Author Topic: Orbital Habitat Construction  (Read 2382 times)

Offline Paul M (OP)

• Vice Admiral
  • P
Orbital Habitat Construction
« on: November 14, 2012, 02:25:29 AM »
Before I invest the time in these things I thought I would ask a few questions.  Based on reading Steve's post about them and so other ones I hit with the search I see I can use them to give me population to work things in places I can't otherwise get the population to.  This is what I would like for Venus in my game (see AAR if you are curious).  I would like to build 5xOrbital Habitates + (engines and fuel to make from eath to venus in 3-6 months).  This should allow for some development of the planet.  I understand from reading and looking in game that you build the orbital habitates with planetary industry but what about the overall rest of the "colony"?  Do you design something "Asmiov Class Orbital Colony"  [Oribatal Habx5, Commercial Enginex10, Fuelx50,000, Bridge, Engineering space, crew quarters] and then build the whole thing via planetary industry or does your shipyards come into play somehow?

This is a long way down the road but with 5-6 of them around Venus I would have a good chance to start terraforming and get mines/construction capacity there.

Offline alex_brunius

• Vice Admiral
Re: Orbital Habitat Construction
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2012, 02:55:59 AM »
I always assumed orbital habitats was mostly meant for colonies with gravity outside your range.

Like a Gas Giant where you want a colony as a refueling post but all the moons are to small to provide gravity.

Because with Venus it should be possible to colonize normally with infrastructure, right?

Offline Paul M (OP)

• Vice Admiral
  • P
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2012, 03:16:25 AM »
It is possible to colonize Venus (and I have done so...see AAR) but since 5%*(colony cost) of the people will be used for agriculure/environmental support at no time do you ever get anyone who is useful from the population.  So you always need to use automatic mines, can't have any construction capacity, can't use terraformers etc.  By sticking some Orbital colonies at least you get some population for manufacturing.

It is an expensive and far from ideal solution but long term it is the only option.

Offline alex_brunius

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2012, 04:04:58 AM »
Ah okay. Guess I missed that part since I always use terraformer ships for terraforming and usually don't colonize until cost drops a bit below that :)

Offline Paul M (OP)

• Vice Admiral
  • P
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2012, 05:17:40 AM »
Conventional start with only basic technology and no scientist with biology specialization and only 6 research labs total = does not invest in terraforming module.

Not to mention only a exceptionally limited construction capacity. due to limitations in shipyards (mainly 1 military and 1 civilian)... If earth had had 3000 more neutronium and 6000 more duranium things would have been much easier.

Offline sublight

• Pulsar 4x Dev
  • Captain
  • s
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2012, 07:18:12 AM »
Do you design something "Asmiov Class Orbital Colony"  [Oribatal Habx5, Commercial Enginex10, Fuelx50,000, Bridge, Engineering space, crew quarters] and then build the whole thing via planetary industry?

Yes.

Last I checked you build them out of the same industry tab as used for building PDCs. Just make sure the Orbital Colony is faster than the target planet.

Offline Paul M (OP)

• Vice Admiral
  • P
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2012, 08:50:41 AM »
Thank you.  Likely it will be 50 game years before I can do this but at least I know before I invest the research that it will do what I think it will.

Offline HaliRyan

• Lt. Commander
  • H
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2012, 10:17:00 AM »
Just thought I'd mention that if you're really pressed for minerals but set on building orbital habs, you should consider building them with no engines or fuel and making a single tug to move them. You'll save some minerals in the long run that way. Plus, since they only build one at a time from industry they'll actually get to their destination faster using a tug (assuming you put a few extra engines on the tug compared to what you were going to put on the habs).

Offline Paul M (OP)

• Vice Admiral
  • P
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2012, 12:56:11 PM »
I'll see about the tug option but this is more long term planning then anything I can possibly afford to do in the next well 20 years.  Mainly I didn't want to invest in 5000 RPs that ended up wasted.  The tug would require tractor beam though while the other option doesn't.  But thanks for the suggestion.

Offline Nathan_

• Pulsar 4x Dev
  • Commodore
  • N
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2012, 02:38:03 PM »
Tugs are useful for other reasons as well, eventually you're going to get a ship with a wrecked engine for example, but engines on an orbital are by no means killer, you can always scrap them for parts and rebuild a better orbital later. One other thing: If your orbital isn't fast enough, and orbits are on venus can potentially outrun your orbital, so you'll have to travel against its orbit, and try to place your ship where venus will eventually be. with the 5 day orbit update you can still catch venus this way. I think venus travels at around 30km/s.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 02:40:23 PM by Nathan_ »

Offline Paul M (OP)

• Vice Admiral
  • P
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2012, 01:47:07 AM »
I agree tugs are useful but I have a total of 6 research labs...so I have serious tech research limitations.  Thanks for the advice.  Venus officially is 35 km/s...I was actually thinking of sitting infront of it and waiting for it to catch up...but making them go 40 km/s is a not bad plan.