Author Topic: v2.4.0 Changes Discussion Thread  (Read 8450 times)

Offline Shuul

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • S
Re: v2.4.0 Changes Discussion Thread
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2023, 04:10:25 PM »

Yes, unless some major bug pops up.

Just to clarify, 2.4 will not be released soon? I wanted to start the game finally after initial bugfixes, but that Jump Drive change is so sweet for my play style that i decided to wait.

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2023, 04:24:58 PM »

Just to clarify, 2.4 will not be released soon? I wanted to start the game finally after initial bugfixes, but that Jump Drive change is so sweet for my play style that i decided to wait.

Not in the immediate future unless some major bug pops up.

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2023, 11:27:37 AM »

Not in the immediate future unless some major bug pops up.

Quick someone break something! ;D

The following users thanked this post: Xkill, BAGrimm, nuclearslurpee, Mint Keyphase

Offline Merlin_of_chaos

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • M
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2023, 04:54:10 AM »
Am I correct in assuming that the jump drive changes will not change that the jump drive jump capacity will still be tied to the drive itself and not the ship it’s on?

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2023, 10:15:34 PM »
I'm curious if there are any plans to reactivate the advanced weapon variants. I've only really observed the advanced railgun so far but it seems like although you can research it (provided you dig it up), it won't show up under the available options when designing a railgun. DB editing to change the TechTypeID does to match the railgun does work but the properties don't properly carry on when doing this (they have 4 shots instead of the 5 they're supposed to have). I'm assuming this is also true for other cases.

Offline Kaiser

• Commander
  • K
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2023, 10:10:06 AM »
Wow Steve, few days ago you said the new star catalog won't be done quickly and here it is instead!

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2023, 10:21:23 AM »
Wow Steve, few days ago you said the new star catalog won't be done quickly and here it is instead!

I have done nothing for the last few days except cross-reference a multitude of spreadsheets and databases, apart from occasionally sleeping or eating :)

Once or twice, a family member would pop their head into my office and be met with a glazed look as I attempted to convert my brain back to normal conversation :)

The following users thanked this post: Elouda, Kaiser, Xkill, Black, Viridia, smoelf, TheBawkHawk, BigBacon, StarshipCactus, Snoman314, lumporr

Offline Hazard

• Commodore
  • H
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2023, 02:39:32 PM »
What about writing a program to do the cross referencing for you?

The following users thanked this post: firefly2442

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2023, 02:46:04 PM »

It's not that straightforward, especially with many different data sources in different formats, covering different subsets of stars for different purposes, mostly with free text information and no APIs. Humans are still better in that situation than computers.

Otherwise, some very smart person would already have a master database of stars created for more scientific purposes than Aurora, and then I could have used that :)

Offline Jarhead0331

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • J
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2023, 03:29:08 PM »

It's not that straightforward, especially with many different data sources in different formats, covering different subsets of stars for different purposes, mostly with free text information and no APIs. Humans are still better in that situation than computers.

Otherwise, some very smart person would already have a master database of stars created for more scientific purposes than Aurora, and then I could have used that :)

What about recruiting slave labor from your devoted, loving and doting fans in this forum? I'm sure there would be no shortage of volunteers and many who wouldn't resist even if voluntold! 

Online Steve Zax

• Petty Officer
  • S
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2023, 11:24:41 PM »

And as soon as you're done, some very smart person will hack it out of the Aurora DB and use it for some scientific purpose! Hopefully thanking you for your work!

Offline db48x

• Commodore
  • d
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2023, 04:21:50 PM »

I find it hard to believe that there isn’t already a better data source than that. It’s obviously moot now that the work is done, but I would have tried to find some real astronomers to see if they really deal with data that is that bad all the time, or if they have a better source.

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2023, 05:17:41 PM »

I find it hard to believe that there isn’t already a better data source than that. It’s obviously moot now that the work is done, but I would have tried to find some real astronomers to see if they really deal with data that is that bad all the time, or if they have a better source.

I did a lot of searching on 'best star catalogue', etc. before going back to HYG. Each catalog is trying to do something different and is restricted by the technology used to conduct the search. For example, some telescopes don't work well at certain wavelengths, so the stars at those wavelengths are less accurate. Some are only interested in certain types of stars, or above a certain magnitude, or within a set distance, etc.

I did find this source, which has done some work on combining three catalogs, but it was the same cross-reference I used and still has the HYG free text for spectral class and Bayer-Flamsteed  and doesn't link binaries, so not much advantage for me beyond the basic HYG database.
https://www.astronexus.com/hyg

Bear in mind, that for astronomy, relative 3D coordinates in space or accurate binary separation are not that useful. It tends to be more about the night sky location, or optical separation. There hasn't been the need to build something to do what I need, apart from a game like Elite Dangerous, which uses SIMBAD data.
https://wiki.ed-board.net/en/

Finally, its actually good to get hands-on with the data, because you get much more of a feel for what you are dealing with and you learn a lot when you have to solve problems and understand how and why things work in astronomical data. Even if I had ended up with nothing, the last few days would have been worth the effort for the education alone.

The following users thanked this post: db48x

Offline Elminster

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2023, 07:12:25 AM »
It's great to see that you are adding more Naming Themes. Never enough to choose from. ^^

But waht about updating or fixing some of the Themes from us users?
Two examples (absolute coincidence that these are from me  ;D):

System Theme - Germany  https://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=10472.msg153960#msg153960
and the one below that "german Marine (Navy) ranks"

Offline Vivalas

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • V
« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2023, 01:10:50 PM »
I love the naming additions and the jump drive changes as well. Wondering if this means a Star Trek AAR in the near future? :)

I did a star trek run a year or so ago and the naming stuff and especially the jump drive stuff woulda been neat. I ended up just turning on "all jump points stabilized" because I think it fit star trek better.