Author Topic: Cold Sun - Discussion  (Read 9726 times)

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
Re: Cold Sun - Discussion
« Reply #45 on: February 14, 2019, 03:31:21 AM »
China seems to be doing pretty well so far. I'm waiting for the other shoe to fall.

I have avoided naming any classes Jianghu and Jiangwei, so that may be helping :)

The following users thanked this post: The Forbidden

Offline The Forbidden (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • T
« Reply #46 on: February 14, 2019, 08:11:18 AM »
China seems to be doing pretty well so far. I'm waiting for the other shoe to fall.

I have avoided naming any classes Jianghu and Jiangwei, so that may be helping :)

China cannot escape it's fate. Cosmic forces are stacked against it !

More seriously though, I think things are going to get....interesting as terraforming gradually fails to prevent Earth's cooling and the nations scramble to get their people and industry off-world.

Offline The Forbidden (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • T
« Reply #47 on: February 14, 2019, 08:15:35 AM »
Also, Steve, with the changes done to orbital habitats, are they a viable option if the nations don't find an ideal or close to ideal world in Sol's vicinity ? Further more will it be worth it to build some to continue exploiting Sol's resources after Earth either falls or is evacuated ? (Plus, it'll be interesting if one of the nation chooses to go down that path, stay in Sol and lockdown the system as the others evacuate their forces to their new capital, stealing their remaining population and industry in the home system).

Offline Marski

• Commander
« Reply #48 on: February 14, 2019, 09:49:51 AM »
Terraformable planets with 1.0 gravity seems incredibly rare

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #49 on: February 14, 2019, 10:27:05 AM »
More seriously though, I think things are going to get....interesting as terraforming gradually fails to prevent Earth's cooling and the nations scramble to get their people and industry off-world.

Terraforming is working well so far. Earth temp is now above where it started :)

There is a limit to how that can last though before the max greenhouse factor of 3x is reached, but I think it will be a quite a few more years before Earth moves below -10C.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #50 on: February 14, 2019, 10:27:59 AM »
Also, Steve, with the changes done to orbital habitats, are they a viable option if the nations don't find an ideal or close to ideal world in Sol's vicinity ? Further more will it be worth it to build some to continue exploiting Sol's resources after Earth either falls or is evacuated ? (Plus, it'll be interesting if one of the nation chooses to go down that path, stay in Sol and lockdown the system as the others evacuate their forces to their new capital, stealing their remaining population and industry in the home system).

They are a viable option. Brazil (I think - not at home atm) is considering going down that route.

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #51 on: February 14, 2019, 10:38:45 AM »
What I'm achingly curious about is which nation will build the first warship, and whether starting to do so will touch off a flurry of frantic militarization, and whether it will happen because someone spotted live aliens.  Or maybe the ruins on Mars will cough up some super-delicious weapons tech that makes the finder think they can get an overwhelming advantage.

But, of course, above all. . .  I'm waiting to see how the universe will sabotage the Chinese this time.

Offline King-Salomon

• Lieutenant
« Reply #52 on: February 14, 2019, 11:20:52 AM »
I am still looking for a first test of the ground combat system :)

maybe some of the minor nations could have a clash on mars or even earth (to see about collateral damage too) with strictly low tech ground units to make things fast, easy and cheap...

ground combat seems to me the one big risk besides AI about the changes in C# ...

really curious and excited to see it :)

Offline boggo2300

• Registered
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #53 on: February 14, 2019, 03:29:28 PM »

The Billion citizens of China thank you :)
The boggosity of the universe tends towards maximum.

Offline Desdinova

• Lt. Commander
  • D
« Reply #54 on: February 26, 2019, 02:58:00 PM »
Pity that the game is going on hold. Was there any perceptible slowdown over the course of the game?

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #55 on: February 27, 2019, 02:49:17 AM »
Pity that the game is going on hold. Was there any perceptible slowdown over the course of the game?

Maybe a little but 1-day and 5-day increments still less than 1 second.

Offline JustAnotherDude

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • J
« Reply #56 on: February 27, 2019, 10:56:17 AM »
What sort of weapons are the Colonial Alliance researching?

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #57 on: February 27, 2019, 11:00:37 AM »
What sort of weapons are the Colonial Alliance researching?

Lasers as they have a good EW scientist. Chinese are going Railguns and EU is researching particle beams. I think Russia is also lasers. Not at home atm so can't check India / Brazil but they are concentrating on other areas atm.

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #58 on: February 27, 2019, 08:23:07 PM »
Those captured mesons should proove handy though.
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline Ranged66

• Chief Petty Officer
  • R
« Reply #59 on: February 28, 2019, 05:08:50 AM »
Holy tidal-lock batman. I get that it's the most common stable energy state, but this is a little ridiculous for diversity sake. Besides, it can take billions of years for bodies to reach the tidal lock state, maybe reducing the chances a bit might be nice...