Author Topic: C# Aurora Changes Discussion  (Read 448147 times)

Offline theredone7

• Leading Rate
  • t
Re: C# Aurora Changes Discussion
« Reply #495 on: January 09, 2017, 05:20:36 PM »
Quote from: 83athom link=topic=8497. msg100110#msg100110 date=1483932401
Maybe adding a tech line to represent super structures, hyper structures, city hives, floating cities, etc that provide a 20(30)(40)(etc)% bonus to maximum capacity.  While I love there finally being a limit to populations, I also think that that final limit of 12 mil doesn't really take into account technological advances and such.  I also took another look at the article, and it really didn't touch on population density that much.  While one of the interactive charts told you the density of the country, they really didn't touch on the density of cities and regions that people are living in while still growing.  I remember a video that touched on this, about how small a city could contain all currently living humans, and some cities that are flourishing have a population density multitudes greater than the total population per km those graphs gave.

Not a valid youtube URL

I recall your opposition to population caps when I made the suggestion a while back, although the reply was vague as to whether that is what you disagreed with.   While I am glad that it is now in game, I too feel that you should be able to expand via researching different methods of increasing capacity, this could be dependent on the type of planet so you'd need to research different trees based on what the ideal planet is for your species.  I'd also like to see a habitable surface area, which can change over time e. g.  a low habitable area upon terraforming a planet which increasingly expands when the planet becomes warmer.

The following users thanked this post: palu

Online Steve Walmsley

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #496 on: January 09, 2017, 05:30:33 PM »
I recall your opposition to population caps when I made the suggestion a while back, although the reply was vague as to whether that is what you disagreed with.   While I am glad that it is now in game, I too feel that you should be able to expand via researching different methods of increasing capacity, this could be dependent on the type of planet so you'd need to research different trees based on what the ideal planet is for your species.  I'd also like to see a habitable surface area, which can change over time e. g.  a low habitable area upon terraforming a planet which increasingly expands when the planet becomes warmer.

I will be adding tech to improve capacity.

On non-terraformed worlds, the pop cap is effectively whatever infrastructure you have (the habitable area) so there doesn't need to be a separate max cap.

The following users thanked this post: palu

Offline Zincat

• Captain
  • Z
« Reply #497 on: January 09, 2017, 07:11:53 PM »
I will be adding tech to improve capacity.

On non-terraformed worlds, the pop cap is effectively whatever infrastructure you have (the habitable area) so there doesn't need to be a separate max cap.

Wait. I thought the planet population capacity limit would still apply no matter what, even on non terraformed worlds. Or I am misunderstanding your phrase here?

I mean, didn't we say that capacity depends on available surface?  Because if it just depends on infra, I can drop one billion LG infra on ceres and have a huge population here.

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #498 on: January 10, 2017, 12:34:18 AM »
For worlds which need infrastructure the pop cap is how many people you can fit using infrastructure. Any more than that would need orbital habital.
Greenhouse gasses, Cryolene, and Thermophine ?
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Online Steve Walmsley

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #499 on: January 10, 2017, 04:00:44 AM »
Wait. I thought the planet population capacity limit would still apply no matter what, even on non terraformed worlds. Or I am misunderstanding your phrase here?

I mean, didn't we say that capacity depends on available surface?  Because if it just depends on infra, I can drop one billion LG infra on ceres and have a huge population here.

I didn't express myself very well :)

There is a hard population cap, which applies regardless of the colony cost of the body. For non-habitable worlds, the effective population cap is either that supported by infrastructure, or the max capacity, whichever is lower.

When I wrote my original answer I had Earth-size worlds in mind and was assuming the infrastructure capacity would never reach the max pop capacity. For small bodies however, that is a real possibility.

Offline Zincat

• Captain
  • Z
« Reply #500 on: January 10, 2017, 04:26:06 AM »
I didn't express myself very well :)

There is a hard population cap, which applies regardless of the colony cost of the body. For non-habitable worlds, the effective population cap is either that supported by infrastructure, or the max capacity, whichever is lower.

When I wrote my original answer I had Earth-size worlds in mind and was assuming the infrastructure capacity would never reach the max pop capacity. For small bodies however, that is a real possibility.

Ah ok, I understand :) I was perplexed for a moment there  ;D

Offline Bremen

• Commodore
  • B
« Reply #501 on: January 10, 2017, 05:28:45 PM »
I need better names for Safe Greenhouse Gas and Anti-Greenhouse Gas :)

Any suggestions welcome - either existing gases with no harmful side-effects (couldn't find any) or Aurora-style names for new gases.

Maybe just "Reflective Aerosols" for anti-GHG? Albedo raising gas?

Dunno about GHG. "Insulative Gas" isn't really much different than safe greenhouse gas.

Offline Desdinova

• Lt. Commander
  • D
« Reply #502 on: January 10, 2017, 08:38:25 PM »
Quote from: Steve Walmsley link=topic=8497.  msg100135#msg100135 date=1484001191
Good suggestion! I like that a lot better than what I have now.   I'm using this unless someone comes up with a better idea :)

The '-us' part is the nominative declension of the latin word, it sounds a bit more authentic to me to drop it and just use the root, ex.   Aestium, Frigium. 

If you wanted to use Greek roots you could use Thermon gas/cryon gas.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 08:41:04 PM by Desdinova »

Offline Haji

• Captain
« Reply #503 on: January 11, 2017, 02:19:16 AM »
Aestusium (based on Latin for heat)
Frigusium (based on Latin for cool)

Adam.
Good suggestion! I like that a lot better than what I have now. I'm using this unless someone comes up with a better idea :)

I like the idea as well, but there is a small problem - there are currently neither tooltips nor other descriptions for the gases in game, so the new players may not realize what those are for. Safe Greenhouse Gas may be a very boring name, but at least when I started to play Aurora I knew immediately what it was for.

Offline littleWolf

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • l
« Reply #504 on: January 11, 2017, 11:54:43 AM »
Siberium and Sakharium :)

Offline Person012345

• Captain
« Reply #505 on: January 12, 2017, 02:55:38 AM »
So does this population cap apply separately to each population on a planet or universaly shared among all factions on a planet? It would be kind of weird if united Earth could have a max population of 12 billion but America + Russia + Japan + the Isle of Man as separate factions could have a total max population of 48 billion.

Offline Zincat

• Captain
  • Z
« Reply #506 on: January 12, 2017, 03:28:10 AM »
So does this population cap apply separately to each population on a planet or universaly shared among all factions on a planet? It would be kind of weird if united Earth could have a max population of 12 billion but America + Russia + Japan + the Isle of Man as separate factions could have a total max population of 48 billion.

Erm. It's written in the very changes list post.

Quote from: Steve Walmsley
A new concept, Population Capacity, has been added to C# Aurora. This represents the maximum population that can be maintained on a single body and is primarily determined by surface area. This is the total of all populations on the same body, not per population.

Offline iceball3

• Captain
« Reply #507 on: January 12, 2017, 09:18:30 PM »
Will hydosphere affect the pop cap any? Will there be a separate tech for sub-aquatic settlements, or is it just going to be unusable area?

Offline 83athom

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #508 on: January 12, 2017, 09:22:26 PM »
Will hydosphere affect the pop cap any? Will there be a separate tech for sub-aquatic settlements, or is it just going to be unusable area?
In the "Considering Terraforming Change" thread, Steve confirmed yes.
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Offline Person012345

• Captain
« Reply #509 on: January 18, 2017, 05:27:37 AM »
Erm. It's written in the very changes list post.
Alright thanks, must have missed that.