Author Topic: New Create Game Window  (Read 2876 times)

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
New Create Game Window
« on: June 30, 2009, 10:07:03 AM »
I have changed the creation of a new game from a series of questions and selections to a single window that is filled in beforehand. I hope this will be a lot easier for new players and will allow experienced players to more easily customise the game start. The existing game window becomes the Modify Game window, allowing you to update parameters mid-game. On the new window, if you change the population, government type or the industrial percentage, the size of the manufacturing sector and the number of research labs and shipyards is shown. The shipyard and research lab figures can then be overriden. You can click on the screenshot below to view at normal size

[attachment=0:3okpzkov]gamewindow.JPG[/attachment:3okpzkov]
Steve

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
Re: New Create Game Window
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2009, 10:53:50 AM »
Awesome!  Thanks Steve, this'll be a huge help.

Offline welchbloke

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2009, 11:37:35 AM »
A great big vote of thanks for the change from me too!
Welchbloke

Offline Beersatron

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2009, 12:06:29 PM »
Looks sweet!

Got a question on the assignment of starting tech, if you deselect the automatic option do you then spend the points on the research tab in game, or is there are another screen when you hit Create that specific handles this?

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2009, 12:22:27 PM »
Quote from: "Beersatron"
Looks sweet!

Got a question on the assignment of starting tech, if you deselect the automatic option do you then spend the points on the research tab in game, or is there are another screen when you hit Create that specific handles this?
If you don't spend the starting tech point, you can spend them in game on the Research tab of the Population window. A small box called Tech Pts Remaining will appear with the number of remaining points. As you use the instant button to select techs, the number of tech points is reduced accordingly. When they are all used, the box vanishes.

Steve

Online Kurt

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • 2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2009, 12:40:57 PM »
Very, very nice Steve!  

Kurt

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2009, 07:22:01 PM »
Very nice. You got a spelling error in the Political skill area. "Conections"

Offline ShadoCat

• Commander
    • http://www.assistsolar.com
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2009, 11:43:55 PM »
Beauty.

Offline waresky

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
  • Alpine Mountaineer..ohh Yeah!
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2009, 10:41:13 AM »
Awesome work!
u hit very hard our fantasy....

Offline Paul M

• Vice Admiral
  • P
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2009, 02:48:58 AM »
Steve,
I am going to restart my Draakkaa campaign and go again with a pre-tnt start but I am not sure how to handle the technological points.  The game window starts with 30,000 points and auto assign selected.

What should I do for a pre-tnt start?  Change the value to 0 or ignore it?

BTW saw your aurora post on the wargamer.com.

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2009, 09:48:54 AM »
Quote from: "Paul M"
Steve,
I am going to restart my Draakkaa campaign and go again with a pre-tnt start but I am not sure how to handle the technological points.  The game window starts with 30,000 points and auto assign selected.

Hi Paul,

I just did a pre-tnt start last night, and left the default settings - it didn't appear to give me any starting tech.  In other words, it looks to me like setting to 0 and ignoring have the same effect.

John

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2009, 06:31:09 PM »
Quote from: "sloanjh"
Steve,

I just did a pre-tnt start last night, and left the default settings - it didn't appear to give me any starting tech.  In other words, it looks to me like setting to 0 and ignoring have the same effect.
The default for pre-TNT is now no starting tech. I have changed the code for the next version so the Assign Starting Tech option is unflagged when you selected Conventional

Steve

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2009, 06:37:33 PM »
Yes, I haven't really advertised the existence of Aurora very much, apart from a post on the Star Ranger forums a while back. Although we have almost 400 registered users, a lot of Starfire players registered in the early days and since then the expansion in numbers must have been through word-of-mouth. This latest version brings it to the point where I am happy to draw people's attention to it because it is a playable game now rather than a work in progress. I'll see what reaction I get from the wargamer forum and then I may mention it in a few other places.

I have also registered a doman name now (http://www.aurora4x.com) so in the coming weeks I will probably create a website that shows off the game, although these forums will remain my main focus.

Steve

Offline Paul M

• Vice Admiral
  • P
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2009, 05:31:31 AM »
Thanks Steve and John I've been side tracked a bit by HOI3 but I want to get back to Aurora and hopefully not face the annoying error messages that ruined the last game.  4.1 looks very good...haven't yet downloaded 4.11.

The wargamer is a great place I think.  I tend to oscillate in my posting there though.  I found out about Aurora basically from word of mouth after I got fed up with Starfire (not the game but the list) and then the local starfire group succomed to real life events *sigh*.  As a suggestion Steve make a signature for yourself there with the aurora website in it that will probably help as well.

I am really looking forward to the operational diplomacy as it makes NPRs a lot more interesting to me.   Have to see how things go this time about, the fact that the civillians won't be dumping population and infrastructure on hellballs I want only automatic mines on is a huge improvement as well.

And the ability to build terraforming installations and move them is great.  I wanted to do that several times in the last game since trying to keep ships in orbit around a colony world is major pain.

Did you fix PDCs drawing maintenace minerals in 4.11?

Offline Hawkeye

• Silver Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2009, 06:14:42 AM »
I just wanted to throw in, that there is a link from "Atomic Rocket" to Aurora at http://www.projectrho.com/rocket/rocket3ar.html
(that´s how I found my way here)

As Paul, I have been a bit busy with another game lately (WitP AE) but will have a look at Aurora again, when the first excitement settles down a bit.

:)
Ralph Hoenig, Germany