Author Topic: Shipyards/Fast OB Creation Question  (Read 2838 times)

Offline Aurora1.73 (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • A
Shipyards/Fast OB Creation Question
« on: July 13, 2014, 06:56:39 PM »
I don't think I quite understand this, from following the 12 post tutorials I was reflecting the use of the Shipyard and Fast OB Creation

Fast OB
"The Fast OB Creation window allows you to quickly set up your starting forces without having to build them"

Shipyards
"All ships greater than 500 tons have to be built in Shipyard Complexes (everything of 500 tons and below, i. e.  fighters, can be built in your factories"

The first few ships created are two pairs of survey ships; at first I was somewhat confused, seeing as how both pairs of ships are around 1400 tons; I wondered why I never used the shipyards for their creation
(Maybe I've forgotten though) SM seems essentially make you the Gamemaster-esque player, where pretty much everything can be done instantly without advancing time
I assume the tutorial makes use of SM to get a new player started? Until their confident in what they are doing.
Or maybe I haven't I haven't got far enough in the tutorial for doing everything manually.

Haven't asked much of a question really, I guess - "What is the actual purpose of SM?" It feels like I'm cheating creating ships and components instantly when everything feels like it should be done manually - and taking time to create

Offline Theodidactus

• Registered
  • Commodore
Re: Shipyards/Fast OB Creation Question
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2014, 08:00:05 PM »
Aurora is really more like a tool than a "game"
It is designed to simulate the history of space empires, and provides many tools that help with this simulation.

It is also designed so that more than one player could play it.

In effect, spacemaster works a lot like the "dungeonmaster" of Dungeons and Dragons...it's a person that has almost complete control of the universe, who sets it up a certain way for players. If you're not familiar with Dungeons and Dragons, imagine it a bit like a referee or umpire. he decides things like "Okay, in this universe, it's 2091, and there's a robot empire and a mutant empire and a human empire. the human empire has advanced tech but no ships, the robot empire has many ships but they are on titan which is a bad planet for mineral resources, and the mutant empire has many worlds of high populations but very poor tech and very few ships..." ect.

Most people don't use aurora in this way but the functionality is there.

For a one player game, spacemaster mode is usually used to "set up" the game, create a bunch of ships, explore a few systems, establish big colonies, then the player turns on single player mode and actually starts playing. Unlike many games, there is no real way to "win" aurora so this isn't exactly cheating...I use spacemaster mode in my games to create threats for my civilization to fight...for example, I simulate revolutions on outlying colonies or the discovery of hostile alien races in the depths of space.

It's mostly used to set up things. I like playing scenarios where I start out with literally nothing, 2000's era technology with no shipyards and just some conventional industry and a few (bad) scientists and slllloooooooowly expand into space, but a lot of players want to start out as, say, the highly advanced Voldrakni Collective with fleets of shielded plasma warships. This is how you'd create such a thing.

« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 08:02:27 PM by Theodidactus »
My Theodidactus, now I see that you are excessively simple of mind and more gullible than most. The Crystal Sphere you seek cannot be found in nature, look about you...wander the whole cosmos, and you will find nothing but the clear sweet breezes of the great ethereal ocean enclosed not by any bound

Offline Barkhorn

• Commodore
  • B
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2014, 08:05:44 PM »
If you use the Fast OOB, you'll see you have a limited number of buildpoints.  Same with the free tech at the start of the game.  The idea is that the civilization had other stuff going on before you took over, and those free points allow you to fill in that time.

Of course, nothing's stopping you from spending more than that limit, there's not really any such thing as cheating in Aurora.

Offline Aurora1.73 (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • A
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2014, 08:57:18 PM »
Quote from: Barkhorn link=topic=7344. msg74626#msg74626 date=1405299944
If you use the Fast OOB, you'll see you have a limited number of buildpoints.   Same with the free tech at the start of the game.   The idea is that the civilization had other stuff going on before you took over, and those free points allow you to fill in that time.

Of course, nothing's stopping you from spending more than that limit, there's not really any such thing as cheating in Aurora.

So would you say most players would exhaust their buildpoints and tech from the start of the game using Fast OOB in order to start off? And then continue normally with manual - and normal time?

Offline Aurora1.73 (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • A
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2014, 09:04:17 PM »
Quote from: Theodidactus link=topic=7344. msg74625#msg74625 date=1405299605
Aurora is really more like a tool than a "game"
It is designed to simulate the history of space empires, and provides many tools that help with this simulation.

It is also designed so that more than one player could play it. 

In effect, spacemaster works a lot like the "dungeonmaster" of Dungeons and Dragons. . . it's a person that has almost complete control of the universe, who sets it up a certain way for players.  If you're not familiar with Dungeons and Dragons, imagine it a bit like a referee or umpire.  he decides things like "Okay, in this universe, it's 2091, and there's a robot empire and a mutant empire and a human empire.  the human empire has advanced tech but no ships, the robot empire has many ships but they are on titan which is a bad planet for mineral resources, and the mutant empire has many worlds of high populations but very poor tech and very few ships. . . " ect.

Most people don't use aurora in this way but the functionality is there. 

For a one player game, spacemaster mode is usually used to "set up" the game, create a bunch of ships, explore a few systems, establish big colonies, then the player turns on single player mode and actually starts playing.  Unlike many games, there is no real way to "win" aurora so this isn't exactly cheating. . . I use spacemaster mode in my games to create threats for my civilization to fight. . . for example, I simulate revolutions on outlying colonies or the discovery of hostile alien races in the depths of space.

It's mostly used to set up things.  I like playing scenarios where I start out with literally nothing, 2000's era technology with no shipyards and just some conventional industry and a few (bad) scientists and slllloooooooowly expand into space, but a lot of players want to start out as, say, the highly advanced Voldrakni Collective with fleets of shielded plasma warships.  This is how you'd create such a thing. 

Ahh, I didn't see your post at first, Yes, I'm aware of D&D, granted I've never played tabletop itself, though I've played games simulating the experience of particular rulesets.

Your post clears up a lot of what I've been thinking.
Thanks

One more thing

"For a one player game, spacemaster mode is usually used to "set up" the game, create a bunch of ships, explore a few systems, establish big colonies, then the player turns on single player mode and actually starts playing. "

So in theory you could play without even setting up the game - By having literal barebones of anything, a bit like you mentioned?

Offline Theodidactus

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2014, 11:33:27 PM »
You can have a start without transnewtonian tech, without billions of people, without much except a lab or two, some "conventional industry", a whole bunch of obsolete tanks, and some terrible missile silos. This "non-transnewtonian start" is VERY slow without cheating, but I like it because it lets me establish lore (naming ships centuries afterwards after the first guy to set foot on mars, having offworld colonies cede before powerful ships are created to enforce national laws in deep space, ect)

In my current game I started in 2025 with no tech of any kind. It took me 15-20 years to start building anything resembling an "offworld colony" and I didn't jump to other systems before the late 2060s.
My Theodidactus, now I see that you are excessively simple of mind and more gullible than most. The Crystal Sphere you seek cannot be found in nature, look about you...wander the whole cosmos, and you will find nothing but the clear sweet breezes of the great ethereal ocean enclosed not by any bound

Offline Aurora1.73 (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • A
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2014, 07:40:45 AM »
Quote from: Theodidactus link=topic=7344. msg74633#msg74633 date=1405312407
You can have a start without transnewtonian tech, without billions of people, without much except a lab or two, some "conventional industry", a whole bunch of obsolete tanks, and some terrible missile silos.  This "non-transnewtonian start" is VERY slow without cheating, but I like it because it lets me establish lore (naming ships centuries afterwards after the first guy to set foot on mars, having offworld colonies cede before powerful ships are created to enforce national laws in deep space, ect)

In my current game I started in 2025 with no tech of any kind.  It took me 15-20 years to start building anything resembling an "offworld colony" and I didn't jump to other systems before the late 2060s. 

Now that's the kind of start I love, all I have to do is the learn the game mechanics to the point where I know what to do.
Damn learning Aurora is lengthy.  But it'll make a great role-playing game when I finally understand it

Did it take you long to learn to play?

Offline Theodidactus

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2014, 09:23:07 AM »
Aurora has, bar none, the most active and engaged community I've ever seen when it comes to helping new players. If you ask a question, it gets answered quickly.

I'm STILL learning, because there are elements I've ignored in previous games until now.

It takes a few months to really get the hang of it, but yes there are no other games that really simulate what I want to have simulated.

Offline Barkhorn

• Commodore
  • B
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2014, 01:31:54 PM »
I think Dwarf Fortress actually has a more helpful community, but Aurora's is a very close second.

A relatively quick way to learn aurora is to watch a lets play on youtube.  Specifically Alfapiomega's.  It starts as a tutorial, but by part 20 or so, he ends up having too much fun and keeps playing even once he's done teaching.

Offline Aurora1.73 (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • A
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2014, 05:57:06 PM »
@Theodidactus
Aurora does seem to have a very nice community, due to it being small and dedicated; something you don't see a lot with games.
Damn still learning?
I'm slowly starting to understand the mechanics of Aurora, little by little; it feels like a massive accomplishment even to some of the simple things

@Barkhorn
Prehaps Dwarf Fortress may have a more helpful community due to it being more well know, and played by more people; whilst still retaining a small community, though bigger then Aurora - in order to have this more helpful community

I don't mind taking the time in learning, I've spent several hours going through written tutorials, however after I complete this I will be looking for a lets play/tutorial on the game to solidify my knowledge, Alfapiomega's sounds interesting, starting as a tutorial, then going into normal gameplay.  I'll check him out after I finish up the comprehensive written part of the game

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2014, 06:05:47 PM »
Just be warned, the tutorials and such are for older versions. Some things you might see are no longer there or done differently.

Offline Barkhorn

• Commodore
  • B
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2014, 06:12:53 PM »
Just be warned, the tutorials and such are for older versions. Some things you might see are no longer there or done differently.
Alfapiomega's is for 6.4.2 I believe.  Definitely 6.4 anyways.

And I think you're right about the Dwarf Fortress community Aurora1.73.  Its small enough that it feels tight-nit, but large enough to have tons active members around at all times.

Offline Theodidactus

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2014, 06:25:07 PM »
@Theodidactus
Aurora does seem to have a very nice community, due to it being small and dedicated; something you don't see a lot with games.
Damn still learning?
I'm slowly starting to understand the mechanics of Aurora, little by little; it feels like a massive accomplishment even to some of the simple things

You'll see I submitted a question to the academy a few days ago because I'm still not entirely clear on how worker shortages work after 2 years of playing.

Offline Aurora1.73 (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • A
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2014, 08:05:38 PM »
@Erik Luken
Oh I have noticed the differences, however I've managed perfectly fine after the first 10 tutorials
I have seen how many values are largely different from the older version/s of the game and how these values are now alot smaller in the new versions, e. g.  sensor ranges, fuel ranges, being millions smaller - etc

Finding where certain information was found in different locations was an annoyance (As it had been moved) However I've managed well.

@Barkhorn
I'll check his videos out soon, almost done with the basics

Yup, totally agree

@Theodidactus
Amazing to think you don't know it all after 2 years
This is truly the game I was unawarely looking for

Offline Arwyn

• Gold Supporter
  • Commander
  • A
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2014, 10:34:23 PM »
The big thing with Aurora is that we have folks here that have been hanging around since way back in the hoary old days of Starfire Assistant. That would be all the cranky guys in walkers... ;)

Even those of us who have been playing since the get go still learn stuff. I still find "hidden" gems from time to time, simply because I didnt ever think to try something.

This is one of the few games that truly is "sandbox" and allows you to run wild with your imagination.