Author Topic: Mod rate vs ABR (average Build Rating)  (Read 2247 times)

Offline Nibelung44 (OP)

• Commander
Mod rate vs ABR (average Build Rating)
« on: October 02, 2013, 06:05:10 AM »
Hi,

I'm a bit fuzzy on these. The bigger the SU, the higher the Mod rate. Yet, ABR seems at best loosely related to that. I would have thought that if you take a big SY and a small one, then the first one build/refit much faster than the second? yet, that's not very obvious in the SY list.

Also, why exactly a SY has 350 ABR while another has 400? Where these numbers come from?

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
Re: Mod rate vs ABR (average Build Rating)
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2013, 09:17:20 AM »
Planetary governors can change shipbuilding rate too, also civilian shipyards expand at one tenth the rate as military shipyards, but cost a tenth as much. They also cost a tenth the manpower compared to military shipyards.
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline TheDeadlyShoe

• Vice Admiral
  • Dance Commander
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2013, 09:32:58 AM »
Ships get built at a fixed rate, dependent on their tonnage, racial tech, and governor modifiers. But it doesn't depend on the size of the shipyard.  You can't build a corvette any faster just because it's in a battleship slip, basically.  There's no benefit to building shipyards bigger than you need.  Shipyards rated ABR is only for building the biggest possible ship.

However, shipyard mod rate DOES depend on the size of the shipyard.  A 1,000 ton naval shipyard goes up to 2,000 tons a lot slower than a 30,000 ton naval shipyard goes to 31,000.  I'm unsure if the mod rate is derived from the ABR or not, but probably.  Mod rate tech just reduces the cost of modifications.

If you copy an existing shipyard but make it twice as big then check the estimated completion dates for the same ship.. you can see that it's identical. :)

numbers:

in my current game I have the "Grand Eagle" survey corvette which is 1000 tons with a cost of 214.8 BP and a build time of 0.64 years. This is a build rate of 335 BP/year, or about 0.33 build rate per shipyard ton.   The 60000 ton "C-class" carrier has 8442 BP with a build time of 2.32 years:  3640 bp/year, with 0.06 build rate per shipyard ton.  That's with a rated racial build rate of 560 bp/year.

« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 09:42:19 AM by TheDeadlyShoe »

Offline Nibelung44 (OP)

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2013, 09:58:09 AM »
ok... and me who let my SY grow and grow just so they can put out ships faster!

I should stop my primary naval SY then, it is at 100.000, should do for my future battleships.

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2013, 10:41:20 AM »
Per http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php/topic,1142.15.html:
...base rate of shipbuilding will apply to ships of size 100 (5000 tons). If a ship is a different size, the rate of shipbuilding will be:

Normal shipbuilding rate x (1+(((Class Size / 100) - 1)/2))

So this means that larger ships build faster compared to smaller ships. On a ton for ton basis.

I do not recall if Steve applied this to shipyard modifications also.

Offline Bgreman

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2013, 12:20:17 PM »
The numbers are as follows:

For SHIPBUILDING: ABR = Racial_shipbuilding_rate_tech *  (1 + 0.5*(ship_size_in_HS / DIVISOR - 1)).  DIVISOR is 100 HS for military ships and 400 HS for commercial ships (commercial ships build like military ships 1/4 the size).

For SHIPYARD MODIFICATIONS: Mod Rate = Racial_shipbuilding_rate_tech *  (1 + 0.5*(yard_capacity_per_slipway_in_HS / DIVISOR - 1)).  DIVISOR is 100 HS for military yards and 1000 HS for commercial yards (commercial yards modify like a military yard 1/10 its size).

BOTH of these values are modified by governor/sector governor's shipbuilding bonus.  Shipyard Operations Time/Cost savings tech applies to Shipyard Mod Rate, I'm not sure it applies to shipbuilding.

Additionally, manpower for commercial yards is not strictly 1/10th of a naval yard of the same size.

Manpower requirement = 1,000,000 + num_slipways * capacity_per_slipway_in_tons * 100 / DIVISOR.  DIVISOR is 1 for military yards and 10 for commercial yards.  Thus, the flat 1,000,000 manpower required is not reduced for commercial yards, only the capacity-based component.

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2013, 12:58:21 AM »
My mistake, the wiki said commercial shipyards have a base 100,000 manning requirement, plus 10 per ton.
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline Bgreman

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2013, 11:34:36 AM »
The 10 per ton is right.  The 100,000 base requirement might also be the intended behavior, but at least in 5.6 (which I'm still using), it's definitely 1,000,000.