Author Topic: Jump Squadron  (Read 1322 times)

Offline Lafe Sparhawk (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • L
Jump Squadron
« on: January 21, 2010, 07:05:51 PM »
"Is the other ship 28000 tons? If so, that's your problem. The wormhole size created by a jump drive is the lesser of the jump drive capacity and the jumpship's mass. So your freighter only makes a wormhole of size 27900, even though the jump drive can handle up to 28000. That would be my first guess for your problem."

John
sloanjh

From what I understand in the above quote: If I have a ship that has a tonnage of 60,000 tons with a jump drive capable of 70,000 tons my squadron cannot jump with the equipped ship without being 60,000 tons or less?

Lafe

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Re: Jump Squadron
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 07:11:06 PM »
Quote from: "Lafe Sparhawk"
"Is the other ship 28000 tons? If so, that's your problem. The wormhole size created by a jump drive is the lesser of the jump drive capacity and the jumpship's mass. So your freighter only makes a wormhole of size 27900, even though the jump drive can handle up to 28000. That would be my first guess for your problem."

John
sloanjh

From what I understand in the above quote: If I have a ship that has a tonnage of 60,000 tons with a jump drive capable of 70,000 tons my squadron cannot jump with the equipped ship without being 60,000 tons or less?

Lafe

Correct. The size of the jump ship determines the actual size of the wormhole.

So for jump ships, it's not worth it to build any smaller than your jump drives.

Offline Lafe Sparhawk (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • L
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2010, 07:14:03 PM »
Thankyou Erik, after reading through the forums, I was a bit confused as to the actual mechanics of the situation. Sloanjh's post seemed to be the most clear.

Lafe

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2010, 07:37:34 PM »
Quote from: "Erik Luken"
So for jump ships, it's not worth it to build any smaller than your jump drives.

Yep - I usually pad my jump ships up to the drive's "size" with fuel tanks.

One clarification - Aurora rounds ship mass (other than fighters) up to next integral number of HS, so you don't need to worry about the ship's size being a fraction of a HS too small.

For example, let's assume you haven't researched any of the "small" systems (like small fuel or small crew quarters), so the smallest system you've got is a 1 HS fuel tank.  Let's say you've got a jump drive which can handle 120HS (this used to be my standard jump drive).  You then go to design your jump cruiser, and end up with it saying that its mass is 119.3 HS (the fractional HS will be due to armor).  That's ok - 119.3 gets rounded up to 120, which matches the jump drive.

John

PS - glad you got some use from that post - it turned out I was wr...wrr...wrrr...wrong about what was causing that particular player's problem.