Author Topic: Advanced Lasers Question  (Read 3471 times)

Offline TT (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • T
Advanced Lasers Question
« on: March 13, 2017, 06:10:21 AM »
I must be missing something. I just received advanced lasers in my current campaign and they appear to allow me to build lasers two sizes smaller than what I can build with conventional lasers. They don't appear to provide any advantages though in damage, range or rate of fire. So they don't appear to outperform their convetional brothers in any way. I haven't gone too far up the tree though so maybe their advantages haven't revealed themselves yet or maybe I just can't see something obvious. Could someone please enlighten me to their advantages?

Offline bean

• Rear Admiral
  • b
Re: Advanced Lasers Question
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2017, 09:43:46 AM »
Advanced lasers are broken in the current version, IIRC.  They were a victim of the code changes Steve made to bring spinal lasers in.
This is Excel-in-Space, not Wing Commander - Rastaman

The following users thanked this post: TT

Offline TT (OP)

• T
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2017, 10:21:20 AM »
Thank you Byron, I'll need to pursue another path to galactic domination!

Offline ChubbyPitbull

• Gold Supporter
  • Sub-Lieutenant
  • C
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2017, 10:36:42 AM »
In the current version you don't see the benefit of advanced lasers technology until the later end of the tech tree. It essentially allows you to build gigantic lasers. The tech lags behind regular laser technology up until 30cm focal size, where advanced is identical to regular lasers. After that, you start getting more bang for your buck. For example, in my current game I just completed 50 cm Advanced Laser Focal size, which allows me to build 80cm lasers. With an advanced spinal mount, that's 120cm of laser fun! The last level of the advanced laser tech is 80cm laser focal size, which allows you to make a Standard Mount 210cm laser.

Offline TT (OP)

• T
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2017, 06:40:43 PM »
Thank you Chubby, You are absolutely correct.  The advanced lasers really pay off in the end!