretically try to build up another fleet, but I doubt I can handle 37 damage missiles and 65 damage energy weapons at this tech level.

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #1535 on: October 24, 2016, 12:33:43 AM »
Savage.
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Iranon

« Reply #1536 on: October 24, 2016, 03:25:58 AM »
Ouch.

37-damage missiles doesn't sound like a problem, you can defend against decent-sized missiles regardless of tech.

65 damage energy weapons on fast ships,  backed up by strong fire controls and probably ECM/ECCM, sounds like the bigger problem. Kiting those is probably not an option.
AI designs tend to have fairly poor point defence, massive missile strikes may work. Disabling them with microwaves in an epic brawl may also be an option... both sound painful and expensive from a position of weakness though, and if you can't overwhelm them you will throw away a lot of material for no gain.

Offline smoelf

• Commander
« Reply #1537 on: October 24, 2016, 06:10:29 AM »
Well, it's my own fault for playing with the invaders on, being under the delusion that I was actually approaching semi-competency.   

Lessons learned, experience acquired and grade points increased as I am getting ready for a fresh sol start  :)

Offline AbuDhabi

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #1538 on: October 24, 2016, 06:14:25 AM »
Game broken, this time by the ship armour size limits. And I had conquered two alien races! One TN, one conventional. They spawned in the same system.

(I was playing with no NPRs at start, with 70% for NPRs to spawn on suitable planets discovered by me.)

Offline smoelf

• Commander
« Reply #1539 on: October 25, 2016, 02:23:56 PM »
I started a new game, this time without real stars and unchecked some of the spoilers, for a safer start.   Quite a few good planets and a good amount of ressources in the first few systems.   Also, being from Denmark it is immensely amusing to see how it prioritizes the naming of new systems.   If only it used æ, ø and å. 

Also, I'm gonna need a bigger fuel tank.  .  . 
« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 01:26:06 AM by smoelf »

Offline AbuDhabi

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #1540 on: October 26, 2016, 01:03:06 AM »
I only it used æ, ø and å.

You only what;)

Also, I'm gonna need a bigger fuel tank. . .

Is there anything interesting at that companion, even?

Offline smoelf

• Commander
« Reply #1541 on: October 26, 2016, 01:31:40 AM »
Quote from: AbuDhabi link=topic=3808. msg98408#msg98408 date=1477461786
You only what;)

Is there anything interesting at that companion, even?

Probably not, but I won't know until I get there ;)

To be fair, there is a decently colonizable planet.  It would actually be fun to be inspired by one the generation ships that I read about in another thread.  Make it a self sufficient one way trip, and hope that there are minerals.

Offline AbuDhabi

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #1542 on: October 26, 2016, 01:50:50 AM »
Let's see.

A ship pulling 2000 km/s would take approximately 50 years to reach that companion, whereas a ship pulling 10kkm/s would only take 10 years. 10 years is not that long. (50 years is about half of what my games reach, before some bug or slowdown kills them.)

I suggest a commercial one, because a military ship would get crippled by malfunction or have to take altogether too many maintenance supplies.

With your current tech, can you make a commercial ship that can pull 10kkm/s, has capacity for like 50k+ colonists, a geological sensor, a troop transport bay with enough room for a construction brigade, a cargo hold for some Duranium (you don't need that much; optionally, Corundium also) and enough fuel for 10 years travel?
« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 02:36:41 AM by AbuDhabi »

Offline Zincat

• Captain
  • Z
« Reply #1543 on: October 26, 2016, 05:05:07 AM »
My suggestion would be just to ignore that. Unless there's some lagrange point of course.

Or build a specific ship just for the fun of it, but DO know you'll never actually use that distant star in any meaningful way XD

Offline AbuDhabi

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #1544 on: October 26, 2016, 05:24:05 AM »
My suggestion would be just to ignore that. Unless there's some lagrange point of course.

Or build a specific ship just for the fun of it, but DO know you'll never actually use that distant star in any meaningful way XD

Actually, species wealth is shared. Provided that a colony cost 0 can be achieved there with limited resources (maybe haul enough Boronide for a single terraforming facility), that place might be quite productive in terms of keeping your scientists elsewhere paid.