Poll

Military Motto

Velocitas Eradico "I who am speed, eradicate" (Small fast ships)
Fidelis Autem Miles in Bello "The always faithful soldier on the battlefield" (Ground forces)
Ad Orbem per Technicam (Scientific superiority)
Fortis et Ivivctus "Strong and Invincible" (Large armored ships)
Bellum Internecium (Genocide)
Nunquam non Paratus "Never unprepaired" (Intelligence)
Praestantius Possum te (All rounded/Jack of all trades)
Dulce Bellum Inexpertis (Large groups of cheap ships)
Alea Iacta est "The die has been thrown" (Leave everything to chance)

Author Topic: How do you handle your military matters in the game?  (Read 2101 times)

Offline 83athom (OP)

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
How do you handle your military matters in the game?
« on: September 15, 2015, 12:39:45 PM »
So how do you usually handle your military matters?

Velocitas Eradico "I who am speed, eradicate"- Your ships are so fast, you go in, strike, and get out before the enemy know they are doomed.

Fidelis Autem Miles in Bello "The always faithful soldier on the battlefield"- Sure, you have ships with technology that can concur others at will, but you and your people prefer to get down and dirty on the ground, making sure nothing left stands in your path.

Ad Orbem per Technicam (Scientific superiority)- You don't need to make armored bastions or cleverly design your ships because you will always have the technological advantage over everything.

Fortis et Ivivctus "Strong and Invincible" (Large armored ships)- You create the true monsters that roam  the universe. The ships of legend that no one sane would build, but would always be coveted.

Bellum Internecium (Genocide)- Nothing shall remain to smear filth on you and your people, because you are the true race that the gods themselves crafted to perfection.

Nunquam non Paratus "Never unprepaired" (Intelligence)- You are never surprised, you never second guess, and you always win. Because when you know the enemy better then they themselves do, you can never loose.

Praestantius Possum te (All rounded/Jack of all trades)- You have no blind spots, no holes. Everything that can possibly be thrown at you is covered.

Dulce Bellum Inexpertis (Large groups of cheap ships)- Why bother caring about how effective your ships are? You have the resources, and you have the people. You can never loose in a battle of attrition so you make the enemy loose in it.

Alea Iacta est "The die has been thrown" (Leave everything to chance)- Unlike other sane races who would test their weapons and systems until they are know intimately by their operators, You rush to your experimental prototypes that have never been tested. You will either loose and learn from mistakes, or you succeed gloriously.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 01:12:45 PM by 83athom »
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Offline GreatTuna

• Lt. Commander
Re: How do you handle your military matters in the game?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2015, 02:18:49 PM »
Speed - check.
GF - hm, I use boarders and capture populations instead of bombing, so... check.
Science - check.
Large armored ships - check.
Genocide - no check.
Intelligence - check.
Jack of all trades - I have counters to EVERYTHING, so check.
Zerg rush - no check.
Prototype design - check.

That's 7/9 of your military doctrines. So what should I pick, hm?

Offline GodEmperor

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2015, 04:25:20 PM »
I roleplay hard as frakk so it varies from play to play.

Sometimes i use specialized ships that work as a combined arms like in Nexus Jupiter Incident/other sf games.
I had plays where i used kinetic weapons only ( rail/gauss and missiles ), no shielded ships with hangars to emulate Battlestar Galactica feel.
I had ones with small fast ships with one-two weapons ( spinal lasers, big missiles launchers ) to kind simulate Homeworld.
I had ones with big ( and i mean BIG ) ships with lasers and stuff, where every ship had troop transport/combat drop capacity to simulate Warhammer 40k style fleet ( and as a bonus i had colony on some dur/neutr rich asteroid with few Ground Training Facilities to act as a Chapter Monastery where my Adeptus Astartes were trained excusively )

It really depends what i have a feel for at the moment ;)
."I am Colonel-Commissar Ibram Gaunt. I am known as a fair man, unless I am pushed.
You have just pushed me."

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2015, 05:43:25 PM »
My general doctrine is fielding as many cheap ships as I can afford, engines as turbocharged as possible (leading to constant fuel problems) and blindly rushing forces into situations I haven't properly prepared for.
And wasting most of my empires production on refits too I suppose.
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline AL

• Captain
  • A
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2015, 11:31:09 PM »
In my recent two games I have been following big ships and genocide in one, and big ships/many ships with a carrier/fighter approach in the other. I might try a high-tech game sometime too.

Iranon

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2015, 06:30:28 PM »
My main combat vessels tend to be fast railgun hips with a few midsized lasers and good fire control. Can force or deny engagements (including running down empty missile ships), defend against missiles, pick apart beam targets from a safe distance... and if I can't do anything unfair, they aren't that bad in a knife fight.

Other recurring themes are towed hangar pods and boarding ambushes at jump points.