Author Topic: Anti-radiation missiles  (Read 1507 times)

Offline Barkhorn (OP)

• Commodore
  • B
Anti-radiation missiles
« on: August 05, 2014, 01:09:57 PM »
So I'm sure you all know about the "Wild Weasals" in Vietnam.  They'd fly dangerous missions to destroy Vietnamese Surface-to-Air missile installations.  They did this usually by using anti-radiation missiles.  They'd home in on the SAM site's radar station, using their own radar against them.

I propose an on-board sensor for missiles that works similarly.  Instead of using an on-board active sensor, it'd home in on the enemy's own active sensor.
It might have to be pretty expensive or large though, as I could easily see this kind of thing dominating missile combat.

Offline Haji

• Captain
Re: Anti-radiation missiles
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2014, 02:44:32 PM »
You can equip any missile with an on board EM sensor, which works pretty much only on ships with active sensors engaged.

Offline sublight

• Pulsar 4x Dev
  • Captain
  • s
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2014, 07:31:48 PM »
I wish! It may have been a different version or a bugged game, but the last time I tried this my EM-homing missiles ignored active scanners and would only lock on if they found an EM signature from shields.

So suggestion, make EM sensors on missiles acquire active scanners as valid targets.

Offline Barkhorn (OP)

• Commodore
  • B
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2014, 09:51:10 PM »
I thought on-board sensors were just for things like sensor buoys, except for active sensors.

You're telling me that on-board EM sensors will guide the missile in without an FC lock?

Offline Anarade Relle

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • A
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2014, 10:21:10 PM »
Yes, but generally the range of EM/TH/Active sensors on missiles are pretty small. They're generally used as mines or to guide missiles in to new targets after the original target is destroyed. So you don't waste follow up salvos, etc.

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2014, 08:22:16 AM »
So i guess going by what sublight said onboard EM sensors are so weak they'll pretty much only manage to target onto a shield.
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "