Author Topic: Official v7.10 Bugs Reporting Thread  (Read 213962 times)

Offline Andrew

• Registered
  • Commodore
Re: Official v7.10 Bugs Reporting Thread
« Reply #465 on: July 11, 2016, 10:12:17 AM »
If I remember correctly I had 2 espionage teams deployed so possibly one team shot the other one. 

Offline Balrogue

• Leading Rate
  • B
« Reply #466 on: July 17, 2016, 08:38:53 AM »
hello, I report a bug.  When I want my Fuel Harvester unload 90% of fuel at colony and move to giant gaze with sorium when fuel tank is full, my ships go to the colony but they don't unload fuel.  Somebody have an idea ?

Offline DaMachinator

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #467 on: July 17, 2016, 05:35:05 PM »
when fuel tank is full

Unless you actually put empty, that's part of your problem.

Also make sure you don't have any OTHER special orders that might conflict.
The maximum speed of any ship or missile with a given engine technology is the speed of a ship composed only of one engine of that technology with the highest power to weight ratio possible with current technology, and nothing else.

Offline Kytuzian

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • K
« Reply #468 on: July 19, 2016, 08:09:06 AM »
Unless you actually put empty, that's part of your problem.

Also make sure you don't have any OTHER special orders that might conflict.

It's not part of the problem. The full text of the correct order (I know it's correct because I'm using it) is "Unload Fuel at Colony and Move to Sorium Gas Giant" on the condition "Fuel tanks full."

Offline Hades

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • H
« Reply #469 on: July 19, 2016, 10:03:35 AM »
Hi!

Bug: AFR grows 100x for 10x increase in ship size.  For a quick test create a new ship, slap a 1HS engine on, and keep adding armor.  At 500t AFR is 2%, at 5000t 200% and at 50000t  20000%.

Also, at high tonnage, removing the engineering bay dramatically reduces the AFR, replacing it with a smaller one, especially the fighter version, makes the AFR become even more ridiculous.

Apart from that, computing the AFR just on the size of the ship is a bit too simplistic in my opinion, at least for a game like this.  It means some huge carrier with some low power engines and otherwise pretty much just hangar and armor will have a very high AFR, while a small ship crammed full with high power components will have a low AFR.  Or just replacing a big, low power engine with small, high power one will also decrease your AFR.  But of course, that's just a minor gripe, keep doing what your doing!

Offline lennson

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • l
« Reply #470 on: July 19, 2016, 12:28:08 PM »
Hi!

Bug: AFR grows 100x for 10x increase in ship size.  For a quick test create a new ship, slap a 1HS engine on, and keep adding armor.  At 500t AFR is 2%, at 5000t 200% and at 50000t  20000%.

Also, at high tonnage, removing the engineering bay dramatically reduces the AFR, replacing it with a smaller one, especially the fighter version, makes the AFR become even more ridiculous.

Apart from that, computing the AFR just on the size of the ship is a bit too simplistic in my opinion, at least for a game like this.  It means some huge carrier with some low power engines and otherwise pretty much just hangar and armor will have a very high AFR, while a small ship crammed full with high power components will have a low AFR.  Or just replacing a big, low power engine with small, high power one will also decrease your AFR.  But of course, that's just a minor gripe, keep doing what your doing!

Maybe the maintenance workers are so over worked that they start breaking things instead of fixing them  :P.

One things is with high power components is that they are typically more expensive to fix (use more maintenance supplies) when they do break. So in terms of maintenance lifetime I am not sure if there's a big advantage to using  small high power engines over big low power ones.

Offline sublight

• Pulsar 4x Dev
  • Captain
  • s
« Reply #471 on: July 19, 2016, 02:02:48 PM »
Hi!

Not a bug. Your 5000t ship in the example above has 10x of stuff that can break but only 1/10th the maintenance crew per kTon to keep it running vs the 500t ship.

Supposedly two ships with an equal percentage of tonnage dedicated as engineering bays will have an equal maintenance life: i.e. 10x 1kTon ships each with a single engineering bay should last just as long as a single 10kTon ship with 10x engineering spaces while cumulatively experiencing approximately the same number of maintenance failures.

To avoid divide by zero errors ships without any engineering spaces appear to pretend they have 0.2% of their tonnage dedicated to engineering. That's why a massive 50,000 ton warship with only a single engineering space (0.1% engineering tonnage) could be computed as having a lower AFR without any engineering at all.

Offline Hades

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • H
« Reply #472 on: July 19, 2016, 02:17:34 PM »
Quote from: sublight link=topic=8144.  msg94299#msg94299 date=1468954968
Not a bug.   Your 5000t ship in the example above has 10x of stuff that can break but only 1/10th the maintenance crew per kTon to keep it running vs the 500t ship.   

So, please explain to me how this is supposed to work, as a 5000t ship with 10x engineering has 20% AFR and a 50000T ship with 100x engineering has 200% AFR?

Edit: Ok, scratch that, I get it, but in practice it makes really big carriers and similar things very problematic.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 02:24:33 PM by Hades »

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #473 on: July 19, 2016, 02:28:50 PM »
Don't worry about the AFR - the maintenance life is the key.

AFR just indicates the chance that something will break in any given period. It is a lot more likely that something will break on a carrier compared to a fishing boat but the carrier will be geared up to deal with it, so the two ships may have similar maintenance lives.

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #474 on: July 20, 2016, 12:27:10 AM »
Just in case Steve wasn't clear, your ship have 10 times the stuff on it so there's 10 times as much likelihood of something breaking (not quite Because engineering does decrease that somewhat) but when a break occurs maintenence supplies ensure the broken component is fixed immediately so the ship continues on its way. What's important therefore is that your maintenence life remains high as you add additional engineering.
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline Sheb

• Commodore
« Reply #475 on: July 20, 2016, 03:32:56 AM »
Although if his exemple with armor is true, that could be problematic no? Armor doesn't really break from lack of maitainance. Maybe armor tonnage shouldn't count for AFR purpose?

Offline Balrogue

• Leading Rate
  • B
« Reply #476 on: July 21, 2016, 11:57:09 AM »
It's not part of the problem.  The full text of the correct order (I know it's correct because I'm using it) is "Unload Fuel at Colony and Move to Sorium Gas Giant" on the condition "Fuel tanks full. "

It doesn't work.  If the order is "Unload 90% of fuel at colony" on the condition "Fuel tanks full", a box appear with the message "error 5".  And the ship doesn't unload fuel.

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #477 on: July 21, 2016, 06:09:11 PM »
Uh it works for me. Are you certain that there isn't something interfering?

Offline 83athom

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #478 on: July 21, 2016, 09:05:10 PM »
Is the design marked as a "Tanker" in the ship design window?
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Offline Balrogue

• Leading Rate
  • B
« Reply #479 on: July 22, 2016, 08:56:04 AM »
No, the design marked as a "Comercial Vessel for maintenance purposes" in the ship design window.