Author Topic: Missile Active Sensor Question  (Read 1485 times)

Offline HaliRyan (OP)

• Lt. Commander
  • H
Missile Active Sensor Question
« on: September 11, 2011, 07:17:27 PM »
I'm sure this has already been answered somewhere, but I can't seem to find it:

If I understand correctly I can give my missiles a sensor strength, and then if their original target is destroyed or the controlling ship bites the dust they will proceed to the last location of that target and pick a new one from within their sensor range.  Does that prevent missile over-kill on a target? For example if there are 10 missiles in the volley and the target explodes from 5 of them, will the other 5 seek new targets or is the whole volley considered to have hit all at once?

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Re: Missile Active Sensor Question
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2011, 07:56:34 PM »
I'm sure this has already been answered somewhere, but I can't seem to find it:

If I understand correctly I can give my missiles a sensor strength, and then if their original target is destroyed or the controlling ship bites the dust they will proceed to the last location of that target and pick a new one from within their sensor range.  Does that prevent missile over-kill on a target? For example if there are 10 missiles in the volley and the target explodes from 5 of them, will the other 5 seek new targets or is the whole volley considered to have hit all at once?

B - all at once.

I'm assuming by "volley" you mean a single unit with multiple missiles (typically all fired from the same ship, with the same target and FC and of the same type) - this is typically called a salvo IIRC.  If you have multiple salvos in a single attack (e.g. 10 groups  of 4 missiles from a group of 10 FAC) and one of the earlier salvos kills the target, the remaining salvos won't attack.  So if salvo 4 had killed the target, you'd have 6 salvos left over that would attempt to acquire a new target.

John
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 08:00:09 PM by sloanjh »

Offline HaliRyan (OP)

• Lt. Commander
  • H
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2011, 08:05:31 PM »
Well, the specific situation that had me curious was using fighters with box launchers.  If a carrier sends out a strike group of 60 fighters, and they all fire a missile at the same time at the same target while all being in the same TG. . .  you see where I'm going with this?

Offline Ashery

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • A
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2011, 09:57:29 PM »
Each of the fighters will create a separate salvo, so you'll be fine.

Say you have a ship that will take two missile hits before goin' boom. If you have ten salvos of two missiles, only one salvo would be "used" to kill the ship and you'd have nine salvos remaining (Assuming they had sensors). If you were to fire a single salvo of twenty, however, every missile would hit the small ship.

A salvo, as defined by the game, consists of all missiles fired from a particular fire control on a specific ship (And perhaps based on missile type: If two missiles have different speeds, it won't matter if they were fired from the same FC). So, a ship with eight missile launchers evenly distributed between two fire controls will launch two salvos of four missiles.

Offline Charlie Beeler

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2011, 09:58:51 PM »
A single salvo is defined by the launchers that fire during the same cycle that are linked to the same fire control.  

Examples:
10 launchers assigned to 1 fire control will form a single salvo of 10 missiles.

10 launchers assigned to 10 seperate fire controls will form 10 seperate salvos of 1 missile each.  
Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics - paraphrase attributed to Gen Omar Bradley

Offline HaliRyan (OP)

• Lt. Commander
  • H
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2011, 04:24:35 AM »
Awesome.  Thanks guys =]