Author Topic: Aurora Government Simulator  (Read 27169 times)

Offline Froggiest1982 (OP)

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • F
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
Re: Aurora Government Simulator 2.0
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2020, 02:45:43 AM »
UPDATE 11

I have finished reworking the UI and I have used the spare time to introduce a new feature: the Candidate Profile.

There is a new window you can use to put the name of the candidate and this will be then put into the correct window and with the correct colour for the election. Furthermore, you could use the new PRESTIGE option. As I am moving in into my campaign I have noticed (and compared to previous campaigns as well) that the candidates do not bring anything at the table. Now (if you want, otherwise you can set to 0) you can select a prestige level for each candidate which will produce a bonus considering the level chosen and a series of factors related to the faction.

As I am moving into the final stage I am also working on more QOL features. For the 2.1 I have already introduced:

Auto calculation of the 5% for Close Election, no more need to manually switch
Auto Chancellorship YES or NO selection depending on Government selected, no more need to manually switch
Auto Presidentialism YES or NO selection depending on Government selected, no more need to manually switch
Only the main governments are displayed making it easy to read, less double data and cleaner UI
« Last Edit: November 16, 2021, 02:12:48 AM by Froggiest »

The following users thanked this post: Warer

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • F
Re: Aurora Government Simulator 2.0
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2020, 05:57:54 PM »
UPDATE 12

Based on my latest playthrough here http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=11937.msg142058#msg142058 I have reworked Militancy to be more efficient and growing only in reaction to bigger events such wars. Also I have found out that a couple of markers were swapped, what supposed to be minus was plus and the other way round. I noticed it as even if everything supposed to be quiet Militancy was keep going higher and higher and once I had a big amount of spoil votes was going down.

Now it is working as intended.

The following users thanked this post: Warer

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • F
Aurora Government Simulator 2.1 - OUT NOW!
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2020, 11:04:40 PM »
Aurora Government Simulator 2.1 - OUT NOW!

Hi all,

I think we are at a point to release 2.1 as the update is massive and changes drastically many aspects and it is overall easier to use allowing more people to try it out.

Below the changelog

2.1 Changelog
Balanced DEMOCRACY War Military Ops formula
Balanced DEMOCRACY Industrial Military formula
Balanced DEMOCRACY PRESIDENTIAL War Military Ops formula
Balanced DEMOCRACY PRESIDENTIAL Industrial Military formula
Reworked Production Rules
Reworked Civilian Casualties Rule
Reworked Military Casualties Rule
Reworked Federation Rules
Reworked ELECTORAL FRAUD Unrest now related to Militancy Value
Reworked UI to account for new Constitutional change and cleaner look with less double data
Reworked MATRIARCHAL system to be integrated within the constitution
Reworked PATRIARCHAL system to be integrated within the constitution
Reworked ELECTIVE system to be integrated within the constitution
Reworked ELECTIVE MATRIARCHAL system to be integrated within the constitution
Reworked ELECTIVE PATRIARCHAL system to be integrated within the constitution
Added Minimum amount of voters when EVENT Dangerous Galaxy Y MILITARY FACTION
Added Minimum amount of voters when EVENT Dangerous Galaxy N PACIFIST FACTION
Added Minimum amount of voters when EVENT First Contact Y MERCANTILE FACTION
Added Minimum amount of voters when EVENT First Contact N FEDERALIST FACTION
Added Minimum amount of voters when EVENT Discovered Ruins Y SCIENTIST FACTION
Added Minimum amount of voters when EVENT Discovered Ruins N NATIONALIST FACTION
Added UNREST modifier to population excluded from eligible pop for vote
Added Auto calculation for the winner of Presidential and Chancellorship Election, no more need to manually switch
Added Auto calculation of the 5% for Close Election, no more need to manually switch
Added Auto Chancellorship YES or NO selection depending on Government selected, no more need to manually switch
Added Auto Presidentialism YES or NO selection depending on Government selected, no more need to manually switch
Added CANDIDATE PROFILE WINDOW to better paste and copy candidates names
Added CANDIDATE PRESTIGE LEVEL
Added formulas for prestige level to increase chances of the population to vote for the party of provenience
Added Hawks and Doves Grand Coalitions shall any Federation Coalitions have not the majority in the Senate
Fixed 2 EVENT formulas linked to incorrect references
Fixed Militancy bug that resulted in Militancy only increasing
Fixed Equal formula bug for Voting Rights
« Last Edit: November 16, 2021, 02:13:34 AM by Froggiest »

The following users thanked this post: Black, GodEmperor, Warer

Offline the obelisk

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • t
Re: Aurora Government Simulator 2.1
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2020, 09:24:33 AM »
Is there a specific program I should be using to open this?  Excel seems to give me a warning of missing data or something, and when I proceed and try to follow the election instructions, it results in errors in the values or something.

Offline Ektor

• Lieutenant
  • E
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2020, 11:37:19 AM »
I downloaded OpenOffice just to use this file, but I don't think it works, at least, I couldn't get it to work.

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • F
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2020, 03:29:55 PM »
I downloaded OpenOffice just to use this file, but I don't think it works, at least, I couldn't get it to work.

Can you describe the issue? I'll try to help.

Offline Ektor

• Lieutenant
  • E
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2020, 05:04:25 PM »
I choose the drop down menus, enter the values, and when I press election nothing happens. The file comes with a preset nation, so I erased it and tried my own, but the elections didn't work. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • F
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2020, 02:48:00 AM »
I choose the drop down menus, enter the values, and when I press election nothing happens. The file comes with a preset nation, so I erased it and tried my own, but the elections didn't work. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

May be open office, I will try on it later. Just fyi in the mentime there is a animated gif of the process, maybe thst could help in case it's not a sortware issue.

I use Libre Office, so no sure if there are compatibility issues.

Offline Rich.h

• Captain
  • R
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2020, 04:17:33 AM »
I could be missing something obvious on this tool, does it allow for simulating an election for an entirely new government?

My main use would be to imput all my current government statistics and then periodically roll an election. This would then give me a result using the defined types already on the spreadsheet. The outcome would give me a new set of things like trad, expansion etc, and I would use SM to alter them ingame.

Offline Ostar

• Leading Rate
  • O
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2020, 01:01:24 PM »
I tried both Open Office and Libre Office and it only worked correctly for me with Libre.  Libre is free to download as well.

The following users thanked this post: Froggiest1982

Offline Ektor

• Lieutenant
  • E
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2020, 01:15:14 PM »
I tried both Open Office and Libre Office and it only worked correctly for me with Libre.  Libre is free to download as well.

I'm going to try it. Hope it works.

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • F
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2020, 02:13:23 PM »

I will update on main post after testing

Offline TheTalkingMeowth

• Captain
  • T
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2020, 02:47:12 PM »
I didn't even realize OpenOffice was still being updated. I thought a lot of the maintainers had gone over to LibreOffice and it died.

Offline Ganmero

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • G
« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2020, 09:44:40 AM »
I love this simulator.  Makes everything a bit more challenging. 
RNGesus is quite strong with this one.

Low chance of a vote being rejected? It WILL fail at some point so better have a second plan ready.  And if that has a low chance of rejection. . .  come up with a third plan just in case.

Or spend 30 minutes smoking and drinking coffee to come up with something

The following users thanked this post: Froggiest1982

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • F
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2021, 10:28:46 PM »
UPDATE 18 - TESTING DONE AND NEW 3.0 ANNOUNCEMENT

Hi all,

I must say to have a break was nice and I am now back with a doubled effort. During these holidays I have analyzed the many messages on the features many people wanted to see and or know if they could be implemented. You will be glad to know that except for a few things I managed to put them all in the new update. In the end, I also had the time to look at the Totalitarianism and Oligarchy overhaul. I had to put my AAR on hold because of that as a lot of testing was required (at least one playthrough per modification). I expect to keep working on minor fixes during the next 2 or 3 weeks, but I will do that while keep updating the Political Story, so if you are one of the many readers (400 per post estimated, really really a huge thank you!) rest assured there are going to be some updates soon, probably this week already.

Back to the update: what's new? Well...EVERYTHING! This is why it did make no sense to call the update 2.3 and we have jumped straight into the 3.0 which will include the OLIGARCHY DLC.

The news from the ex 2.3 base simulator first.

There is an entirely new UI which is a rework of the government page and the Home Page (which is now obsolete and deleted). I noticed that I spent more time on the Government Page anyway and the graphics were the only thing that kept me going there, so why not merging them? Done. In doing that a lot of double entries and N/A have been replaced with a blank space and merged into a unique line. In some cases, new tooltips will appear to let you know what is the problem. Cannot vote a motion? Tooltip with cause, etc.

A new Set graphic has been included as well. These are adding to other additions, fixes, and rework posted in the past 2 or 3 months. Literally, every aspect has been refined, polished, and balanced, effectively completing the 2.0 iteration.

Now the new contents and the expansion.

The Oligarchy was the only government form that I couldn't fully test and thanks to many other player feedback who do prefer this system I could collect enough data to actually expand this mechanic without needing to put too much thinking into it. I did have an idea which I have obviously kept while writing the code and designing it and then I have integrated all the suggestions and balances around that.

An oligarchy is a form that mostly revolves around 1 important figure. That could be a King as could be a Totalitarian leader. To recycle the prestige would have not been enough. I always wanted to use the Aurora generated traits somehow and guess what? I did it. Over 150 traits have been all included and they all generate a positive or negative buff. I have ripped off the database, found them, checked the groups, the opposites, and more. I also ensured that the total of the buffs will end up with a big fat 0 to avoid unbalances.

Oligarchy will be then split into 3 main doctrines: Monarchy, Corporate, and Totalitarian. You will also have to decide what is the criteria for the leader to be in power between Birthright, Confidence, Election, and (of course) Life. Election time and other minor things will be automated. I am going to add a small gif for you to see, but I am really proud of this update. I am actually enjoying playing it myself! There is so much into it in terms of roleplay and all it takes if for you to paste and copy the data from Aurora.

Currently, you have 1 Ruler and can nominate up to 3 Successors so that any sort of plot will be doable. A king which sees his realm threatened by his 3 children, a CEO who is losing grip against another 2 or 3 managers, or a Falling Dictator stubbed on the back by his right hand. You name it, you (hopefully) getting it.

There is so much that to actually write the changelog I will have to write a separate post.

Good news: it's completed! So you can expect a release during the weekend.

Thanks, everybody for your messages and constant ideas on how to improve the file, I really appreciated it, please do carry on!

« Last Edit: January 04, 2021, 10:35:30 PM by froggiest1982 »