Author Topic: Confused  (Read 1787 times)

Offline Person012345 (OP)

• Captain
Confused
« on: December 01, 2011, 09:23:59 PM »
So in my game, playing multiple races on earth, I get this message:
ESA - Research Completed - N/A - Information on Replacement Batallion has been provided to us by NASA

Ok... so here's where the confusion arises: Although the ESA is friendly with NASA, we have no tech treaty, or anything I'm aware of that would make them give me that (I'm playing both races, neither are NPC and I don't know how to give techs (outside of SM) anyway). Ok, so maybe they were feeling generous (or "provided to us" is a euphemism). But NASA haven't got Replacement Battalion tech yet. I'm confused as to not only why, but how a race gives me a tech that it hasn't researched and doesn't have available to it yet, especially when I am that race.

Am I missing something obvious?

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Re: Confused
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2011, 09:39:08 PM »
So in my game, playing multiple races on earth, I get this message:
ESA - Research Completed - N/A - Information on Replacement Batallion has been provided to us by NASA

Ok... so here's where the confusion arises: Although the ESA is friendly with NASA, we have no tech treaty, or anything I'm aware of that would make them give me that (I'm playing both races, neither are NPC and I don't know how to give techs (outside of SM) anyway). Ok, so maybe they were feeling generous (or "provided to us" is a euphemism). But NASA haven't got Replacement Battalion tech yet. I'm confused as to not only why, but how a race gives me a tech that it hasn't researched and doesn't have available to it yet, especially when I am that race.

Am I missing something obvious?

Tech Osmosis.

After a while, older tech flows to races in contact with you.

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2011, 09:41:20 PM »
Tech Osmosis.

After a while, older tech flows to races in contact with you.
That works even when neither race has the technology in question? I'd heard of that but assumed it happened with obsolete techs or something. Not techs that no faction in the solar system has researched yet.

Offline Din182

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • D
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2011, 08:28:27 AM »
Did you do a trans-Newtonian start? Because if you did, then it must have decided to give you the tech because Nasa had those units.
Invader Fleet #13090 has notified Fleet Command that it intendeds to Unload Trade Goods at Earth!

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2011, 10:20:08 AM »
Did you do a trans-Newtonian start? Because if you did, then it must have decided to give you the tech because Nasa had those units.
Nope, every race in the game has started pre-newtonian (there are no NPR's for the time being).

Offline TheDeadlyShoe

• Vice Admiral
  • Dance Commander
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2011, 10:52:51 AM »
Have you been excavating ruins?  It's possible you got techs out of a ruin.

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2011, 11:55:56 AM »
No ruins, we're barely off Earth now. The ESA have 10 Automated mines on titan, that's it. No-one has researched engineering brigades. And it does say the tech was given by NASA to the ESA. And checking after I got the message, NASA did not have the technology (they later researched it independently).

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2011, 01:23:08 PM »
No ruins, we're barely off Earth now. The ESA have 10 Automated mines on titan, that's it. No-one has researched engineering brigades. And it does say the tech was given by NASA to the ESA. And checking after I got the message, NASA did not have the technology (they later researched it independently).

It sounds like a bug. I'll take a look at it later. It will probably be an unforeseen consequence of the tech osmosis code interacting with the recent change to require research of ground units

Steve