Author Topic: C# Aurora v0.x Suggestions  (Read 345411 times)

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Star Marshal
  • S
Re: C# Aurora v0.x Suggestions
« Reply #105 on: March 23, 2018, 11:24:05 AM »
What about allowing civilians to transport everything the player can, with the possible exception of missiles and ground troops?

In real life, the US military doesn't transport rare earth metals in from Africa, even if they are strategically important.

Yes, I may add minerals at some point. It's more a case of not getting around to it yet, rather than any fundamental objection.

The following users thanked this post: TMaekler

Offline waresky

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
  • Alpine Mountaineer..ohh Yeah!
« Reply #106 on: March 23, 2018, 02:15:37 PM »
What about allowing civilians to transport everything the player can, with the possible exception of missiles and ground troops?

In real life, the US military doesn't transport rare earth metals in from Africa, even if they are strategically important.

+1

Interesting idea.

The following users thanked this post: QuakeIV

Offline TMaekler

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #107 on: March 25, 2018, 08:20:47 AM »
Are there any plans to lift the transport restrictions on some of the buildings? There are few (like the financial centers), but they seem to be arbitrary and an annoyance ingame.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #108 on: March 25, 2018, 09:20:11 AM »
Are there any plans to lift the transport restrictions on some of the buildings? There are few (like the financial centers), but they seem to be arbitrary and an annoyance ingame.

Yes, you can move financial centres, and everything else, in C# Aurora. The new code is written to allow any buildings to move (even if I haven't invented them yet), while in VB6 I had to write specific movement orders for different buildings.

The following users thanked this post: Froggiest1982, Barkhorn, TMaekler, serger, waffel, King-Salomon

Offline snapto

• Bronze Supporter
  • Petty Officer
  • s
  • Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter : Support the forums with a Bronze subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #109 on: March 25, 2018, 07:26:42 PM »
The new screenshots of the Ship view/Naval Organization are looking good.  Would it be possible to have a way to identify with a glance at the Naval Org view what ships are damaged (different ship name text color or an '*')?  It's currently sometimes a hassle to go back and forth between the damaged ships screen and the fleet/ship window.

The following users thanked this post: TheBawkHawk

Offline TheBawkHawk

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • T
« Reply #110 on: March 26, 2018, 12:51:17 AM »
The new screenshots of the Ship view/Naval Organization are looking good.  Would it be possible to have a way to identify with a glance at the Naval Org view what ships are damaged (different ship name text color or an '*')?  It's currently sometimes a hassle to go back and forth between the damaged ships screen and the fleet/ship window.

Yes please, if it's not already a thing. I'd prefer different colours for the ship names. How I'm thinking it could work is have one colour for undamaged, a different colour (yellow?) if the ship only has armour damage, and then another colour (red?) if the ship has damaged internal components.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #111 on: March 26, 2018, 06:07:53 PM »
Yes please, if it's not already a thing. I'd prefer different colours for the ship names. How I'm thinking it could work is have one colour for undamaged, a different colour (yellow?) if the ship only has armour damage, and then another colour (red?) if the ship has damaged internal components.

I've changed the colour of ships with damaged components to red and those with only armour damage to orange.

The following users thanked this post: Bremen, snapto, TheBawkHawk

Offline TMaekler

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #112 on: March 27, 2018, 08:54:48 AM »
Has anyone ever heard about virtual components? No? Well, now you have. But what are they?

The idea came to me whilst designing new ships. What I sometimes do is SM a certain component (or maybe three to five variations) to see, if they fit my overall design and how much they affect other components which could lead to designing special components (like a new engine).
If I am happy I basically delete these virtial components and research them the proper way.

So how about a button in the tech designer which does exactly that? Insteat of giving a tech to research it creates a virtual component which can be used in ship design. However, that design can't be locked down as long as it has those components in it. Which leads to the next button in the tech designer. Transfer virtual component to research - which then after proper research converts it to a real component.

These virtual components must be clearly distinguishable, of course.

The following users thanked this post: GeaXle

Offline TCD

• Lt. Commander
  • T
« Reply #113 on: March 27, 2018, 09:01:22 AM »
Has anyone ever heard about virtual components? No? Well, now you have. But what are they?

The idea came to me whilst designing new ships. What I sometimes do is SM a certain component (or maybe three to five variations) to see, if they fit my overall design and how much they affect other components which could lead to designing special components (like a new engine).
If I am happy I basically delete these virtial components and research them the proper way.

So how about a button in the tech designer which does exactly that? Insteat of giving a tech to research it creates a virtual component which can be used in ship design. However, that design can't be locked down as long as it has those components in it. Which leads to the next button in the tech designer. Transfer virtual component to research - which then after proper research converts it to a real component.

These virtual components must be clearly distinguishable, of course.
That would be amazing. Especially for fighters and FACs where component size is so critical.

Offline hostergaard

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • h
« Reply #114 on: March 27, 2018, 09:44:22 AM »
Multiplayer support, SM limiting what each player can see and do according to their role?

So I kinda want to run a "campaing" in my local D&D club. It would be nice if one could have some short of multiplayer support so that each empire can be controlled on separate computers. So you could have various people or even groups of people controlling each empire, but the GM don't have to do everything. Or at the very least, make it so that the SM can disallow empire from taking turns so he could just pass the save around and not worrying about anyone metagaming.

Would be even more nice if perhaps you could make it so each player only know what their person in the game know, so you could have different factions inside an empire doing different things. So the captain of the ship sees the things the ships sees, and what is generally known in the empire. The admiral of the fleet may have a more complete picture, but maybe still not know what the guy in charge of spy ops are up to. Would make for some fun roleplaying.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 11:54:54 AM by hostergaard »

Offline Dr. Toboggan

• Chief Petty Officer
  • D
« Reply #115 on: March 27, 2018, 10:19:28 AM »
Could it be possible to add a feature to the Create Research window for engines to input a tonnage, and it would show you the speed you get with one engine? That would remove a lot of the busy work of instant researching a number of engines for a ship, just to see a possible speed.  Or maybe an "add mass" button in Create Ship Design, which would add in a "virtual component" (like TMaekler's post) that would show the speed with your desired number of engines.

Offline hostergaard

• h
« Reply #116 on: March 27, 2018, 11:52:09 AM »
Reposting my suggestion from 7.x as it seems more appropriate here:

Make us design ship hulls rather than ships. 

That is, instead of designing a complete ship and tooling a shipyard for it we design a hull with various hull spaces, hard points and mounts where ship system appropriate for said spot can mounted.  Have said hull be a racial research, then shipyards can tool for said hull.  After that ship variants can be designed from said hull (and possibly researched), by adding different systems in the appropriate places and all variants can then be build in the shipyard tooled for said hull.

See for example Star Citizen and their hull variation for inspiration. 

More elaborate explanation here
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 11:54:12 AM by hostergaard »

Offline hostergaard

• h
« Reply #117 on: March 27, 2018, 11:53:47 AM »
Reposting my suggestions from 7.x as it seems more appropriate here:

Civilian contracts for racial tech (and possibly ships)

Instead of having your researcher do the engineering work of researching racial tech have private companies do it by defining system specs (kinda like wedo now) and have civilian companies develop their own designs that varies somewhat in specs, features, cost and so on (partially random, partially according to each company strength and weaknesses, tough they always at minimum add here to the given specs) that they use as a bid on said system specs. The player can then give out various contracts to said companies.

More here

Offline the obelisk

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • t
« Reply #118 on: March 27, 2018, 02:42:55 PM »
You can offer government contracts, which the civilians will fulfill, but the price you pay beyond the immediate contract cost is the disruption of the civilian economy. Decisions need both advantages and disadvantages or they aren't decisions.
Doesn't this lend itself more to the approach of allowing players to take considerable control over the civilian sector at the cost of ever increasing economic inefficiencies?  You can already pick economically totalitarian regimes, so that kind of approach would seem to lend itself to that.

Reposting my suggestion from 7.x as it seems more appropriate here:

Make us design ship hulls rather than ships. 

That is, instead of designing a complete ship and tooling a shipyard for it we design a hull with various hull spaces, hard points and mounts where ship system appropriate for said spot can mounted.  Have said hull be a racial research, then shipyards can tool for said hull.  After that ship variants can be designed from said hull (and possibly researched), by adding different systems in the appropriate places and all variants can then be build in the shipyard tooled for said hull.

See for example Star Citizen and their hull variation for inspiration. 

More elaborate explanation here

That would be a complete conceptual rework of how ships fit together, which doesn't really sound that appealing.

Offline Peroox

• Petty Officer
  • P
« Reply #119 on: March 27, 2018, 02:55:29 PM »
Don't remember numbers but you can have one "hull" and a lot of variants of them, and every variant can be built in the same shipyard as basic model.