Author Topic: C# Aurora Changes Discussion  (Read 441725 times)

Offline 83athom

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
Re: C# Aurora Changes Discussion
« Reply #525 on: March 02, 2017, 03:17:42 PM »
Precursors currently fill the role of pirates. It would be tricky to set up the economics necessary for believable pirates, but I could add other races that function with a 'raiding' mentality.
Maybe even a system of them rebuilding wrecks, adding some of their own parts of course.
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Offline albertismo

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • a
« Reply #526 on: March 03, 2017, 04:57:31 AM »
just out of curiosity, in c# you could use graphic libraries as opengl or other 2d? I do not mean to add 3d to Aurora, but maybe one day you can decide to add to map more 2d effect

Offline Zerox

• Able Ordinary Rate
« Reply #527 on: March 03, 2017, 09:34:29 AM »
I'm loving the screenshots and changes added so far- amazing to see the game moving into a much more manageable language.  I'm most excited for the performance improvements, but is there any chance there will be changes to how ECM/EW works? It's always struck me as a part of the game that could use more expansion.

Waiting anxiously for release, but please, take your time, Steve, that's your style and it's worked this far!

Offline Beersatron

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #528 on: March 03, 2017, 10:12:33 AM »
Maybe the chance for precursor shipyards that slowly produce precursor ships?

Ideally, though I know it would be a big change/not fit how the game currently handles things, it would be a chance that a system that generates with precursors automatically generates a jump point connection to a system that then spawns a shipyard, so you could go in and clear out the precursors but a year or two later have more show up if you didn't keep surveying. It would also encourage spreading your fleet around instead of keeping it in one big blob.

What about adding in some automated mines and/or stockpiles of "long forgotten minerals" in the shipyard system along with mass drivers, in the same way that there are stockpiles of missiles. They wouldn't get activated until a player or NPR woke them up? That way the shipyard would only produce what it had the actual resources to produce - keeping it from being overpowered. Maybe throw in salvagers too?

The bigger the shipyard, the greater the chance of a larger number of claimable structures on the planet once it is cleared out.

Are Precursors reusing the same code as an NPR - just pared down?

Offline Bremen

• Commodore
  • B
« Reply #529 on: March 03, 2017, 01:39:16 PM »
What about adding in some automated mines and/or stockpiles of "long forgotten minerals" in the shipyard system along with mass drivers, in the same way that there are stockpiles of missiles. They wouldn't get activated until a player or NPR woke them up? That way the shipyard would only produce what it had the actual resources to produce - keeping it from being overpowered. Maybe throw in salvagers too?

The bigger the shipyard, the greater the chance of a larger number of claimable structures on the planet once it is cleared out.

I'd been thinking some sort of mineral stockpile, but now that you mention it maybe asteroid miner modules? The Spaceyard could be an immobile base over an asteroid (though I suppose the asteroid would need special generation to have all the minerals). That's consistent with the mainly space based nature of precursors, and provides interesting possible rewards (blow it up and salvage it, or try to board it with marines and gain an immobile asteroid miner).

I always feel bad about making extravagant suggestions in the C# changes discussion thread since I don't want to make the conversion even harder, though.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #530 on: March 04, 2017, 04:24:56 AM »
I'm loving the screenshots and changes added so far- amazing to see the game moving into a much more manageable language.  I'm most excited for the performance improvements, but is there any chance there will be changes to how ECM/EW works? It's always struck me as a part of the game that could use more expansion.

Waiting anxiously for release, but please, take your time, Steve, that's your style and it's worked this far!

I do intend to overhaul electronic warfare at some point and I may do that for the first C# release.

Taking time at the moment as I have been moving house :). Haven't really done any work during the last month but now I am starting with the Commanders window.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #531 on: March 04, 2017, 04:29:58 AM »

That sounds like a good idea. An automated but dormant shipyard that will start to build ships if intruders are detected (and if it has the resources). And the salvagers sound like a good idea too. In fact, the players should probably be able to capture the shipyard somehow - maybe I make it an expensive shipboard module so they can capture the whole complex. If we take that a little further, that could lead to deep space shipyards (as the automated SY module would use resources in the cargo holds of the mounting ship).

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #532 on: March 04, 2017, 04:30:54 AM »
I'd been thinking some sort of mineral stockpile, but now that you mention it maybe asteroid miner modules? The Spaceyard could be an immobile base over an asteroid (though I suppose the asteroid would need special generation to have all the minerals). That's consistent with the mainly space based nature of precursors, and provides interesting possible rewards (blow it up and salvage it, or try to board it with marines and gain an immobile asteroid miner).

I always feel bad about making extravagant suggestions in the C# changes discussion thread since I don't want to make the conversion even harder, though.

I didn't read this before I replied to the previous message :)

Offline mrwigggles

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #533 on: March 04, 2017, 05:35:31 AM »
Speaking of being wary of expanding the Economy.
I would love Civilians to be more autonomous, just more lively. ANd C# seems to afford that ability to manage those extra misc. ships, and habs.

I love for them to build space stations and habs on asteroids. I would love pops. to be resource sinks for TN  elements. Something like 1000 pop for every 1 TN element sunk. Representing domestic markets and industry making products with them. And maybe having a sub race for every faction being their civilian force, getting quarter of the current spent RP points for their tech levels to as a rough guide for the slow transition of mundane from the cutting edge. It would need one more resource called luxury or something that every planet/hab produces and requires to a ratio of their pop but they dont consume their luxury resource produce.  And having habs/colonies with cilvilian pops deprived of the required TN elements, or luxary would be tied to their moral.

Offline Zincat

• Captain
  • Z
« Reply #534 on: March 04, 2017, 06:04:29 AM »
Speaking of being wary of expanding the Economy.
I would love Civilians to be more autonomous, just more lively. ANd C# seems to afford that ability to manage those extra misc. ships, and habs.

I love for them to build space stations and habs on asteroids. I would love pops. to be resource sinks for TN  elements. Something like 1000 pop for every 1 TN element sunk. Representing domestic markets and industry making products with them. And maybe having a sub race for every faction being their civilian force, getting quarter of the current spent RP points for their tech levels to as a rough guide for the slow transition of mundane from the cutting edge. It would need one more resource called luxury or something that every planet/hab produces and requires to a ratio of their pop but they dont consume their luxury resource produce.  And having habs/colonies with cilvilian pops deprived of the required TN elements, or luxary would be tied to their moral.

I hate civilians. I would hate to be forced to bombard my own colonies until they are a slag wasteland...

Seriously, in their current iteration they are mostly a complete bother. The only thing I can tolerate somewhat are the shipping lines. And even then, they are stupid beyond belief and go get themselves blown up in places where they should not be. CMC  are instead a blight upon aurora cause I can't reliable prevent them.

Also, a TN sink would be very bad, considering that TN elements are not unlimited.

In case it was not clear, personally I would not welcome these changes  :) Sorry.

Besides they would NOT go along well with my roleplaying nations where civilians in space do not exist. All shall perish under the heel of my empire. The idea that a private citizen can go and make something of his own initiative is unthinkable. Such deviants are burned at the stake.

Online Coleslaw

• I got the Versacis on, stop playin'!
  • Warrant Officer, Class 2
« Reply #535 on: March 04, 2017, 08:08:33 AM »
I was curious as to whether a different form of manpower would come into play in the new Aurora.  As it stands, troops are trained out of just resources and ship crew just appear.  What if training crew and troops took population directly from the planet to train them? As armies get damaged and if they don't have Reserve battalions on the same body, you can transport them back to a planet with population, a ground training facility, and a few resources (If the unit lost half of its Readiness, it would cost half the unit's resource cost to regain it, for example. )

Offline lennson

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • l
« Reply #536 on: March 04, 2017, 10:40:07 AM »
Regarding civilians it would be nice to have an option to turn on or off the various things civilians can do (civilian mining, civilian shipping, etc) since they may or may not fit certain empire styles.

Offline Zincat

• Captain
  • Z
« Reply #537 on: March 04, 2017, 01:26:00 PM »
Regarding civilians it would be nice to have an option to turn on or off the various things civilians can do (civilian mining, civilian shipping, etc) since they may or may not fit certain empire styles.

That would be nice. I would have zero problems with civilians if they could be turned off, either entirely or selectively. It is being forced to play with them no matter what that is rather bad in my opinion.

I realise my previous post may have been worded too strongly. I just really dislike them as they are now, since there is no choice.

It would be even better if they could be turned off IN THE GAME, as a conscious choice while playing. Like you can "choose policies" in some other 4x games. That way one could roleplay a government that allows or disallows civilians. And, roleplay a possible change in governemnt and/or policies during the game as events unfolds.

For example, a governemnt that allows civilians enterprises at the beginning. Until a NPR race is discovered, which could lead to the nationalization of all space endeavours.

Offline Haji

• Captain
« Reply #538 on: March 05, 2017, 06:09:48 AM »
As it stands, troops are trained out of just resources and ship crew just appear.  What if training crew and troops took population directly from the planet to train them?

You're kind of right about troops (although it takes over a year to make a battalion, which I assumed was spent more on training than production) but if I remember correctly ship crews come fro military academies. If you go to the economy>teams/academy you'll see the number of crewmen and junior officers in top right corner. You can still build ships if you don't have crews but you'll suffer grade bonus penalties. On the other hand if you have a lot of crewman you'll be able to get 'the cream of the crop' into the ships getting large grade bonuses (up to 30% or so).

Please note that all this description comes from my observation of the mechanics, not any 'hard' knowledge so this may all be wrong.

Online Coleslaw

• I got the Versacis on, stop playin'!
  • Warrant Officer, Class 2
« Reply #539 on: March 05, 2017, 08:28:46 AM »
Quote from: Haji link=topic=8497. msg101550#msg101550 date=1488715788
You're kind of right about troops (although it takes over a year to make a battalion, which I assumed was spent more on training than production) but if I remember correctly ship crews come fro military academies.  If you go to the economy>teams/academy you'll see the number of crewmen and junior officers in top right corner.

I should rephrase then: As it stands, troops are trained out of just resources and time and ship crew just start appearing once you have an academy. 

Also, what if you could immediately deploy a ground force that's still in training, albeit at a large experience decrease depending on how far along the unit was in training.  There'd be a minimum time required in training for basic familiarization and equipment production, but after that minimum, they can be deployed.