Author Topic: Bug Tracking : a suggestion  (Read 3494 times)

Offline Herode (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
Bug Tracking : a suggestion
« on: August 06, 2011, 01:14:21 PM »
Steve's posts here http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php/topic,3348.msg37601.html#msg37601 reminds me a pending question I had. Did you consider the option of using bug tracking scripts ? I think even on small projects like Aurora (by small I just mean : not having a large dev team ;) ), those scripts can be very useful. And the good ones are also easy to set up. I has two main bug tackers in mind :

I didn't work with Bugzilla but it is well famed, as long as I can see on the web. Mantis I use (seldom of course, for my code is almost bug free  ;D), & it's a fine &simple tool.

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Re: Bug Tracking : a suggestion
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2011, 01:28:28 PM »
Steve's posts here http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php/topic,3348.msg37601.html#msg37601 reminds me a pending question I had. Did you consider the option of using bug tracking scripts ? I think even on small projects like Aurora (by small I just mean : not having a large dev team ;) ), those scripts can be very useful. And the good ones are also easy to set up. I has two main bug tackers in mind :

I didn't work with Bugzilla but it is well famed, as long as I can see on the web. Mantis I use (seldom of course, for my code is almost bug free  ;D), & it's a fine &simple tool.

On the former board we had one, but Steve declined to use it. If Steve wanted one, I'd be willing to integrate one into the boards here.

Offline ndkid

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • n
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2011, 08:56:59 AM »
On the former board we had one, but Steve declined to use it. If Steve wanted one, I'd be willing to integrate one into the boards here.

The problem is more one of management, I think... already in the 5.51 bugs thread we have dupes, me-too posts, etc. I doubt Steve wants to deal with the overhead of managing closing dupes and such.

Having said that, if he ever wanted a bug tracking system that someone else pretty much played triage on, I'd probably be willing to take on the triage role. As I was looking at the 5.51 bugs thread, I found myself wanting to make a post to encapsulate each of the unique bug reports in one place.

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2011, 07:46:14 PM »
Steve has said that 'me too' posts are helpful, because it lets him know the extant of the problem.  I remember one bug that was tracked back to the Start in Sol system/Start in Custom System choice.

Offline ardem

• Rear Admiral
  • a
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2011, 01:06:33 AM »
Making it easier for perhaps steve and people to note if the bug have been noted, correct would be a simple wiki.

I have used bugzilla before unless your a team working on a project its not great for community led bug tracking for once person.

I thought if I had time was to make two wiki's one for bug tracking and one for suggestions, but continue t use posts, just organise the bugs into a structured ability to view different areas quickly. But not had the time to implement this thought process.

It could possibly make it easier for both community and Steve to see where things are at.

Offline Thibaut

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • T
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2011, 04:20:06 AM »
did you have a look at the freely accessible bugtracking solutions available ?

like code. google. com, or others (github ?) those two are pretty simple to use from my experience.

But of course, this has no sens if Steve does not want to use an issue tracker