Author Topic: Aurora Multiplayer Game  (Read 10717 times)

Offline Vynadan

• Lt. Commander
  • V
Re: Aurora Multiplayer Game
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2012, 01:03:41 AM »
An update every two to three days is not something I'm able to do. I only have access to my home PC on the weekends, with my laptop running aurora quite poorly and with mismatched windows. The way it is, you'll have to count me out of it.
The most I could do is one update a week.

Offline sublight (OP)

• Pulsar 4x Dev
  • Captain
  • s
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2012, 05:39:02 AM »
It's actually an update every 4-6 days. 2-3 days for the players, 2-3 days for the SM. 1-2 cycles per week depending on if the turn-around runs fast or slow.

Hmmmm.
Player moves due by end of weekend, SM resolution out before start of weekend. Exactly 1-cycle a week. That's somewhat slower, but still doable. I'm unsure of the added rigidity though.

Vynadan: Antagonist has already offered to be a co-emperor. Would you be interested in jointly controlling an Empire? The two of you could split the week up to weekend and weekday update responsibility, and keep the other updated on ongoing developments.

Antagonist, would you be up for primary command of Earth if Vynadan thinks joint control problematic?

Offline Antagonist

• Pulsar 4x Dev
  • Sub-Lieutenant
  • A
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2012, 08:29:02 AM »
It's all up to Vynadan.  If he wants I can play as an operations minister concerned with day-to-day where he plays dictator concerned with long term.

If not can figure something else out.

Offline Vynadan

• Lt. Commander
  • V
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2012, 10:28:46 AM »
I'll leave Earth to Antagonist.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 10:38:41 AM by Vynadan »

Offline Antagonist

• Pulsar 4x Dev
  • Sub-Lieutenant
  • A
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2012, 01:44:01 AM »
@Vynadan:
Alright, I'll leave initial ship design and research path selection to you.  Need to pick a naming theme, since there is some nice ones like Greek.

I'll take over and be named as whatever administrator is best suited to administrate Earth, with you assuming the administrator best suited as sector commander (once we have that built of course).

@sublight: You should probably create a new thread in the Fiction section I think for this when it starts?  I dunno if you want to split any roleplay posts with info and updates posts which might need 2 threads.  Odd that the Aurora forums doesn't have a section dedicated to Community games.

@sublight, Vynadan: I'll PM you both my email addy.  As for IM or other methods of contact I am on gtalk, IRC, skype, should you request.

EDIT: Also, any rules on inter-system communication, espionage, SM ship build points, research trades and how much of what we do is public or private?
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 02:08:26 AM by Antagonist »

Offline Atlantia

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • This is a wug.
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2012, 07:53:23 AM »
I assume you guys will be doing updates of your turns? In any case, I look forward to any visibility of your game on here!
Now there are two of them.   There are two ______.

Offline OAM47

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2012, 10:29:24 AM »
I prefer the "either transit or JG needed for comms" approach, but I was wondering about player diplomacy right off the bat.

Offline sublight (OP)

• Pulsar 4x Dev
  • Captain
  • s
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2012, 12:37:29 PM »
Order of business:

A Fiction Thread:
Yes, this game will have one. I've even put in a request for a Multiplayer/Community game subform. Not sure if this game will end up being documented in a 'Multiplayer Fiction' 'Multiplayer Senerio' or 'Sublight's Fiction.' If none of those exist when it's time to start I'll create a generic fiction topic for turn/diplomacy discussion.

Game Record Keeping:
I'll be publishing out of date 'Empire Fact Sheets' periodically to help outside observers keep track of who-who. Think CIA World FactBook, with data 5-15 years out of data depending on how common the knowledge likely is within your empire. Player thoughts/insights/fiction encouraged. I'm hoping to have a "yesterday's news" section describing in some detail thoughts/insights/developments form 10 years ago. Hopefully the time delay will let players be a little more open on otherwise sensitive details.

Communication:
I figured the ships all had quantum-entanglement FTL Interstellar coms, but I'll add some restrictions if the majority of players want additional restrictions. I feel "transit or JG required" is too restrictive, but "Coms take X-time to transmit. Faster death = no message sent" or "1-jump range. Communication chain required" are possible.

Player races start with full communication to each-other. The Government Leaders (players) may communicate publicly or privately.

Espionage, Diplomacy, and Trade
Normal Aurora 4x Espionage in effect. Diplomacy rules modified.

Government Treaties: By agreement or extortion Players may make agreements, treaties, etc. Negotiations may be private, but any official agreement or proclamation needs to be publicly announced.

Civilian Agreements: A measure of how closely the citizens of two nations are willing to work with each other, as described by normal NPR relation/treaty mechanics. Modification: Relations levels locked by SM to prevent same-system military ship tension. At any time by mutual agreement relations may be reset to '0.' Relations may be further improved by diplomacy teams: each diplomacy adds 1/2 their rating annually to the target and senders opinion of the other. +50% bonus for every civilian treaty.

Trade: Technology/ship/mineral/facility/foreign aid exchanges and transfers are permitted. They may be negotiated privately, but must be announced publicly. If two sides trade tech, the third side will be told both what was traded.

Minerals may be traded by ship or mass driver (the latter an SM transfer between mass drive equipped bodies).
Facility trades require transport of moved to a different body. No teleportation.

Game Start
Lets say 3-days after I requested starting Tech/Industry/password choices. Thats a little less than 36 hours from now. Players have until then to clarify an pre-start racial detail before the SM starts filling in any missing blanks.

Offline OAM47

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2012, 01:50:54 PM »
Well, I'm far from dead set on that being the communication rule.  In short, I'd be happy as long ships have a chance to "go missing" from time to time, IE if we find a NPR that blows up a scout, I'd like to have to send a full expedition to find out what caused it.

I could go with delayed communication if no gate, the only question is how long/does it varry depending on real distances, etc. And of course, I'm in favor of a one hit wonder not sending off an SOS :P

Offline Vynadan

• Lt. Commander
  • V
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2012, 05:30:13 PM »
With 'leaving Earth to Antagonist' I meant to say that I won't be playing the faction at all, because I just can't keep up with the planned schedule ;)

Offline sublight (OP)

• Pulsar 4x Dev
  • Captain
  • s
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2012, 09:32:53 AM »
Empires created. Database download link PMs sent out.

There are three DropBox options:
A) Download only. Players get the database, review all the little details, and send the me a list of empire orders for implementation. Implementing all the orders might take an extra day, extending the SM turn cycle out to 2-4 days. This is the current setup.
B) Shared Folder. Requires all players to have DropBox accounts. I like this option, but requires the players to send me whatever e-mail is associated with their account so I can make the invites.
C) Shared account.
   c i) Share my account. I give the players my dropbox password so they can do uploads/downloads to my account.
   c ii) Create dedicated Aurora Multiplayer account. This requires creating a dedicated game-email.

Both 'B' and 'C' would require some player coordination to ensure no saved orders get overwritten.

Fiction Chat/Diplomacy topic coming once I get the game distribution issue settled.

Offline OAM47

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2012, 11:26:58 AM »
A, because B and C are asking for an accident to happen.

Offline Antagonist

• Pulsar 4x Dev
  • Sub-Lieutenant
  • A
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2012, 12:17:23 PM »
C is.  I'm willing to do B though.  A is also doable, if more work for SM.

Offline sublight (OP)

• Pulsar 4x Dev
  • Captain
  • s
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2012, 04:12:00 PM »
Disagreement = SM choice.  ;D

Lets at least try Option C: Shared account DropBox uploading.
I've sent all players a PM containing the DropBox account name and password.

Also, this will be the last post here.

All further game IC and OOC talk will be here, in the fiction section under 'Children of Sol: Aurora Multiplayer'.

EDIT: If any of you all ready use DropBox and would prefer to use a shared folder, send me a PM with your E-mail and I'll make an invite for the appropriate folder. Or you can log in and invite yourself. Whatever works.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 05:00:41 PM by sublight »

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2012, 11:21:45 AM »
Interesting thread. I'm actually planning to a forum multiplayer game where a bunch of players act as the El Presidente of various Earth countries/blocs, though I'd be the only with actual access to the game and thus act as a referee/judge/gamemaster/SM and not take part in the game itself.

Anyway, how does
Relations levels locked by SM to prevent same-system military ship tension.
work in essence? Is there a box you can tick in the diplomacy menu or do you mean that you regularly "reset" the diplomacy scores?

For others who have tried something like this before, any hints&tips would be appreciated.

Good luck with your game, sublight, Antagonist and OAM47!