Author Topic: Question  (Read 2918 times)

Offline WHCnelson (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • W
Question
« on: July 23, 2012, 05:31:03 AM »
  Hello,

I have a system with three explored warp points and a system sensor net in my game and a race appeared in this system but they did not come threw any known warp point and disapper now where near a warp point.   Is there a way to look for new warp points in an already explored system?

Thanks

William

Offline metalax

• Commander
  • m
Re: Question
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, 06:16:07 AM »
They will be using a "dormant" warp point, ie one that has been generated from the other end into a system that has already been gravsurveyed.

You will need to track them back to the point to observe them as they are transiting in order to discover the point. Alternatively you will have to explore out normally until you reach the system on the other side.

Offline Theokrat

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 07:01:03 AM »
Can't you just re-survey all survey points in the system? The newly activated, previously dormant, jump-point should then be discovered , no?

Offline metalax

• Commander
  • m
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, 07:26:46 AM »
Only by using SM mode to reset the systems jump survey status to unsurveyed.

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2012, 08:53:40 PM »
Can't you just re-survey all survey points in the system? The newly activated, previously dormant, jump-point should then be discovered , no?

This is correct, and is what Steve intended as the primary way to find such newly activated WP.  Note that this is a difference in rules from StarFire, where such WP are called "closed", and can only be detected if you see someone transiting or if you transit from the other side.  Once a dormant WP has been activated in Aurora, it behaves just like a normal WP.

If you have a suspect bearing for the new race, you should survey the survey the locations on that side of the system first - this is because WP are discovered when the closest survey point outsystem (or is it insystem?  I forget) from them is surveyed.

John

PS - Using SM mode to reset the survey points to zero to do the resurvey is in no way "cheating".  This is exactly the sort of situation SM mode is intended for - where you need to do something in a corner case of the game that Steve hasn't put an explicit interface in for.

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2012, 09:40:36 PM »
This is correct, and is what Steve intended as the primary way to find such newly activated WP.  Note that this is a difference in rules from StarFire, where such WP are called "closed", and can only be detected if you see someone transiting or if you transit from the other side.  Once a dormant WP has been activated in Aurora, it behaves just like a normal WP.

If you have a suspect bearing for the new race, you should survey the survey the locations on that side of the system first - this is because WP are discovered when the closest survey point outsystem (or is it insystem?  I forget) from them is surveyed.

John

PS - Using SM mode to reset the survey points to zero to do the resurvey is in no way "cheating".  This is exactly the sort of situation SM mode is intended for - where you need to do something in a corner case of the game that Steve hasn't put an explicit interface in for.

I could have sworn there was a "Mark system as having suspect dormant JP" someplace, that didn't require SM mode.

Offline Hawkeye

• Silver Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2012, 10:56:31 PM »
I could have sworn there was a "Mark system as having suspect dormant JP" someplace, that didn't require SM mode.

Hm, there is the "Suspected Dormant Jump Point" checkbox on the Galactic Map, Main.
I don´t think it does anything, though
Ralph Hoenig, Germany

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2012, 11:56:44 PM »
Hm, there is the "Suspected Dormant Jump Point" checkbox on the Galactic Map, Main.

That's what I was looking for, and you are right. It does not seem to do anything. I checked it on a system that was surveyed and the survey fleet could not perform another survey.

Offline Theokrat

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2012, 03:11:40 AM »
Just to be clear on this one: Let say I have already survey a system and heavily suspect a dormant jump-point was activated from the other side. If I manually order a Grav-Survey Vessel to survey all survey locations one after another, will that spot the dormant jump-point, or will no actual survey be performed (unless I use SM)?

Offline Nathan_

• Pulsar 4x Dev
  • Commodore
  • N
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2012, 03:19:07 AM »
I think you have to spot the transit.

Offline jseah

• Captain
  • j
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2012, 08:22:00 AM »
Manual survey has worked for me once. 

Offline TheDeadlyShoe

• Vice Admiral
  • Dance Commander
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2012, 03:18:39 AM »
If you spot a transit you can find jump points even without knowledge of jump point theory. So you can travel to other systems, even, if it has a gate.

I'm pretty sure that the 'suspected dormant WP' flag is just a convenience tool.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2012, 03:09:54 PM »
Just to be clear on this one: Let say I have already survey a system and heavily suspect a dormant jump-point was activated from the other side. If I manually order a Grav-Survey Vessel to survey all survey locations one after another, will that spot the dormant jump-point, or will no actual survey be performed (unless I use SM)?

If you order a manual survey of each location, that will detect any newly active jump points. The other alternative is to go into SM mode and set the system as unsurveyed on the F9 window. You can them do a complete resurvey using the normal default order method.

You can also detect it by seeing a ship transit.

Steve

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2012, 03:10:44 PM »

It doesn't. The only function for that checkbox is to highlight the system on the galactic map as a reminder

Steve