Author Topic: RP thread  (Read 25986 times)

Offline Bughunter

• Bug Moderators
  • Rear Admiral
  • Discord Username: Bughunter
Re: RP thread
« Reply #105 on: July 19, 2016, 11:27:56 AM »
Stockholm - January 2102 (we should have split this into a separate thread)

Bulgakov now joins the conversation.

When speaking about future research this is to a large extent the area of my department, though the Duma must of course approve of many major projects.. thinking scientific creativity can be controlled and results demanded like.. eh.. what was I saying. Right, the topic of what kind of science might be of interest to the NAU. Magazine technology is not receiving any funding from my office she says with a quick defiant look towards Romanova. But for other kinds of technology there could be opportunities for coordination of efforts.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 11:30:59 AM by Bughunter »

Offline Red Dot

• Registered
  • Commander
  • R
« Reply #106 on: July 19, 2016, 12:11:41 PM »
Stockholm January 2102

"I definitely feel your pain Mrs Bulgakov," replies Dr. Powers. "As scientists, we all have to suffer through political interference. At least, I am fortunate enough that my politician come and go every few years.  That tends to allow progress to resume."

Looking at both Vorontsov and Bulgakov, Powers continues: "Perhaps I have been too specific in our areas of interest.  The three I have mentioned earlier are not exclusive. All areas of research could be of interest to the NAU. For example, if you are going to study further in Duranium Armor, Lasers, perhaps even capacitor recharge rate. This would be of interest to the NAU. We would also be interested in advanced ground combat units or sensor capabilities whether they are Gravitational, Electromagnetic or Thermal. Just like the RC, we have only begun to develop our researchers and we have focused much of our efforts into getting the NP technology.  Where do you think you want to focus your efforts in the next 4-12 months?" 

Offline Sheb

• Commodore
« Reply #107 on: July 20, 2016, 03:26:12 AM »
***H-SPAN: Al-Shebi delivers first speech on foreign policy***

My dear colleagues, I would like to talk today about our attitudes to the world.

After the Peacekeer Crisis, many supported a more isolationist course. Intervention had brought us close to nuclear anihilation, and the tentation to retreat behind our borders was great.

It is however becoming incredibly clear that this decision was a mistake. Our previous ally, the FSA, who might have overlooked the foolishness of the Point-Rouge administration didn't forgive the break-up of previous treaty by the administration of Punto Rosso. Instead of exploring and settling new worlds hand-in-hand, we are risking confrontation.

Space is big and unforgiving. Humanity cannot afford to be divided. If I need a spare part for a re-oxygenator in Mars City, will I turn to the FSA Space Station a hundred mile away, or to Washington a hundred milion miles away?

Our settlers, our traders, our scientists all need deeper cooperation with the other major power. I hereby move a resolution that Congress formally apologize for the Peacekeeper Crisis and the following break-up of treaties, and start working on re-establishing our previous relations with the FSA.

Offline Drgong (OP)

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #108 on: July 21, 2016, 01:10:03 PM »
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BxCKBNvHWJfaMkZmOFNYaVRYSUE

May 1st is FSA day.

Ringing out from out deep void,

From our deep seas  breaking round;

Over everlasting mountains

Where the echoing crags resound;

From our plains where creaking wagons

Cut their trails into the earth

Calls the spirit of our Country,

Of the land that gave us birth.

At thy call we shall not falter,

Firm and steadfast we shall stand.

At thy will to live or perish,

O Free State, dear land
Check out or Join my Community Game
http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?board=235.0
Also check out my stories, including Interactive tales.
http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?board=239.0

Offline Drgong (OP)

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #109 on: July 21, 2016, 01:30:21 PM »
Adele Van Resburg at a FSA day celebration helped launch the third ship of the FSA void Navy, the VSS Magnus Malan.  The young PM was all smiles, recent polls indicate that the National Front had been gaining support as the FSA continues to expand.

"Today is a great day for the Free State Alliance, we have launched our third Patrol vessel, the Magnus Malan, this has been carried out by the unity of the FSA.  Our Scientists, our Unions, our financial sector, our militaries all worked together not only to build the first patrol vessel from earth, but now we have launched our third one while other nations have not even launched their first one. We will continue to build more patrol ships, we plan to build at least 12 of these, some with a modified sensor array.  In addition, today I will annouce that the FSA will propose the orderly claiming of small bodies in the solar system for mining at the UN. 

We have always stated one hand with a book, the other with a rifle.  We stand here today, and launch yet another rifle in the Name of the Free State."

The ship is clocks in at 1,600 Tons and expected to join the VSS Hannibal in training. 

Offline DaMachinator

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #110 on: July 21, 2016, 04:35:59 PM »
Quote from: Gaius Julius Machinatus
A recent survey of aerospace engineers suggests that your design needs, and I quote, "moar boosters" and "moar struts" as the top two survey results.
The top 5 survey results:
  • "Needs moar boosters" or equivalent
  • "Needs moar struts" or equivalent
  • "Lacks sufficient armor" or equivalent
  • "I see the FSA has DA BIG GUNZ now." or equivalent
  • "Seems legit, but where's the life support equipment?"
Survey was a free-response question posed to 1000 aerospace engineers. Results were not counted if the engineer giving them looked at all serious.
The maximum speed of any ship or missile with a given engine technology is the speed of a ship composed only of one engine of that technology with the highest power to weight ratio possible with current technology, and nothing else.

The following users thanked this post: Drgong

Offline Sheb

• Commodore
« Reply #111 on: July 22, 2016, 01:49:03 AM »
I would like to congratulate the Russian Confederation in finally joining the FSA, the NAU and several private corporation in managing to send a trans-newtonian ship into space.

The following users thanked this post: DaMachinator

Offline Red Dot

• Registered
  • Commander
  • R
« Reply #112 on: July 22, 2016, 08:15:41 AM »
Meanwhile back in Stockholm in January 2102...

Seeing the intense discussion around the Russian side of the negotiating table, Dr. Powers attempts to attract their attention. "Mrs Vorontsov, Mrs Bulgakov, a moment of your time if you please.  I am wondering if an intermediate step to the NP Technology would not assuage your mind that the NAU sees this trade as purely a business transaction. We would like to offer the precursor technology to the NP, the so-called Pebble Reactor, in exchange for your IR laser and the Fuel Economy Technology. Hopefully, this intermediate will establish my credentials and help with further discussions."

Offline AL

• Captain
  • A
« Reply #113 on: July 22, 2016, 06:22:37 PM »
Another intense discussion ensues before Romanova turns to address Dr Powers again.
"We were under the impression that the background for any preceding technologies would be included in the Nuclear Pulse technology package as a bare necessity of allowing our scientists to decipher your findings. {{OOC: pretty sure transferring a technology automatically unlocks all previous techs for the receiving nation, a limitation of Aurora}} If this were not the case, then we definitely would not have the technologies available to trade for Nuclear Pulse and all its preceding research. As we have no interest in having our future research dictated by your nominated areas of interest, I feel it would be best to call an end to this series of negotiations. Perhaps in the future when our research has had time to diversify more we could consider conducting further trade negotiations, but at present we simply do not have enough to trade fairly with you."

Offline Red Dot

• Registered
  • Commander
  • R
« Reply #114 on: July 22, 2016, 09:13:08 PM »
Powers looks up quite annoyed: "I believed you were more aware than these negotiations are showing."

"Perhaps you need to know that the FSA gave us all of the Meson knowledge that led to the Peacekeeper Incident. They gave us the Beam Fire Control and many other Techs while we gave them the precursor techs to get them to the NP tech. Meanwhile you are lingering with fighter sized units. BRAVO. I agree maybe in in few centuries you guys will have something we might want."

"Next time,call me on PM or I will not show up."  Powers folds up his documents and leaves for the airport.

Offline DaMachinator

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #115 on: July 22, 2016, 09:46:32 PM »
New Russian administrator Gaius Julius Machinatus gave a speech on the fragile state of the peace in this era of rapid technological development:

Mutually assured destruction. The reason why nominally allied nations kept fortified underground silos capable of raining death and destruction on the other without hope of stopping it. 
The newly discovered transnewtonian minerals have apparently limitless potential for both creation and destruction. Thus the power balance is ever more fragile and each nation hopes they will be the one to first guarantee their own population safety and be able to destroy the other's without hope of survival. Thus the biggest deterrent to bathing one's opponents in nuclear fire is the uncertainty. Can we really launch a first strike with impunity? And are we actually capable of completely circumventing their defenses? It is this uncertainty that holds the peace together, as the consequences of guessing wrong are terrifying. Pax vobiscum.
The maximum speed of any ship or missile with a given engine technology is the speed of a ship composed only of one engine of that technology with the highest power to weight ratio possible with current technology, and nothing else.

Offline Drgong (OP)

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #116 on: July 22, 2016, 10:26:03 PM »
FSA offers ships for Sale/Lease

The FSA has announced that it is offering though the  Bureau of Ships and Services(BOSS) the sale and leasing of ships and other weapon systems produced by FSA firms.  BOSS does not actually build the ships, but is a central state owned office to help market FSA Ships and services.

BOSS sales catalog, shown at the Paris Air and Space show, includes the following.

VSS Tanzania (FSSA):  First ship to explore Saturn, now deemed surplus to the requirements of the FSA.
Scipio Africanus/BIS (Denel Dynamics): , A export approved version of the patrol craft currently used by the FSA.   
SH-01 Avaid Shuttle (Qods): a small <500 ton shuttle to move personnel around.  Three versions depending on your range/speed needs.   
GEO-01 Rhodes (Qods): a small <500 ton Geological surveyor
BOSS overhaul service: Need a ship serviced?  Boss can arrange a overhaul. 

« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 10:27:52 PM by Drgong »

Offline Sheb

• Commodore
« Reply #117 on: July 23, 2016, 07:10:43 AM »
The NAU would be potentially interested in a couple of Rhodes and potentially a Avaid, depending on its specs. What would the prices be like?

Offline Drgong (OP)

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #118 on: July 23, 2016, 10:07:44 AM »
The NAU would be potentially interested in a couple of Rhodes and potentially a Avaid, depending on its specs. What would the prices be like?

I will send you a price list and spec sheet later today  8)

Offline Drgong (OP)

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #119 on: July 23, 2016, 10:58:23 AM »

BOSS sales information.

Both Avid and Rhodes are fighters for maintenance

Avid Specs
Standard - 2700+ km/s top speed, 70 billion mile range.
FastAvid - 3700+ km/s top speed, 50 billion mile range.
SolAvid - 4000+ km/s top speed, 20 billion mile range

Rhodes
1300 Km/s top speed, 21 billion mile range.

Prices are negotiated per order, but Avids are rather inexpensive while the Rhodes are more expensive due to complexity.   

As a note, Quods is adding capacity (Plans are to triple current capacity in the next year), so delivery dates are moving targets as Quods gains fighter factories.      Once expansion is complete, a Rhodes would take about a year to build, while 3-4 Avids could be built in the same time-frame.