Author Topic: Quasar4x - An Aurora4x VB6 clone  (Read 163362 times)

Offline Kyle (OP)

• Captain
  • K
  • Quasar4x dev
Re: Quasar4x - An early look at an Aurora4x clone in the works
« Reply #60 on: May 21, 2019, 09:48:25 AM »
Progress update 2019-05-21:

Turret design window done!

Off-Topic: show

As with Create Research Project above, the database updates made after pressing Create match the database updates that A4X does.

Next is Missile Design.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2019, 04:39:10 PM by Kyle »

The following users thanked this post: JacenHan, Noble713, JustAnotherDude

Offline xenoscepter

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #61 on: May 21, 2019, 09:24:15 PM »
Will this be a clone in the sense that it is exactly like Aurora 4X is in the v.7.1 or will this be a clone in the resto-mod sense, like a '67 Chevy Bel Air "restored" with modern amenities and a "better" engine.

Not trying to be mean, but not sure if it sounds like it so I though I'd say so up front. I'm genuinely curious.

Offline amram

• Lieutenant
  • a
« Reply #62 on: May 22, 2019, 02:16:32 AM »
I'm hoping to create a replica of Aurora4x that functionally behaves identically to the original version, as deterministically as possible. I've made progress since my initial post and would like to share some screenshots now, as well as a bit of info about my project.

and:

Q. Why are you so dead set on making an exact replica with 0 enhancements?
A. I like Aurora4x pretty much exactly the way it is.  I don't think there's a thing I want to change. I think a lot of people are probably 95% happy with the existing game as well, and I doubt nearly that many would agree on a particular change, or that the change would actually be that good. Statistically, most ideas turn out to be bad. Also, adding embellishments can lead to ever increasing project time as the developer gets lost in the weeds.  An "exact replica" is a concise, finite, self explanatory, and reachable goal.

Q. So, an Aurora4x clone.  Are you really not going to add anything more?
A. I do have a few pie-in-the-sky dreams of adding multiplayer and adding ever increasing depth to the AI.  I've always kind of wanted to make a game with computer components that seem human-like -- not in the species they are in game, but in how they play the game, as if another human were controlling their empire.  But for now, those are all just maybes.  I'm willing to bet by the time Quasar4x is completed I'll want a good long break.

My understanding is, its resto-mod sense, with a very heaving leaning towards all original parts.  Fixes where things need fixing, and not a whole lot more than that.  He also mentions having some wishes he'd like to see, but first and foremost, it sounds like patched 7.1, without the slowdown.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #63 on: May 22, 2019, 06:06:54 AM »
I see you are making really good progress through the UI and surface-level functions.

Have you tacked the sequence of play yet? Movement, detection, combat, system generation, etc.?

I can share a list of the high level steps if that helps.

The following users thanked this post: Demonides, bro918, tws029, punchkid

Offline Kyle (OP)

• Captain
  • K
  • Quasar4x dev
« Reply #64 on: May 22, 2019, 04:06:15 PM »
I'm hoping to create a replica of Aurora4x that functionally behaves identically to the original version, as deterministically as possible. I've made progress since my initial post and would like to share some screenshots now, as well as a bit of info about my project.

and:

Q. Why are you so dead set on making an exact replica with 0 enhancements?
A. I like Aurora4x pretty much exactly the way it is.  I don't think there's a thing I want to change. I think a lot of people are probably 95% happy with the existing game as well, and I doubt nearly that many would agree on a particular change, or that the change would actually be that good. Statistically, most ideas turn out to be bad. Also, adding embellishments can lead to ever increasing project time as the developer gets lost in the weeds.  An "exact replica" is a concise, finite, self explanatory, and reachable goal.

Q. So, an Aurora4x clone.  Are you really not going to add anything more?
A. I do have a few pie-in-the-sky dreams of adding multiplayer and adding ever increasing depth to the AI.  I've always kind of wanted to make a game with computer components that seem human-like -- not in the species they are in game, but in how they play the game, as if another human were controlling their empire.  But for now, those are all just maybes.  I'm willing to bet by the time Quasar4x is completed I'll want a good long break.

My understanding is, its resto-mod sense, with a very heaving leaning towards all original parts.  Fixes where things need fixing, and not a whole lot more than that.  He also mentions having some wishes he'd like to see, but first and foremost, it sounds like patched 7.1, without the slowdown.

Yep, that's 100% correct!

Offline Kyle (OP)

• Captain
  • K
  • Quasar4x dev
« Reply #65 on: May 22, 2019, 04:12:39 PM »
I see you are making really good progress through the UI and surface-level functions.

Have you tacked the sequence of play yet? Movement, detection, combat, system generation, etc.?

I do have a game loop that does little more than do orbits, grow population, and grow wealth.  So basically no  ;D  I'm getting closer and closer to being ready for that though.  Just a few more windows to go.

I would LOVE to have a list of the high level steps, the more detailed the better!  Feel free to create a new thread with any info you want to lend me, or PM me, whichever works for you!

Offline Kyle (OP)

• Captain
  • K
  • Quasar4x dev
« Reply #66 on: May 22, 2019, 04:16:52 PM »
Progress update 2019-05-22:

Missile design is done!

(Excuse the glitches from the encoder, can't be bothered to redo it)

Everything on the window is fully functional and stores correctly in the database.  Laser warheads, enhanced radiation, secondary stages, you name it.  Latest build pushed to Itch.  Onward!
« Last Edit: May 29, 2019, 04:39:34 PM by Kyle »

The following users thanked this post: JacenHan, punchkid, DEEPenergy

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #67 on: May 23, 2019, 12:17:34 PM »

I do have a game loop that does little more than do orbits, grow population, and grow wealth.  So basically no  ;D  I'm getting closer and closer to being ready for that though.  Just a few more windows to go.

I would LOVE to have a list of the high level steps, the more detailed the better!  Feel free to create a new thread with any info you want to lend me, or PM me, whichever works for you!

Here is a general overview of the sequence of play. It isn't exhaustive and many of the items will have sub-sections. Movement is huge for example because so many things can happen. However, it gives you an idea of what to work through.

Check if the increment needs to be shorter than selected due to combat or missile interception
Create Fleet Training Moves
Generate NPR Movement Orders
Check Conditional Orders
Movement Phase (Ships, Missiles, Mass Driver Packets) - this is quite substantial as there are about a hundred different movement order types. Also, need to handle missile interception, final point defence, damage, etc.
Detection Phase - check all sensor types vs all objects that can be detected.
Check Default Orders
Damage Control
Shield Recharge
AI Combat Assignments
Combat Phase -  ship to ship, vs population, shipyards, ground units, etc., plus damage resolution.
Boarding Combat
Star Swarm and Invader Activities

Every 5 days (ish) you have the construction phase

Population Growth
Check Available Workers
Orbital Movement and Comet Motion
Check Lifepods
Update Wealth
Update Trade
Ship Maintenance
Ground Unit Maintenance
Disaster Updates
Mining (including civilians)
Fuel Harvesters
Fuel Refineries
Terraforming
NPR Pop AI
Upgrade Shipyards
Shipyard Tasks
Ground Unit Training
Genetic Modification
Construction Factory Production (includes PDCs, space stations, ship components, etc.)
Ordnance Production
Fighter Production
Research Projects
Missile Geo Survey
Civilian Activity (shipping line builds, mining colony creation, etc.)
Mass Drivers
Ruin Recovery
Reduce Radiation and Dust
Readiness Recovery
Combat Load Fatigue
Crew Morale
Ground Combat
Communication and Diplomacy updates
Commander Health
Commander Experience
Commander Assignments
Check Fuel
Reduce Danger Ratings
NPR Colony Creation
Industrial Reactivation
Delete Old Points of Interest
Wormhole Moves

Another large area is system generation, which is not really part of the sequence of play. Here is a link to the rules I used.
http://sol.trisen.com/downloads/wg.pdf

The following users thanked this post: Demonides, tws029, Kyle

Offline Cyborg29

• Leading Rate
« Reply #68 on: May 24, 2019, 04:36:02 AM »
If possible, i would like to ask a feature to be included: mouse map dragging for system and galactic view.

In either case, awesome work so far!  ;D

Offline joansam

• Petty Officer
  • j
« Reply #69 on: May 24, 2019, 01:58:38 PM »
Looks phenomenal! Nothing wrong with a faster Aurora.   

How long do you think it's taken you to get this far, and what percent do you think you've completed at this point? It's extremely impressive.

I've started working on an Aurora-inspired Unity game (multiplayer, simplified commercial side of things, slightly improved graphics) but am kinda reluctant to really get into it due to the time involved.   
« Last Edit: May 24, 2019, 02:01:25 PM by joansam »

Offline JustAnotherDude

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • J
« Reply #70 on: May 24, 2019, 03:01:42 PM »
I, for one, would surrender my firstborn child for a MMO style strategy game in shouting range of Aurora.

Offline Kyle (OP)

• Captain
  • K
  • Quasar4x dev
« Reply #71 on: May 29, 2019, 04:36:12 PM »

Here is a general overview of the sequence of play. It isn't exhaustive and many of the items will have sub-sections. Movement is huge for example because so many things can happen. However, it gives you an idea of what to work through.

Check if the increment needs to be shorter than selected due to combat or missile interception
Create Fleet Training Moves
Generate NPR Movement Orders
Check Conditional Orders
Movement Phase (Ships, Missiles, Mass Driver Packets) - this is quite substantial as there are about a hundred different movement order types. Also, need to handle missile interception, final point defence, damage, etc.
Detection Phase - check all sensor types vs all objects that can be detected.
Check Default Orders
Damage Control
Shield Recharge
AI Combat Assignments
Combat Phase -  ship to ship, vs population, shipyards, ground units, etc., plus damage resolution.
Boarding Combat
Star Swarm and Invader Activities

Every 5 days (ish) you have the construction phase

Population Growth
Check Available Workers
Orbital Movement and Comet Motion
Check Lifepods
Update Wealth
Update Trade
Ship Maintenance
Ground Unit Maintenance
Disaster Updates
Mining (including civilians)
Fuel Harvesters
Fuel Refineries
Terraforming
NPR Pop AI
Upgrade Shipyards
Shipyard Tasks
Ground Unit Training
Genetic Modification
Construction Factory Production (includes PDCs, space stations, ship components, etc.)
Ordnance Production
Fighter Production
Research Projects
Missile Geo Survey
Civilian Activity (shipping line builds, mining colony creation, etc.)
Mass Drivers
Ruin Recovery
Reduce Radiation and Dust
Readiness Recovery
Combat Load Fatigue
Crew Morale
Ground Combat
Communication and Diplomacy updates
Commander Health
Commander Experience
Commander Assignments
Check Fuel
Reduce Danger Ratings
NPR Colony Creation
Industrial Reactivation
Delete Old Points of Interest
Wormhole Moves

Another large area is system generation, which is not really part of the sequence of play. Here is a link to the rules I used.
http://sol.trisen.com/downloads/wg.pdf

This should be REALLY helpful!  When I advance time, it will hopefully help me to sort the massive jumble of database updates into the order they belong!

Now if you were to paste a list of all lines of code containing "Rnd" it'd be a dream come true ;)

The following users thanked this post: joansam

Offline Kyle (OP)

• Captain
  • K
  • Quasar4x dev
« Reply #72 on: May 29, 2019, 05:14:15 PM »
Progress update 2019-05-29

Ships window is DONE!

This was a huge amount of changes.  I decided to implement the Apply Damage button as fully as I could, so in addition to the UI being functional in the window, ship damage and destruction is now in place. 

The following damage and destruction mechanics are in place:
- shield absoprtion
- the 3 familiar cone-shaped armor damage templates
- very high damage scales only the penatration of the cone, not the width
- shock damage from heavy hits
- components can be destroyed (or survive
- destroyed components kill crew
- ships that are slowed due to damaged components are split into their own fleet
- a destroyed bridge can kill the commander
- a destroyed engine or power plant can trigger a secondary explosion
- a destroyed magazine can trigger a secondary explosion if there is excess ordnance that failed to eject
- destroyed ships create lifepods with remaining crew
- commanders have a chance to escape into the lifepod
- destroyed ships wrecks containing minerals, components, and tech

Mechanics match A4X as closely as possible, with possible deviation in the RNG.  All events are logged.  I completed just enough of the Events Window so that the damage logging can be seen.

I completed the Ships Requiring Repair window as well.  Here is a jumbled list of what was implemented in the Ships window: 
Limit list by 'no fighters' or 'military only'; sort by size, alpha, or hull; show commander and relevant bonuses; show basic information, power info, maintenance info; assign population; dynamic ship design display showing the effects of damaged components on the ships stats; range bands and target speeds on ship design display; class design display; combat settings: select point defense mode for selected fire control; set max pd range; assign eccms to fire controls; toggle auto fire, sync fire; raise/lower shields; activate/disable active sensors; assign weapons to fire control (single, group, or clear all); combat summary; transfer ordance between ships and/or pops; assign missiles to launchers (single, group, or clear); armor status; list DAC; show damaged systems; begin DC; add DC to queue; abort dc; re-order DC queue; remove from dc queue; abandon ship destroys ship and leaves lifepod with commander and crew; the Apply damage button; Delete all cargo; Misc tab: transfer fuel or maint supplies between ships or pops; set maint priority; toggle transponder; transfer ship to Alien empire, with or without commander; show military/commercial tonnage destroyed; toggle release of tech data; save changes to notes. Buttons on bottom: rename ship, select name from theme, delete ship, destroy ship, pick name of ship from class theme; zoom to ship's fleet on galmap; add custom history to ship; toggle all active sensors off; SM Repair All; SM Refuel All; Auto FC.

Transfer ship to Alien empire is an interesting highlight; this is a pretty hefty bit of code in place that can be adapted for ship capture later on. 
Another nice mention is the Auto FC button; the code for this should be reusable for AI later on.

Intentional deviations from A4X mechanics:  Auto FC I think may be a bit better than A4X's version; Added population dropdowns to the Misc tab, to remove ambiguity of multiple pops of different species stacking in the same location; Added the Apply Damage control to the Ship Design Display and Armor Status tabs, might remove them later; And reworked Ship Design Display to match Class Design Display much more closely. 

Finally, there are a few sections such as parasites that I am saving for later.  Screenshots of all the tabs are in the offtopic bar above.  Latest build pushed to itch. 

I'm very close to the end of this UI phase.  I have the rest of the Events Window to do (filtering, coloring, etc).  And, all of the Task Groups window, which is another beefy one, so it will be another while before my next update.  After that, I can finally shift gears and start a campaign!

The following users thanked this post: Demonides, ExChairman, JacenHan, procdrone

Offline procdrone

• Leading Rate
« Reply #73 on: June 02, 2019, 11:03:08 AM »
You are doing gods work. 

During few discord conversations, we had few arguments, and i have two questions.

1.  Are you going to implement any fixes to known bugs or modifications to the baseline formulae, or is this going to be as close as possible clone ONLY?
2.  Do you have any strategy regarding building an AI? Any ideas?

Cheers!

Offline xenoscepter

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #74 on: June 02, 2019, 03:14:45 PM »
I already asked that, and it would seem his stance is to get it as close as possible to the VB6 Aurora 4X, but in some sort of C.