Author Topic: Industrial Production  (Read 1270 times)

Offline Charlie Beeler (OP)

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
Industrial Production
« on: June 24, 2008, 12:51:22 PM »
The ability to have multiple projects underway at the same time by the same factory type (construction, fighter, ordanance).  

Ideally, though undoubtably unrealistic with the programming architecture, is a fundimental change to factories and project assignments.  Assign the project (fighter A), by shown that XX factories are available for the project, assign X factories to project, by queried if this is an openned ended or limited run project, if limited set limit.  Have the ability to modify how many factories are assigned to existing projects, pause projects(possibly making the factories available for other projects), cancel, etc.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Charlie Beeler »
Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics - paraphrase attributed to Gen Omar Bradley

Offline SteveAlt

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
Re: Industrial Production
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2008, 01:05:41 PM »
Quote from: "Charlie Beeler"
The ability to have multiple projects underway at the same time by the same factory type (construction, fighter, ordanance).  
This would be quite a lot of work and I am not sure you would gain that much. You already have three different factory types and within each type you can create a queue, pause one or more tasks and re-order the queue to change priorities. Sequential, rather than concurrent, construction, will still deliver everything in the same timescale and you will get some things more quickly.

Ideally, though undoubtably unrealistic with the programming architecture, is a fundimental change to factories and project assignments.  Assign the project (fighter A), by shown that XX factories are available for the project, assign X factories to project, by queried if this is an openned ended or limited run project, if limited set limit.  Have the ability to modify how many factories are assigned to existing projects, pause projects(possibly making the factories available for other projects), cancel, etc.

I raised something similar to this a while ago where factories worked like shipyards, in that you had to retool factories to work on set projects. It didn't get a great reception :)

Steve
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by SteveAlt »

Offline Charlie Beeler (OP)

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2008, 03:16:18 PM »
Ya, I figured the level of effect required would exceed the level of gain.   :wink:

From the realism perspective, I understood the retooling angle.  From a personal playability level I wasn't receptive too the idea where expendables are concerned(missiles and fighters).  I like that the shipyards have to retool between classes as well as not being able to just assign more yard space to accelerate completion the way I would is Starfire.  

Part of the drive for this is the way I've been queing my fighters and missiles.  moderately large batches creating feast or famine for various types.  The short term answer is to create several small batch builds to get the various types in the supply line in a more timely manor.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Charlie Beeler »
Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics - paraphrase attributed to Gen Omar Bradley