Author Topic: Trans-Newtonian Campaign - Part 14  (Read 6132 times)

Offline waresky

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
  • Alpine Mountaineer..ohh Yeah!
Re: Trans-Newtonian Campaign - Part 14
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2009, 03:47:46 PM »
Hi Steve
an simple "hail":D..

i think spoke for all here..: we r in tremor awaitn for ur bigg new upload..4.0 brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!! NPR!...emotion:SSS

Offline jfelten

• Lieutenant
  • j
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2009, 06:03:22 AM »
Quote from: "SteveAlt"
At the moment I am leaning toward some type of very short range (10,000 km max), very long recharge (at least several hours) weapon or EW system that would attack all missiles about to hit that ship. It would cause perhaps 1 point of damage so it wouldn't be that useful in an anti-ship role and it would be wasted against small salvos. It wouldn't eliminate the massed salvo but it would give the attacker player something else to consider. The idea for this came from the static screens (I think that was the name) in Traveller. This won't be in v4.0 because i need to give it some serious though. I will probably include this when I do the EW overhaul.

Steve

I think that idea has a lot of merit.  Sort of like an SFB wild weasel or T-Bomb or such.  Be very careful though that it doesn't become too cheap to deploy in quantity and thereby unbalancing.  Note that SFB WW's and TB's are both artificially limited in SFB to avoid such problems.  The balance point is going to be fairly small IMO.  

Here is another idea along the same lines:  Instead of destroying all missiles in flight how about a system that for lack of a better term "stuns" a percentage of missiles in a stack thereby breaking up a swarm and giving anti-missile defenses more time to target them?  One problem I see with that is that it would apply to small salvoes as well perhaps making missiles under-effective.  Another potential thought problem is that if it was cheap to deploy in quantity missile stacks would get sub-divided until they were individual missiles.  

Another idea I'll throw out is area effect missile defenses that destroy more attacking missiles the denser the attacking missile swarm is, but doesn't take out an entire swarm in one shot.

Offline jfelten

• Lieutenant
  • j
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2009, 06:05:43 AM »
Quote from: "waresky"
Hi Steve
an simple "hail":D..

i think spoke for all here..: we r in tremor awaitn for ur bigg new upload..4.0 brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!! NPR!...emotion:SSS

Actually I'm looking more forward to 4.1 after the flood of NPR AI bug reports flood in and get addressed.  But I'll be happy to invest what time I can in to testing 4.0.

Offline schroeam

• Lt. Commander
  • s
  • "Let's try a new strategy, let the Wookiee win"
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2009, 08:08:13 AM »
Steve,

Just a question on AI NPR's.  Does the SM receive some of the same reports as player races, and does the AI establish communications with the prisoners they've captured?

Adam.

Offline SteveAlt (OP)

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2009, 10:34:11 AM »
Quote from: "adradjool"
Steve,

Just a question on AI NPR's.  Does the SM receive some of the same reports as player races, and does the AI establish communications with the prisoners they've captured?
The AI controlled races are outside the control of the SM so he doesn't get reports on them. He does know when one race has entered the same system as another, even if one is an NPR. NPRs will interrogate prisoners to gain Spy Points. I don't think I have set them up to establish comms yet but that is a good idea.

Steve