Author Topic: Warfleet of Terra  (Read 6841 times)

Offline Brian Neumann

• Vice Admiral
Re: Warfleet of Terra
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2011, 05:36:59 AM »
Submitted for your approval, the Dominus Astra
My important question comes in maitenence.  The jump drive on this monster is enormous.  If that fails, thats a lot of maintenence points.  But I realized that I wasn't getting much improvement by adding storage.  Am I right in thinking its probably just number skew by the size of the jump drive.  If the drive fails 4 times in a year, thats the end of its maintenance points.  But thats unlikely, right?  Or do I really just have a bucket of bolts that can only be expected to fly for one year?  

Secondarily, I threw two damage control units on there, but I'm not really sure what they're actually doing or how that rating is measured.
The current method that Steve used for figuring the estimate time for running out of maintenance is to assume that any failure will be of the  most expensive system.  In your case this is partially true.  Look at the damage allocation table (tab in F5 screen)  and see what the chance is that your jump drive will be what fails.  As it is a big part of the ship it has a high failure chance.  Use that as a modifier on the number shown to get a better idea of how long your maintenance supplies will last.  Second part is that the maintanence storage bays (3 hs 1000 points of maint.) only add the extra maintenance points they do not reduce the chance of failure that the standard engineering spaces do.  In most cases I find 3 engineering spaces will give me more endurance than 1 maintenance storage bay will.  Maintenance storage bays are most usefull on carriers where they will be reparing their parisite ships.  The damage control units each add 10 points to the damage control rating.  The higher the damage control rating the faster the ship will fix battle damage.  I do not remember the actual code but I have a recolection that larger items take longer to repair in general.  Also when repairing damage after the fact and not a maintenance failure you will use up twice as many maintenance points as normal.  So for your huge jump engine remember to have more than 4 times as much mainenance on hand so you can do a battlefield repair and still have some left over for other repairs.  Improved damage control adds 20 to your damage control rating, Advanced 30 ect.

Brian

Offline Thiosk (OP)

• Commodore
« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2011, 01:54:05 PM »
So looking at that damage breakdown, I see the jumpdrive has a 1/20 value while the turrets, for example, has a 8/8.  The secondary numbers all add up to more than 100, so its not percentage, So to estimate the damage, what would I do-- add up all the secondary values times the first value and take ratios?  (ie considering these two components, 20/20+64)

« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 03:16:53 PM by Thiosk »

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2011, 06:26:23 PM »
So looking at that damage breakdown, I see the jumpdrive has a 1/20 value while the turrets, for example, has a 8/8.  The secondary numbers all add up to more than 100, so its not percentage, So to estimate the damage, what would I do-- add up all the secondary values times the first value and take ratios?  (ie considering these two components, 20/20+64)

I suspect that that should be read as "1 at 20" and "8 at 8".  If you look at the range of numbers, I expect you'll see jump drive taking up 20 numbers and lasers 64 (8x8).

John

Offline Thiosk (OP)

• Commodore
« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2011, 06:57:41 PM »
Yes, thats certainly how i read it, but I still can't work out what the actual likelyhood my ship is going to last merely 1 year in the field without resupply.  Thats pretty bad.  Each engineering space adds approximately 3 days to the expected endurance, and I think thats grossly skewed.   

Offline Narmio

• Lieutenant
  • N
« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2011, 08:13:44 PM »
To eyeball the failure chance of everything else on the ship, remove the jump drive and see what happens to the maintenance numbers.  It'll be off somewhat because of the overall size change, but it will give you an idea.

Offline Thiosk (OP)

• Commodore
« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2011, 04:37:19 AM »
I learned today that you can do commercial military jump ships.  I already payed the god-awful like 22500 RP to get this one built though, but whatever.  Sheesh! 

Without further ado, I give you the Nightshade

The fledgling terran fleet is finally developing long-range punch, but there is no specific strike force in service.  Additionally, terran scientists are getting quite adept at mastering cloaking technology, but the military brass has had to accept that no cloaked fighter is reasonable to field.

However, the absolute smallest cloaking device yet devised can shroud an 1800 ton ship, and this device forms the core of the first FAC of the Imperium.  With 35% thermal reduction and 85% size reduction, the nightshade is small, reasonably fast, and able to deliver its complement of photon torpedoes.  The craft will then immediately return to base.  There are plans to pair it with a cloaked scout variant and early plans are underway to use a cloaked tanker as well, for any longer sorties. 

Photon class torpedoes are currently loaded, though the brass suspect the cloaking could allow these ships to get quite close to their quarry with little fear of retaliation.

Code: [Select]
Nightshade class Fast Attack Craft    1,400 tons     124 Crew     391.3 BP      TCS 4.2  TH 128.8  EM 0
13142 km/s     Armour 2-11     Shields 0-0     Sensors 1/1/0/0     Damage Control Rating 1     PPV 3.6
Annual Failure Rate: 15%    IFR: 0.2%    Maint Capacity 175 MSP    Max Repair 161 MSP    Est Time: 3.23 Years
Magazine 24   

Stealth FAC Drive (1)    Power 368    Fuel Use 650%    Signature 128.8    Armour 0    Exp 36%
Fuel Capacity 100,000 Litres    Range 19.8 billion km   (17 days at full power)

Size 4 Box Launcher (6)    Missile Size 4    Hangar Reload 30 minutes    MF Reload 5 hours
FAC Torpedo Launcher (1)     Range 67.6m km    Resolution 20
Photon Torpedo (6)  Speed: 45,000 km/s   End: 20m    Range: 54m km   WH: 9    Size: 4    TH: 270 / 162 / 81

Cloaking Device: Class cross-section reduced to 15% of normal
ECCM-4 (1)         ECM 20

Missile to hit chances are vs targets moving at 3000 km/s, 5000 km/s and 10,000 km/s

This design is classed as a Military Vessel for maintenance purposes

Offline Thiosk (OP)

• Commodore
« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2011, 03:08:00 AM »
Carrier operations!

The Tiger's Claw is designed to carry a full squadron of cloaked fast attack craft (can anyone tell me why they have to be cloaked?  hm?)

It is the hanger-strapped-to-engines design, and carries its squadron of 15 Nightshades (see above) and one boomer (not shown) that is designed to sneak in, and in case target locks are needed, can paint with active sensors, give the shades time to release, then go quiet and allow the whole squadron to fly back to the carrier with impunity.

Tiger's Claw class Carrier    50,000 tons     2592 Crew     10734 BP      TCS 1000  TH 4160  EM 0
8320 km/s     Armour 4-120     Shields 0-0     Sensors 1/1/0/0     Damage Control Rating 30     PPV 0
Annual Failure Rate: 666%    IFR: 9.3%    Maint Capacity 6025 MSP    Max Repair 120 MSP    Est Time: 3.38 Years
Hangar Deck Capacity 23000 tons     Magazine 1800    

IC Fusion Drive Standard (52)    Power 160    Fuel Use 50%    Signature 80    Armour 0    Exp 5%
Fuel Capacity 2,450,000 Litres    Range 176.4 billion km   (245 days at full power)

ECM 20

This design is classed as a Military Vessel for maintenance purposes

The claw can't take a beating, and isn't cloaked, so I intend to keep them a little behind everyone else.

And heres a cute little PDC-- 1 boomer and 5 nightshades.  They can pull ordinance\fuel directly from the planet, or, should I load the magazines and fuel on the PDC itself?  Suggestions?

PDC Fighter Base class Planetary Defence Centre    9,300 tons     265 Crew     939 BP      TCS 186  TH 0  EM 0
Armour 5-39     Sensors 1/0     Damage Control Rating 0     PPV 0
Hangar Deck Capacity 8500 tons     

« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 03:24:51 AM by Thiosk »

Offline Brian Neumann

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2011, 05:50:24 AM »
Photon class torpedoes are currently loaded, though the brass suspect the cloaking could allow these ships to get quite close to their quarry with little fear of retaliation.
I wouldn't push this to far.  The last change Steve made to sensors mean that smaller targets can be dectect a lot further out than they used to be.  A point defense sensor that can see a size 6 missile at 2mkm will probably be able to see anything that is a full hull size or more out to around 20mkm.  As I have seen some npr's shoot at incomming missiles at 5-6mkm this would put your nightshades in their normal detection range.  The up side is that your nightshades are fast enough that a lot of anti-ship missiles are going to miss when fired on you.  Because of this I would actually recomend switching the ecm/eccm around as you are going to need the range reduction for people shooting at you if at all possible while your target range is going to be a lot less important.  At worst you will probably see a 20-30% reduction in range.  You want to hit them with at least as much of a range reduction.  Especially as fairly few ships are going to have fire control with the resolution to shoot at you guys.  Mostly just the point defense ships, and thier missiles are going to tend to be a much shorter range than the anti-ship missiles.  If you are doing any playing against somebody else this wouldn't work because they will probably put in a small fire control for size 20 targets to prevent just this from happening.

Brian

Offline Charlie Beeler

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2011, 09:19:23 AM »
Considering the missile and fire control ranges (54m km+) on the Niteshade the cloak is wasted space.  If they were intended to engage from sub-20m km then the cloak would start to be of use. 

NPR's are not going to engage a TSC of 20 or less at half that range.  Drop the cloak and bridge and add more launchers.  Cut the missile range to around 25m km and the fire control to around 32-33m km.  Keep the hull space to 20 or less and you'll have a much more combat effective FAC.

Keep in mind my opinion of the cloak is that it is best used on scouting platforms not combat hulls.  Your mileage may very.  ;)
Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics - paraphrase attributed to Gen Omar Bradley

Offline LtWarhound

• Chief Petty Officer
  • L
« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2011, 01:36:37 PM »
Quote from: Charlie Beeler
  Cut the missile range to around 25m km and the fire control to around 32-33m km.  Keep the hull space to 20 or less and you'll have a much more combat effective FAC.

I don't agree.  I used to use 25m km ranged missiles.  Lets just say there is a reason I keep my FAC missiles designed with a minimum range of 50m km, and MFC of 75m km.   I do agree with the hull size, I tend to run a 900 ton FAC design as fleet standard.

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #40 on: June 28, 2011, 10:59:23 PM »
Keep the hull space to 20 or less and you'll have a much more combat effective FAC.

In case some new players are wondering where the 20HS number came from: Ships of size 20 or less do NOT require a bridge.  This saves you 1HS (5%) that can be used for payload.  This is true both for FAC and for "normal" ships.  So 1000 ton corvettes are often a good design decision - with 2 engines they're the same speed as a FAC and still have 6-7 HS that can be devoted to payload.

John

Offline minionator

• Leading Rate
  • m
« Reply #41 on: July 23, 2011, 05:14:16 PM »
Quote from: Charlie Beeler link=topic=3460. msg36571#msg36571 date=1309184363

Drop the cloak and bridge and add more launchers.   Cut the missile range to around 25m km and the fire control to around 32-33m km.   Keep the hull space to 20 or less and you'll have a much more combat effective FAC.

Keep in mind my opinion of the cloak is that it is best used on scouting platforms not combat hulls.   Your mileage may very.   ;)

Fourthing dropping the cloak and adding more box launchers.   That fac is painfully slow for something that tech level.   Also swap out that eccm-4 for a compact eccm-2.   that's another two HS there.   Disagreeing with cutting firecontrol range though.   keeping the range significantly above your current missile range futureproofs the design (missile ships are only as obsolete as the ordnance in the tubes), and is a good way of getting around high precursor and invader ECM without a lot of expensive and time-consuming eccm research.   precursors have 40% ecm?  no problem, my stock firecon has 90mkm range with missiles of 52mkm.

Offline Peter Rhodan

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • P
« Reply #42 on: August 02, 2011, 06:02:25 AM »
At least it would probably get within range of my ships and so get to fire me - without the cloak it has no hope
I am actually looking at a similar concept for my fleet..

Offline waresky

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
  • Alpine Mountaineer..ohh Yeah!
« Reply #43 on: August 02, 2011, 08:11:06 AM »
In case some new players are wondering where the 20HS number came from: Ships of size 20 or less do NOT require a bridge.  This saves you 1HS (5%) that can be used for payload.  This is true both for FAC and for "normal" ships.  So 1000 ton corvettes are often a good design decision - with 2 engines they're the same speed as a FAC and still have 6-7 HS that can be devoted to payload.

John

+1

A nasty Fleet doctrine:)