Author Topic: Adding more ship names  (Read 3801 times)

Offline MarcAFK (OP)

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
Adding more ship names
« on: October 04, 2015, 08:54:30 PM »
I'm going to post this here because I suppose it's related to installing.
I've been building custom name files for ships, I'll post them here for anyone who's interested, also as a reference for anyone who's having trouble installing new names, or even new users who don't even know this function exists.

New ship name lists are added in the following way, create a file called "ShipNames.txt" in the Aurora installation folder, then in that file each line will be the name of a ship in the class you will define, ensure there are no blank lines or you'll get an error.
Under the main Aurora menu under 'game' select 'add ship names', Type out the name you want this ship theme to show up as.
The window will lag for a few seconds, then to use the new names select the 'DAC/Rank/info' option under class design, then under 'name type' theres a list of all the ship name themes installed, whatever you select will be used for new ships of that class, going down the list in order. 
After 3 years playing Aurora I've only just discovered this myself :p

Lists I've created so far.
Hydrocarbons : 60 Names for tankers
Heavy Metal : 52 Metal Bands mostly from the 70's, Alphabetical order and 2 of each letter; Freighters or Warships
Culture : Ships from Ian M Banks culture series.
Scifi Authors : Mostly Hugo and Nebula award winners.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 07:00:12 PM by MarcAFK »
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline TheDeadlyShoe

• Vice Admiral
  • Dance Commander
Re: Adding more ship names
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2015, 04:21:47 PM »

Offline MarcAFK (OP)

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
Re: Adding more ship names
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2015, 05:52:10 PM »
I forgot about those, should have dug a little deeper.
Just in case anyone finds this while searching the forum, I've added a few extra lists.
Nobel Physics: Chronological list of winners of the Nobel prize for physics.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 07:01:34 PM by MarcAFK »
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "