8 (21.6%)
70k-150k
0 (0%)
150k-1mil
3 (8.1%)
+1mil
2 (5.4%)

Total Members Voted: 37

Author Topic: Favorite warship tonnage range?  (Read 2064 times)

Offline canshow (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • c
Favorite warship tonnage range?
« on: September 05, 2015, 12:17:41 AM »
I have noticed a trend where people are posting a lot of designs between 5k and 50k tonnage for warship.

I assume it is because of cost (shipyard worker amounts and resources), fleet specs, and efficiency that many designs are for smaller tonnages?
Because personally, I love to build my warships as big as I can (2.6mil current game) and make them invincible.

How about you guys?

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
Re: Favorite warship tonnage range?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2015, 12:43:21 AM »
My games don't end up lasting long enough to reach multi million tons for warships.
But I prefer a size limit somewhere around 100-200k simply because I like to replicate a wet navy feel, the largest battleships barely crossed 50k tons and apart from super carriers 30 tons was generally around the size of most other large ships.
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline Viridia

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2015, 05:19:31 AM »
1-30k range, for the simple fact that most of my games have rarely lasted long enough to necessitate larger designs, and I like the 'early years' feel it gives me.

Iranon

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2015, 05:56:38 AM »
Early game: 9000t (I like 0.9 power multipliers, I like max-size engines, various roles and speeds)
Mid game: Add some 27000+ battlecruisers (big enough to make good use of shields)
Endgame: Anything goes, from unsupported fighter swarms over straightforward battlewagons to planet-built death stars.

Offline Ostia

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • O
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2015, 06:18:58 AM »
I usually switch to 15k - 30k ships early. At that point I can build proper specialized ships without having to chip off corners to make everything fit.

Offline papent

• Lieutenant
  • Off We Go Into The Wild Blue Yonder
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2015, 03:56:50 PM »
I keep my warship's small (5k <) mostly divided between 2.5k corvette designs and larger frigate designs. my ships are typically very specialized. with an rare small run of a larger design as needed. small ships can typical get under most races sensor range quickly. plus are easy to build anywhere. just sometimes a shortage of officers.
In my humble opinion anything that could be considered a balance issue is a moot point unless the AI utilize it against you because otherwise it's an exploit you willing choose to use to game the system. 
Rule 0 Is effect : "The SM is always right/ What SM Says Goes."

Offline Vandermeer

• Rear Admiral
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2015, 08:27:07 PM »
Hard to say what would be my favorite, because every size has a certain touch about it. Favorite in game style is definitely the 1mt+, just because of the ease of being able to have recreation on board, and giving you a minimum micromanagement armada. That is game efficiency decision though.
Favorite in style I would probably chose 60k ships, or 62.5k, so that you can have 40% engine dedication exactly. This size seems to feel just right for me when I imagine the ship in comparison to all the usual 7-16k ships around, however it offers little in matters of game strategy, because the big ship advantages (shield, armor, best senors, and potential to multi-role without much main mission sacrifice) only show at even higher sizes, and you certainly lost the small ship ones already too (stealth and divisibility).
I am just about to test formations of these in my next game though.
playing Aurora as swarm fleet: Zen Nomadic Hive Fantasy