Author Topic: PDCs - Magazines - Planetary Missile Stockpiles.  (Read 3340 times)

Offline @@ (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • ?
PDCs - Magazines - Planetary Missile Stockpiles.
« on: October 01, 2014, 10:29:43 AM »
Would it be best to for a PDC to not have a large magazine capacity, just enough for one reload.  Then dump a stock pile of missiles of the appropriate type on the planet, and just reload from that every time the PDC needs another magazine load.  Seems logical to me, why increase your needed tonnage when you can just have a dump work as an unlimited capacity. 

Is this correct or is there something I am missing?

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Re: PDCs - Magazines - Planetary Missile Stockpiles.
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2014, 11:10:06 AM »
I do not recall if there is a difference in loading from magazines as opposed to loading from stockpiles. I would hope that magazines would be faster reloads.

Offline Paul M

• Vice Admiral
  • P
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2014, 02:56:38 AM »
You can do it, if you should do it is another matter.

Aurora allows you to do many things, you have to decide if they make sense or not. 

Erik there is no difference, using the misc tab you can move missiles to the PDC magazine in 0 time.  I'm not sure if you can just not bother with a magazine at all and just load in to the tubes directly (never tried this).

Offline Jorgen_CAB

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • J
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2014, 03:45:49 AM »
You don't need magazines on PDC if you exploit the game mechanics that way. You can automatically reload them from planetary stocks.

Personally I use very restricted rules for reloading ships as well. There are no zero time for reloading ships in space with missiles, that is just unrealistic. It should take hours in reality to reload the magazines of a ship from a collier ship. If it can take a 25% reduced sized launcher several hours to reload the launcher from magazines within the this I don't see how reloading the magazines themselves should take zero seconds.  ;)

To fully enjoy the game you might need to make up your own rules for things the game mechanics fail to represent for immersions sake. I have lots and lots of small and large house rules I like to follow.

Offline alex_brunius

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2014, 05:32:05 AM »
You don't need magazines on PDC if you exploit the game mechanics that way.

Personally I use very restricted rules for reloading ships as well.

To fully enjoy the game you might need to make up your own rules for things the game mechanics fail to represent for immersions sake. I have lots and lots of small and large house rules I like to follow.

Agreed. I also would never build a PDC or Ship without magazines ( or with very small ones ) and exploit zero reloading times from colony/other ships either.

Offline @@ (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • ?
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2014, 12:52:42 PM »
this just points to a new need. Bombardment of planetary stockpiles. Making ammo dumps as possible targets would make this a more risky strategy. (Even envoking some player to build PDC's with VERY large magizine capacity just for ammo storage.

Offline Jorgen_CAB

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • J
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2014, 02:36:28 PM »
From a realistic point of view I'm not sure that you need to build PDC on a planet to protect them. Any deep hole in the ground would suffice and be very hard to detect from orbit anyway. PDCs are very easy to spot and it is probably smarter to hide them than present them as a good targets.

It would be more realistic if it would take hours or even days to reload a PDC magazine from ground based cashes of missiles. Planets tend to be big and moving stuff on planets is much more time consuming than in space.

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2014, 07:30:41 AM »
this just points to a new need. Bombardment of planetary stockpiles. Making ammo dumps as possible targets would make this a more risky strategy. (Even envoking some player to build PDC's with VERY large magizine capacity just for ammo storage.

Just to be clear, I think it's fair to say that Steve's intent is that both reloading magazines (both on the ground and on ships) and in refueling from tankers should not take zero time.  He just hasn't had a chance to code these things up.  So the message people are trying to deliver is that they use role-playing to fill in the gap in the software.

That being said, yep bombarding planetary stockpiles is an interesting idea - maybe it should take a REALLY long time to reload planetary magazines that aren't next to an ammo dump (since part of the mechanism would need to be a rationale for the race to be storing its missiles in a non-dispersed manner).

John