Author Topic: New Alien Arrival (Spoiler)  (Read 7251 times)

Offline Vanigo

• Lt. Commander
  • V
Re: New Alien Arrival (Spoiler)
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2010, 08:49:41 PM »
Quote from: "Steve Walmsley"
Quote from: "Beersatron"
Now, after saying all that, I think the Invaders are way way way overpowered and a game killer
I think they are overpowered too based on game reports and I will be toning down their numbers :). You can switch them off individually in v5.20. In v5.14 you can only switch them off by turning off precursors.

[spoiler:5qfh4a3r]By far your best your best chance against them is using beam weapons in a jump point defence. Plasma Torps are powerful but relatively slow-firing[/spoiler:5qfh4a3r]

Steve
How are you supposed to use beam weapons against a ship that moves 16000 km/s and has ECM 60? Short of being 30 years into the game when they first show up, I mean. Seriously, the things can get out of range in a single five-second step. I'm starting a new game with a 3 billion starting population now; that way I might have a snowball's chance in Hell. (Or is their tech level based on your starting tech?)
(Oh, and exactly how much damage does it take to pop a plasma torpedo, anyway? Is it a fixed amount?)

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2010, 10:19:38 PM »
Quote from: "Vanigo"
Quote from: "Steve Walmsley"
Quote from: "Beersatron"
Now, after saying all that, I think the Invaders are way way way overpowered and a game killer
I think they are overpowered too based on game reports and I will be toning down their numbers :). You can switch them off individually in v5.20. In v5.14 you can only switch them off by turning off precursors.

[spoiler:3trp7k1f]By far your best your best chance against them is using beam weapons in a jump point defence. Plasma Torps are powerful but relatively slow-firing[/spoiler:3trp7k1f]

Steve
How are you supposed to use beam weapons against a ship that moves 16000 km/s and has ECM 60? Short of being 30 years into the game when they first show up, I mean. Seriously, the things can get out of range in a single five-second step. I'm starting a new game with a 3 billion starting population now; that way I might have a snowball's chance in Hell. (Or is their tech level based on your starting tech?)
(Oh, and exactly how much damage does it take to pop a plasma torpedo, anyway? Is it a fixed amount?)

4,000km/s tracking speed. Turret with a 16k speed, and 4x size for speed fire control. ECM will be a bitch though.

Offline welchbloke

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2010, 03:45:21 AM »
You can turn them off in 5.20
Welchbloke

Offline Vanigo

• Lt. Commander
  • V
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2010, 12:27:47 PM »
Quote from: "Erik Luken"
4,000km/s tracking speed. Turret with a 16k speed, and 4x size for speed fire control. ECM will be a bitch though.
How's that help? That'd get me one volley off before they get out of range - and that's if the fleet is at 100% TF training. I'd need about a hundred mesons per enemy ship to do any serious damage.

I know you can turn them off now, but I really want a chance to play around with them; just not at a hopeless tech disadvantage.

Offline Hawkeye

• Silver Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2010, 01:11:43 PM »
To be honest, I don´t think beam weapons on capital ships are viable. Try FACs/fighters with mesons or massed (read box launchers) missile attacks.
Ralph Hoenig, Germany

Offline Vanigo

• Lt. Commander
  • V
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2010, 02:02:12 PM »
Hey... can you drop boarding parties on a ship with absorption shields? I know normal shields block them, but...