Author Topic: Layers of defense  (Read 329 times)

Offline SentientMeatbag (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • S
Layers of defense
« on: February 26, 2024, 11:29:25 AM »
When I design the defensive doctrine of my ships, I tend to go for a layered approach, stacking on as many different systems as is feasible.  for example, I use armour, shields, CIWS, pd, flares, and 2 kinds of AMM (one for getting rid of decoys and one with retargeting meant for missiles) all together to create a 'layered' defense.  I am not sure if this is meta/optimal, but I think it's cool so I do it for RP purposes. 

Anyway, I was curious about how everyone else handles their defense doctrine, as I feel like their are many threads about individual defensive systems, but not many about how they fit together.

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
Re: Layers of defense
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2024, 01:47:50 AM »
The easiest way is to just stack railgun barges, ie cheap ships with ton of RGs on them and basic BFC and then build a hundred of them. That gives you so much flak to throw at incoming missiles that you can safely sail anywhere you want without a worry. But even if you could afford the minerals, wealth, crews and time to build them, it will also be a bit boring.

When I play a single faction game, I do the same as you - build a defence onion with as many layers as possible, because that is more enjoyable to me. If I am playing a multi-faction game, then RP reasons and Great Power competition informs the choices I make but the goal is pretty much the same, just that usually most powers can't afford to have all layers in use, at least not immediately or in the early game.

The following users thanked this post: SentientMeatbag