Author Topic: Civilian sector infastructure  (Read 1431 times)

Offline Cristo (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
Civilian sector infastructure
« on: January 08, 2021, 09:09:56 AM »
So I know the civilian sector creates infrastructure - and I can see the yearly surplus on the Wealth/Trade tab.

My question is this: is that stored? If I have 100% of the civilian freight moving my own infrastructure around through supply and demand orders does the infrastructure the sector build stockpile? Or is it just lost?

Offline tobijon

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • t
Re: Civilian sector infastructure
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2021, 09:23:48 AM »
The infrastructure is newly created and will increase the amount you have available. On planets which require it, it is added to the total, on planets which do not, trade ships can bring it to where it is needed otherwise its not saved. You do not need to do anything for this to happen the trade ships will bring infrastructure from planets that don't require it to the ones that do (not included infrastructure already present on the planet).
« Last Edit: January 08, 2021, 09:25:28 AM by tobijon »

The following users thanked this post: Cristo

Offline Cristo (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2021, 09:31:47 AM »
Thank you - so in other words if you are using your civilian ships to move stuff to their carrying capacity you are loosing infrastructure constantly.

Offline tobijon

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • t
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2021, 09:46:38 AM »
yes, but it doesn't matter much because earths production alone is plenty unless you're expanding crazy fast. You still should use commercial shipping, but if you're worried about it maybe not a hundred large installations at once.

Offline Cristo (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2021, 10:01:13 AM »
By earths production do you mean your manual production?

Sure it's 'enough' but what I'm learning is foolish is manually producing infrastructure and then having civilians ship it - since that's just wasted production and minerals it seems.

Offline Kylemmie

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • K
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2021, 11:19:06 AM »
I think I understand what you are getting at. Let me see if my method jives with your thoughts.

I generally only ever build 10k of Infrastructure on Earth. And even this may be too much, but it's cheap so too much is way better than the alternative. If it's one of your initial builds, it can be slow. I usually do 5%, maybe jump it to 10% for a bit, then back down to 5 unless I'm pumping it up just to clear it from my list. That's all I ever need to build myself. I put ~500 on each baby making colony (Luna, Mars, usually Mercury) and any good planet with under 5 CC and decent minerals. (and in decent range of Earth in early game - don't send Infra on year long trips before you have other colonies started and self sufficient.

That 500 infra will grow as the colonists make their own. It's slow, but adds up over time and multiple starter colonies. Once that Colony reaches 0 CC, all that Infra that is there (both shipped to and built by colonists there) is available for you to move to the next colony. By the point it changes to that lovely shade of dark blue 0 CC, I've prob shipped another 2-5000 Infra in batches of 300-500 Civ Orders. Except for the initial starter Freighter and Colony ship needed to jump start the Civ Companies, I rarely ship Infra myself.

By the time a colony goes Blue, there is usually 10k+ Infra more than what I've shipped there.

Why do I ship more Infra when the colonists are already making it themselves? Speed. The number one reason for colonies (besides the Bonanza Worlds) is Pop Growth for me. Defensive Positions for Maintenance Base Colonies is a close second. I want to keep a decent way ahead of the Pop Limit to keep that juicy 5%+ Pop growth room to populate. Once you do this, you will note you can actually start shipping Infra off before it reaches the 0 CC mark and keep pop growth at it's current max.

Starting with the standard 500M pop start, Pop is always the tightest resource for me until mid to late game.

Offline Cristo (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2021, 11:23:50 AM »
I think I understand what you are getting at. Let me see if my method jives with your thoughts.

I generally only ever build 10k of Infrastructure on Earth. And even this may be too much, but it's cheap so too much is way better than the alternative. If it's one of your initial builds, it can be slow. I usually do 5%, maybe jump it to 10% for a bit, then back down to 5 unless I'm pumping it up just to clear it from my list. That's all I ever need to build myself. I put ~500 on each baby making colony (Luna, Mars, usually Mercury) and any good planet with under 5 CC and decent minerals. (and in decent range of Earth in early game - don't send Infra on year long trips before you have other colonies started and self sufficient.

That 500 infra will grow as the colonists make their own. It's slow, but adds up over time and multiple starter colonies. Once that Colony reaches 0 CC, all that Infra that is there (both shipped to and built by colonists there) is available for you to move to the next colony. By the point it changes to that lovely shade of dark blue 0 CC, I've prob shipped another 2-5000 Infra in batches of 300-500 Civ Orders. Except for the initial starter Freighter and Colony ship needed to jump start the Civ Companies, I rarely ship Infra myself.

By the time a colony goes Blue, there is usually 10k+ Infra more than what I've shipped there.

Why do I ship more Infra when the colonists are already making it themselves? Speed. The number one reason for colonies (besides the Bonanza Worlds) is Pop Growth for me. Defensive Positions for Maintenance Base Colonies is a close second. I want to keep a decent way ahead of the Pop Limit to keep that juicy 5%+ Pop growth room to populate. Once you do this, you will note you can actually start shipping Infra off before it reaches the 0 CC mark and keep pop growth at it's current max.

Starting with the standard 500M pop start, Pop is always the tightest resource for me until mid to late game.

Thanks for the input - yeah this is seeming like more or less what I'm going to be doing going forwards.

Few things:
"Bonanza Worlds"?
What do you mean by 'blue' 0.0 CC? Am I missing some colored interface for this?

Offline RougeNPS

• Lt. Commander
  • R
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2021, 11:25:14 AM »
I believe he is referring to terraformed worlds and their hydrographic extent.

Offline Cristo (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2021, 11:32:23 AM »
I believe he is referring to terraformed worlds and their hydrographic extent.

Hmmm that makes sense thanks!

Offline Kylemmie

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • K
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2021, 12:30:19 PM »
yeah sorry!

It's a 'Yay' Benchmark for me when a Colony goes from light blue (low CC cost) to dark blue (zero CC cost). At that point I can stop the mirco on pop vs Infra completely and safely move all the Infra and Terra stations to outbound movement orders. The only exception being if there is still a question of whether Water Vapor dropping might effect Oxy % or similar. I'll keep a dozen Terra stations around until I'm sure it's not going to be a problem.

Bonanza World for me is Low or even mid (3-5 CC) CC World with Millions of Minerals of 5+ types with 3-4+ Accessibility total and a system that has adequate minerals of what the Colony site is missing.  Destined to be Manufacturing hubs of their own Sector if more than a couple jumps away from Sol.