Author Topic: C# Aurora Changes Discussion  (Read 447778 times)

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Star Marshal
  • S
Re: C# Aurora Changes Discussion
« Reply #2085 on: January 06, 2019, 11:51:14 AM »
Fixed the text. Theoretically, destabilisation could be added as an option but I want to have a lot more experience with the AI before I open that particular door :)

Can the AI/civilian handle jump tenders now? I would really like to try some games without any jump gates or stabilized points at all.

Not yet. There is an automated design for jump tender and I did make a start on this code but I ran into some issues. I've left it for now but I plan to go back and finish it at some point. The AI does have jump ships now but they are with fleets, not acting as independent tenders.

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #2086 on: January 09, 2019, 01:17:06 PM »
Frigusium is my new favourite word.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #2087 on: January 09, 2019, 01:40:29 PM »

Offline Kelewan

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • K
« Reply #2088 on: January 10, 2019, 04:20:24 PM »
Steve regarding the screenshots in the "The Great Crusade - Background and Starting Conditions"

I expected to see the planet population capacity in the "Home World" summery tab
next to or below "Population Supported by Infrastructure". Did I miss the information in the screenshots?
Or is there a dedicated Information Page when you select Sol?

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #2089 on: January 10, 2019, 05:57:56 PM »
Steve regarding the screenshots in the "The Great Crusade - Background and Starting Conditions"

I expected to see the planet population capacity in the "Home World" summery tab
next to or below "Population Supported by Infrastructure". Did I miss the information in the screenshots?
Or is there a dedicated Information Page when you select Sol?

Yes, that is a good idea. You can see it on the system view window, but probably needs to be on the pop summary as well.

Offline Desdinova

• Lt. Commander
  • D
« Reply #2090 on: January 10, 2019, 06:59:05 PM »
Linguist (of sorts) here: The -ium suffix in an element name would replace the -us declension. For example, it's uranium, not uranusium. Frigium and aestium would sound more natural.

Offline BAGrimm

• Leading Rate
  • B
« Reply #2091 on: January 10, 2019, 09:01:44 PM »
So i was just reading the C# lore that Steve posted.   It occurred to me that if stars do accumulate TN materials the same as any other large mass, they would necessarily have massive quantities of these materials stored up.  As was mentioned in the lore post, these materials are essentially impossible to harvest, being inside an active star and all.  But what happens after, say, the star goes supernova? Do the TN materials remain focused near the center of the nova, or do they scatter during the event? Could supernova remnants be potential gold mines for TN materials? Just an idle thought that i felt needed sharing.

Offline Barkhorn

• Commodore
  • B
« Reply #2092 on: January 10, 2019, 09:37:47 PM »
Related question: What about starlifting?  i.e. mining stars.  This is plausible for a sufficiently large empire, even using real physics.  It's a long topic I don't really want to get in to, but if you want to know how it would work, look up Isaac Arthur on Youtube.

My point being, if its not out of the realm of possibility in real life, surely it should be possible given transnewtonian tech.

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #2093 on: January 10, 2019, 10:17:21 PM »
Related question: What about starlifting?  i.e. mining stars.  This is plausible for a sufficiently large empire, even using real physics.  It's a long topic I don't really want to get in to, but if you want to know how it would work, look up Isaac Arthur on Youtube.

My point being, if its not out of the realm of possibility in real life, surely it should be possible given transnewtonian tech.
Where do you think the invaders get their ships from? To them our space is the 'weird other dimension". they're just coming here to investigate where all their sorium is going.
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline The Forbidden

• T
« Reply #2094 on: January 11, 2019, 12:51:16 AM »
Quote from: MarcAFK link=topic=8497. msg112035#msg112035 date=1547180241
Quote from: Barkhorn link=topic=8497. msg112034#msg112034 date=1547177867
Related question: What about starlifting?  i. e.  mining stars.   This is plausible for a sufficiently large empire, even using real physics.   It's a long topic I don't really want to get in to, but if you want to know how it would work, look up Isaac Arthur on Youtube.

Where do you think the invaders get their ships from? To them our space is the 'weird other dimension".  they're just coming here to investigate where all their sorium is going.

"All of your fuel are belong to us" XD

I always thought the invaders were extra galactic and not from the Aether though.  Oh well, I might have just played too much AI War lately ^^.

Offline The Forbidden

• T
« Reply #2095 on: January 11, 2019, 12:52:59 AM »
Quote from: Barkhorn link=topic=8497. msg112034#msg112034 date=1547177867
Related question: What about starlifting?  i. e.  mining stars.   This is plausible for a sufficiently large empire, even using real physics.   It's a long topic I don't really want to get in to, but if you want to know how it would work, look up Isaac Arthur on Youtube.

Yes, but once we have that, why shouldn't we have ringworlds, Dyson swarms, ect ? I think the scope of such an engineering project is far, far beyond that of which is possible in the game.  Or at least that's my opinion.

Offline The Forbidden

• T
« Reply #2096 on: January 11, 2019, 12:54:26 AM »
Quote from: BAGrimm link=topic=8497. msg112033#msg112033 date=1547175704
So i was just reading the C# lore that Steve posted.    It occurred to me that if stars do accumulate TN materials the same as any other large mass, they would necessarily have massive quantities of these materials stored up.   As was mentioned in the lore post, these materials are essentially impossible to harvest, being inside an active star and all.   But what happens after, say, the star goes supernova? Do the TN materials remain focused near the center of the nova, or do they scatter during the event? Could supernova remnants be potential gold mines for TN materials? Just an idle thought that i felt needed sharing.

Like making nebulas noticeably richer than other systems in TN materials ? That would nicely compensate for the slow moving ships and all.

Offline Tree

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #2097 on: January 11, 2019, 02:23:31 AM »
Could you add a "No Nebula" checkbox at game creation since we're on that topic?
I never bother with those, at best I just don't explore them, sometimes I delete them. Would kinda hate to delete also an NPR's link to me or its homeworld, though.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #2098 on: January 11, 2019, 03:29:59 AM »
Could you add a "No Nebula" checkbox at game creation since we're on that topic?
I never bother with those, at best I just don't explore them, sometimes I delete them. Would kinda hate to delete also an NPR's link to me or its homeworld, though.

It's not a problem at the moment since I haven't coded them yet :)

I will add a No Nebula option when I do code them.

The following users thanked this post: Tree, El Pip

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #2099 on: January 11, 2019, 03:30:35 AM »
Quote from: BAGrimm link=topic=8497. msg112033#msg112033 date=1547175704
So i was just reading the C# lore that Steve posted.    It occurred to me that if stars do accumulate TN materials the same as any other large mass, they would necessarily have massive quantities of these materials stored up.   As was mentioned in the lore post, these materials are essentially impossible to harvest, being inside an active star and all.   But what happens after, say, the star goes supernova? Do the TN materials remain focused near the center of the nova, or do they scatter during the event? Could supernova remnants be potential gold mines for TN materials? Just an idle thought that i felt needed sharing.

Like making nebulas noticeably richer than other systems in TN materials ? That would nicely compensate for the slow moving ships and all.

That is already true for VB6 Aurora.