Author Topic: Wyrm MK II class Fuel Harvester Base  (Read 2521 times)

Offline Charlie Beeler

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
Re: Wyrm MK II class Fuel Harvester Base
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2010, 01:31:06 PM »
Quote from: "Father Tim"
Quote from: "Charlie Beeler"
Quote from: "welchbloke"
I would have had enough maintenance capacity to fix any failures. Other than that looks reasonable, the fuel tanks fill up roughtly every 7 years I see; what is your strategy for shipping the fuel out?

It's a commercial ship.  Only requires the minimum engineering space for construction.

No, that's definitely wrong.  Either it does not require maintenance, in which case it has too many engineering spaces, or it does require maintenance, in which case it has too few.

And I'm not sure what you mean by "the minimum engineering space for construction."  If you're referring to the one automatically added (along with bridge & crew quarters & fuel tank) when you click the 'New' button, it's not mandatory - you can remove it if you're building a maintenance-free commercial ship.  For that matter, you can remove any of the other components added automatically - it's just a convenience feature.

Minimum being the 1 engineer space that the F5 class design screen still requires (v5.14).  I agree that the this is redundant since ships that are classed as commercial require no maintenance.  Without at least 1 full size engineering section the F5 screen will not allow you to "lock" and display an error message related to the missing section being required.
Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics - paraphrase attributed to Gen Omar Bradley

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2010, 09:58:35 PM »
Well that's . . . annoying.  When did that change?

Offline Charlie Beeler

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2010, 10:01:41 PM »

As far as I know it's been that way all along.  Personally, I think it was an oversight on Steve's part when he changed the maintenance requirements for commercial ships.  I tend to use it as a means of assigning some extra supply ships.
Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics - paraphrase attributed to Gen Omar Bradley

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2010, 03:26:43 AM »
Quote from: "Charlie Beeler"

As far as I know it's been that way all along.  Personally, I think it was an oversight on Steve's part when he changed the maintenance requirements for commercial ships.  I tend to use it as a means of assigning some extra supply ships.

My recollection is that it was intentional (and yes, it's been that way all along) - even commercial ships will break, and the 1 engineering space represents needing to account for this (e.g. spares) in an abstract way.  It might be better to make the requirement mass-based, but that would start inching us back into complexity on this topic.  Another way to look at it is that it makes large commercial ships more efficient than small ones, which is a reasonable direction in which to push things....

John