Author Topic: C# Aurora v0.x Suggestions  (Read 345078 times)

Offline Jovus

• Lt. Commander
  • J
Re: C# Aurora v0.x Suggestions
« Reply #225 on: May 17, 2018, 05:24:40 AM »
He's in charge of it, and can tell it where to go, but the captain is responsible for it, and unless the senior staff has issues the captain is really the last authority on the matter.

This is very much a matter of difference between services, and between the same service at different times. For example, this is the immemorial custom of the Royal (British) Navy, but very much less usual with Age of Sail squadrons in the French and Spanish navies.

Or so I've been lead to believe; I'd be quite happy to learn otherwise.

Offline TMaekler

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #226 on: May 17, 2018, 06:50:06 AM »
I am not sure at the moment if I am wrong about a concept in VB6 Aurora. If so, just ignore this posting. If I am right, then at the moment a rocket that is led to a target via an active sensor, the moment the active sensor gets lost, the rocket gets lost, right? If not, again, just ignore this.
But if so, it would be nice if in C# Aurora the game would automatically create a waypoint for the rockets where the last known position of the target was, the moment the active sensor got lost. So in case the rocket itself has an active sensor it then can engage that at that waypoint and see, if there is an enemy ship nearby.

Offline Peroox

• Petty Officer
  • P
« Reply #227 on: May 17, 2018, 07:24:39 AM »
Quote from: Person012345 link=topic=9841. msg108230#msg108230 date=1526494877

Sure, if you' Realistically a kinetic weapon would be next to useless unless fired at a very very high fraction of c because the target can simply dodge out the way. 

It's hard to hit something from long range that use combat maneouvers.  To make dodge you need to "see" projectile, and thing is that kinetic projectile don't have any termal or electromagnetic trace.  So it's depends on resoluton and size of active sensor.  Projectile can be smaller than missile size 1 so much more harder to track down.

Should be good weapon for stealth ship.  If enemy don't know that enemy is close kinetic weapon can have almost 100% chance to hit from any range, like against stationary target.  But that will be hard to be programmed.

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #228 on: May 17, 2018, 02:05:17 PM »
I am not sure at the moment if I am wrong about a concept in VB6 Aurora. If so, just ignore this posting. If I am right, then at the moment a rocket that is led to a target via an active sensor, the moment the active sensor gets lost, the rocket gets lost, right? If not, again, just ignore this.
But if so, it would be nice if in C# Aurora the game would automatically create a waypoint for the rockets where the last known position of the target was, the moment the active sensor got lost. So in case the rocket itself has an active sensor it then can engage that at that waypoint and see, if there is an enemy ship nearby.

Last time I checked, a missile WITHOUT on-board sensors would self-destruct if it lost target lock.  A missile WITH on-board sensors would continue on -- no change in direction or speed -- while constantly looking for a new target.

This second action is the main benefit for missiles-with-sensors, and thus will not be extended to non-sensor-equipped missiles.

Offline JacenHan

• Captain
  • Discord Username: Jacenhan
« Reply #229 on: May 17, 2018, 03:29:27 PM »

Last time I checked, a missile WITHOUT on-board sensors would self-destruct if it lost target lock.  A missile WITH on-board sensors would continue on -- no change in direction or speed -- while constantly looking for a new target.

This second action is the main benefit for missiles-with-sensors, and thus will not be extended to non-sensor-equipped missiles.
That is correct, except I think missiles with sensors will stop at the last location of their target.

Offline TMaekler

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #230 on: May 17, 2018, 11:36:33 PM »
A new command for loading minerals. "Load Minerals when X available". So if the total sum of all minerals is over a certain number, then fill the cargo hold with them.

The following users thanked this post: waresky

Offline leonidas1283

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • l
« Reply #231 on: May 18, 2018, 06:17:07 AM »
Can you make the VB6 saves work with C#?

Offline sloanjh (OP)

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #232 on: May 18, 2018, 07:41:10 AM »

The answer will be "no".  Steve only supports previous saves for minor version updates.  C# will have completely different information in the database (and possibly a different database system as well - I don't remember); it would take WAY too much time for him to write a front-porting tool.

John

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #233 on: May 18, 2018, 01:06:47 PM »

The answer will be "no".  Steve only supports previous saves for minor version updates.  C# will have completely different information in the database (and possibly a different database system as well - I don't remember); it would take WAY too much time for him to write a front-porting tool.

John

Yep, sqlite (if I recall) from MS Access.

Maybe. Maybe he will write a conversion program. Or someone else with knowledge of the databases will.

Offline Jovus

• Lt. Commander
  • J
« Reply #234 on: May 18, 2018, 05:41:41 PM »
Maybe. Maybe he will write a conversion program. Or someone else with knowledge of the databases will.

I hope not, since instead he could be using that time making Aurora better, or doing something else fun, or walking the dog, or taking a shower...

Basically that's really low on my personal priority list.

Offline Person012345

• Captain
« Reply #235 on: May 19, 2018, 04:25:41 AM »
Even aside from the structural changes in the code, the changes to the mechanics alone would render saves incompatible and in need of some conversion. You couldn't simply slap an old save into the new game and go, what would happen to ground units for instance?

Offline TMaekler

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #236 on: May 19, 2018, 06:44:13 AM »
Suggestion to separate two different kinds of messages from the event log. "Officer Update" includes every report of change an officer is undergoing (increase in whatsoever, experience gain, etc.). And it also includes "Hans XY has not been given an assignment for the past x years and is deemed surplus", as well as "Peter ABC has retired from service at the age of XY".

Usually I don't care much about the increase in gain, etc., but I would like to see retirements and surplus. But since both are found under "Officer Update" I have to "endure" all the updates in the log or miss out on the retirement-surplus if I switch that group off. So I would love to see them in a separate message group.

Offline TMaekler

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #237 on: May 19, 2018, 06:47:23 AM »
Even aside from the structural changes in the code, the changes to the mechanics alone would render saves incompatible and in need of some conversion. You couldn't simply slap an old save into the new game and go, what would happen to ground units for instance?
Depends on how many changes there are "under the hood". Aurora has quite a large amount of background database stuff, which might make it quite impossible to "translate" a game from VB6 to C#. Nevertheless, when C# comes out, I plan to take a look into this (and then eventually refrain from it totally because of "too complex to do"). We'll see...

Offline Needler

• Leading Rate
  • N
« Reply #238 on: May 20, 2018, 12:21:19 AM »
As far as a conversion goes, I'd be fine with just getting the Systems, Planets and Warp Connections.  Everything else I can SM recreate, and would prefer to to account for different rules and techs.  Maybe general NPR info (economy, tech level, number of ships) would be nice but not strictly necessary.

Offline Coleslaw

• I got the Versacis on, stop playin'!
  • Warrant Officer, Class 2
« Reply #239 on: May 20, 2018, 11:07:13 AM »
Some current event log notifications are all or nothing, i. e.  You hear about officers, administrators, and scientists dying/worsening in health, but most of the time they're just some random person you don't care about.  What if you could set certain positions as having high priority notifications so that you can know about the positions you actually care about, i. e.  "Your administrator for the position of Sector Commander of Earth Sector has just died. "

The following users thanked this post: Demonides, Garfunkel, Zincat, JacenHan, Barkhorn, Kytuzian, TMaekler, King-Salomon, the obelisk